Your worst joke!!!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gerontious said:

IMG_1758.thumb.jpeg.d23a979c1011d548f357ec405c984ac8.jpeg

Do you remember the Porshe design lid with the internal visor released in the late 70`s / erly 80`s ? Not road legal but believe it or not I actually had one back in the day.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Do you remember the Porshe design lid with the internal visor released in the late 70`s / erly 80`s ? Not road legal but believe it or not I actually had one back in the day.

Cheers

Ian

Early Eighties one of BMW's design staff developed a casque modulable. I cant remember what it's called in English, but it's the kind that sort of goes from open face to fully enclosed. He happened to have a holiday cottage near Girvan in Ayrshire and was one day stopped by Strathclyde's finest while riding his BMW. One of the sharp eyed polis noticed that the helmet didn't have a BSI kite sticker on it, which was required in those days to be legal. They asked for his documents which he didn't have with him and when he told them his name was Peter Sellars they were convinced he was taking the piss. So they booked him for not wearing a regulation helmet and he was duly summonsed to the Sheriff Court in Ayr where he was fined £50.  

However within a few months of this the helmet was approved by the BSI and all motorcycle cops in Strathclyde were issued with them.

Peter Sellars sold his holiday cottage in Scotland and vowed never to set foot in the country again.

And the cop who booked him ?  He also was one of our customers, and a nastier more vindictive piece of work you would be hard pressed to meet. He would have been drummed out of the SS for wickedness, he was so bad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, curlylegend said:

Early Eighties one of BMW's design staff developed a casque modulable. I cant remember what it's called in English, but it's the kind that sort of goes from open face to fully enclosed. He happened to have a holiday cottage near Girvan in Ayrshire and was one day stopped by Strathclyde's finest while riding his BMW. One of the sharp eyed polis noticed that the helmet didn't have a BSI kite sticker on it, which was required in those days to be legal. They asked for his documents which he didn't have with him and when he told them his name was Peter Sellars they were convinced he was taking the piss. So they booked him for not wearing a regulation helmet and he was duly summonsed to the Sheriff Court in Ayr where he was fined £50.  

However within a few months of this the helmet was approved by the BSI and all motorcycle cops in Strathclyde were issued with them.

Peter Sellars sold his holiday cottage in Scotland and vowed never to set foot in the country again.

And the cop who booked him ?  He also was one of our customers, and a nastier more vindictive piece of work you would be hard pressed to meet. He would have been drummed out of the SS for wickedness, he was so bad.

So not much has changed vis a vis Scottish police then. My fortunately few encounters with them have been uniformly unpleasant. 

• Like 1

I have since discovered the helmet with the internal visor was sold by Roemer and designed by Ferdinand Porshe.Roemerhelmet.thumb.png.39cc439f8a9fdd869827c6833e1b139b.png

Cheers

Ian

• Like 4

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

So not much has changed vis a vis Scottish police then. My fortunately few encounters with them have been uniformly unpleasant. 

Especially when they discover you are English, found out through bitter experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

Especially when they discover you are English, found out through bitter experience.

Strange world isn't it. The only encounters I've had with the polis on the road have been good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Reminds of the look on a copper's face when he pulled over 7 bikers.....and was told that the first five were vicars and the two guys at the back were bishops. 

It just wasn't his day. 

It's well known that Bishops can only move diagonally. Maybe that's why they were stopped.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Mickly said:

Exactly !   Even Rikki Fulton's Supercop was a twisted b*stard .  There's very few Dixons of Dock Green in Scotland.

And people ask why I left ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

That’s the cooker clock adjusted, now for the bike.

IMG_1761.thumb.jpeg.11a7f696b0cf79676f52dea39338b195.jpeg

I tend to find that if you leave it for six months it magically fixes itself 👍

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I tend to find that if you leave it for six months it magically fixes itself 👍

That offends my OCD.

• Like 2

I must be getting old . Surely I'd remember our conversation if we'd met ? 

Screenshot_20240407-094749.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4