What backpack?

With summer coming to a close and me getting absolutely soaked on the way home from work yesterday, I think it's time to sort out some weatherproof luggage for my commute. 

I usually have a laptop, a change of clothes, waterproof overalls, lunch box and some small misc bits. 

My previous bike had a top box which would solve the issue but I've a nice CBR 600 now and a box wouldn't look right on it. 

I recon I need about 30-35l bag. Must be waterproof and ideally have a secondary compartment to throw wallet, cards keys etc in. 

£100 should be enough to spend on a rucksack.  

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Best of luck with your search.  I just used my Swiss Army rucksack with a dry bag inside.  Always wondered if a fully waterproof bag would be too sweaty to wear.  

If you have drying facilities or can get more than 1 bag I would go for a fairly good quality one and a inner garden bin bag for the waterproof side.

Waterproof fabric needs redone once in a while. a plastic bin bag can easily be replaced.

48 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I find a Kriega back pack works well. Totally waterproof so far but the design allows for decent ventilation across my back even in current high temperatures. More than £100 though.

Maybe more than £100 but Kriega stuff is worth every penny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Have you considered a waterproof tail pack ?

Some of the rhino or oxford ones look ok and can be worn as a rucksack to carry when off the bike.

Cheers

Ian

I have but I think for an hour or so commute I can walk out of work and go with a rucksack on already. 

I tried a shad 40l tail pack but it wouldn't sit right without extra fitments 

Good luck with finding one that is totally waterproof.  I ride year round, and have used Kriega, which are pretty good, as others have said.  I currently use one designed for walkers, made by Jack Wolfskin.  It has a rechargeable battery that lights a strip around the back of the ruck sack up red, gives greater visibility at night.  Even with the waterproof cover over the ruck sack the red light can still be seen.  I can't remember how much I paid for it but it would definitely be within you budget.

• Thanks 1

Kriega R30 Backpack - nothing else even comes close. Its more than just waterproof, the harness design takes the weight away from the shoulders and underarm. Hydra pack compatible too, but its double your price range 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

Kriega R30 Backpack - nothing else even comes close. Its more than just waterproof, the harness design takes the weight away from the shoulders and underarm. Hydra pack compatible too, but its double your price range 

Looks ideal but out of budget 

I got the Ogio Mach 5 Backpack. works a treat, it has no drag technology, has compartment for laptop tablet, a place to hold spare visor and dedicated shoe/boot storage, removable hip pouch, stretch mesh divider, U-shaped gusset to increase its capacity to hold more. Great ergonomic design. I got mine off ebay for 120 but I've seen it go for 170 even more. Happy with the purchase and looks pretty badass.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ace Swayze said:

I got the Ogio Mach 5 Backpack. works a treat, it has no drag technology, has compartment for laptop tablet, a place to hold spare visor and dedicated shoe/boot storage, removable hip pouch, stretch mesh divider, U-shaped gusset to increase its capacity to hold more. Great ergonomic design. I got mine off ebay for 120 but I've seen it go for 170 even more. Happy with the purchase and looks pretty badass.

I have the same, Its not fully waterproof, though it would take a very long time in a major downpour for water to get in. but that's easily sorted.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I have the same, Its not fully waterproof, though it would take a very long time in a major downpour for water to get in. but that's easily sorted.

I've an hour commute and half that's motorways. Definitely need something waterproof 

1 hour ago, daveinlim said:

I've an hour commute and half that's motorways. Definitely need something waterproof 

Don't buy cheap. I commute and carry a laptop and surveying equipment, puncture kit and pump amongst other bits. The way the Kriega moves the weight away from your shoulders and arms makes for a comfortable ride, believe me I've tried others and they are sh1te compared to Kriega. 

EDIT- I should add, I would probably use another backpack for one off journeys but commuting to and from work roughly 46 weeks year, you soon find out what works when you start to ache 👍

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Don't buy cheap. I commute and carry a laptop and surveying equipment, puncture kit and pump amongst other bits. The way the Kriega moves the weight away from your shoulders and arms makes for a comfortable ride, believe me I've tried others and they are sh1te compared to Kriega. 

EDIT- I should add, I would probably use another backpack for one off journeys but commuting to and from work roughly 46 weeks year, you soon find out what works when you start to ache 👍

I tried a shad 40l bag and it ticks all the boxes but is uncomfortable to wear. 

I've been following some kriega kit on eBay. That might do the job of getting a good bag under RRP.

If not I'll consider buying the bullet and forking out £200. 

• Like 1