Claiming an abandoned bike

Joe85

6 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Right...

MSVA application for a test in Gillingham submitted. I've read through the manual, and it's pretty in-depth but i can't see why the US Spec wouldn't pass - the headlight conforms to E13 which is Luxembourg (apparently) but it doesn't dip to the left or the right, which I think is acceptable. I also looked at UK and US parts lists for the Tuono and both have the same part numbers for the headlight and bulbs. Curiously, the side stand has a different part number 🤔. The only thing i can think may be different is the emissions/noise. I think the test is £80, so easier just to let them inspect it and give me a list of things to correct. Does anyone know if hazard lights are a UK requirement? Because this bike doesn't have a switch for them.

Also, the Immobiliser antenna comes today, so i can finally button it all up completely and give it a good clean and some chain maintenance - then i think it's pretty much done until the inspection.

PS. I gave it a cheeky spin up and down the road - it's awesome. :D

Pretty sure my Triumph Thunderbird doesn't have hazard lights.

• Like 1

Not all bikes have them. I’ve had bikes that haven’t. I think newer ones have started coming with them as standard. 

Found this after asking Google the question 

Indicators are not a requirement on a motorcycle, but if they are present they will be tested and if faulty, will fail (bulb blown for instance). The same applies for Hazard Warning Lights, if there is no switch then they cannot be tested; and as they are not required, there is no failure for them not being present.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As @fullscreenagingsays, if they are fitted they must work, but it's not necessary to have them. I bought a CRF300L this year for green laning, this came with indicators, hazards, and the indicators acted as driving lights when not flashing. Due to the nature of the bikes intended use I removed them, but the bike is still road legal.

Edited by Yorky
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mealexme said:

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed you've almost got it on the road.

I've quite liked coming on here and reading about your adventure, and very jealous of your find!

Thanks mate. :D I'm sure there is much frustration and disappointment still to come. The MSVA Test manual is enormous, with some absolutely ridiculous requirements for conformance (one example being the curvature of the windscreen!!) Even if that is successful, I still have to resubmit my application to the DVSA, get an MOT, get a number plate and then get the effing thing insured.

I reckon it'll be some months yet!

Following the amateur service, I gave her a good clean - think she scrubs up pretty well!

• Like 4

Superb work mate. You should make a movie out of this. 'The no owner Tuono that was claimed by Joe now"

Re hazards the Internet says they're mandatory, but my 2015ish mt125 didn't have them so I'm gonna say no. Maybe it's a new thing? And order bikes wouldn't require a retrofit? Dunno, I'm not an automotive lawyer, as you well know. 

• Like 1

He must owe you a fair bit in storage and restoration costs !

Surely not worth his while collecting it as I am sure your invoice will outweigh his perception of the value of the bike.

I am gutted for you as well.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

I suspect the MVSA test application must have triggered some kind of contact with the owner. Not sure how else he’s have known. 

One things for sure, he ain’t having the new battery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:

I suspect the MVSA test application must have triggered some kind of contact with the owner. Not sure how else he’s have known. 

One things for sure, he ain’t having the new battery.

Give him bugger all. Make him come and collect it and provide proof of ownership. Sounds fishy.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Westerly said:

Give him bugger all. Make him come and collect it and provide proof of ownership. Sounds fishy.

Unfortunately, im a bit buggered.

Originally, I suspected he was a tenant. Bizarrely, it turns out he is employed by the same company as me (and is far more senior so could cause me pain) and did indeed import the bike over in 2020 after a short-term stay in the US. He has also provided proof of ownership in the form of the export document from the US, dated, and in his name.

Fair is fair, it's his bike. Just a bit gutted as his resurfacing was the last thing i was expecting - i searched high and low for this guy, and spoke to the police, the DVSA, the DMV, HMRC, Tower Hamlets borough council, the on-site security team with everyone not knowing who or where he was. As far as i was concerned either COVID had got him or immigration.

Now, the issue is it has been re-coded. He'll be scratching his head if ever decides to fit a new battery and take it for a spin. Might just leave the keys and the code under the passenger seat. His key will turn the lock, it just wont start the bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I wonder if you could email him and say something along the lines of : I understand someone has gone to the trouble of recoding the ignition etc which was giving me trouble if I had decided to try to get the thing running, having spent so much time and effort on this would you consider selling me this non-runner so I can finally get this sorted as a non running bike bugs me.

You never know he might decide you know enough to succeed and he wont lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2