Touring Bike Advice

Andriko

Hi all,

I am thinking about finally getting a bike license (I did the CBT years ago and things came up and I never took it further), and the intention is to get a touring bike for long trips with my girlfriend, and so would like some advice!

The main thing is safety and experience - is a tourer a bit too much bike to start with? My preference, in general, would be a bike that is on the larger/ heavier side and has some grunt, but is easy to keep under control in terms of speed.

Would I be better with a cruiser first, or are there touring models which are more approachable (and affordable!)? For example, the Triumph Trophy seems to be the kind of bike I am looking for, and there also seems to be old 900cc models - would they be a good place to start? Or is even 900cc on a heavier bike still biting off too much?

The thing about tourers that appeals to me is that they are big and heavy, and so even with all the engine power seem to be a bit more manageable, but I could be mistaken in thinking this. At any rate, I really don't care about speed and agility and all that, I'd prefer comfort and stability!

Is there any advice about riding with a pillion I should consider as well - for example, how much experience should I have before considering it?

Also - is the ERS worth doing for the insurance benefits, or does it not make all that much difference?

Thanks for your help!

A

Have a look at the Tracer 900. A very capable bike. 
I owned one for 2 years from 2015. Went to Germany on it for week with some of the guys on here. 
never missed a beat. 

As for riding with pillion..... I had only passed my test a week and took my new girlfriend on back. I never told her I’d only just passed my test.... I’d never had a pillion, she’d never been a pillion. What could possibly go wrong??

I just advised her to keep in line with me and not fight the lean. Not get off the bike until I ask her to (so you can get the bike stable and are ready for any weight transference) Other than that, just be smooth with the gas and braking and you’ll be fine. Like anything the more you do it the easier it gets. 

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

OK Trophy owner here....  1200 - 900 join a trophy group and say one is better than the other, sit back and enjoy....

My Suggestion get a Trophy ideal 2 up tourer, and another lighter bike for solo rides and shorter journeys.
Advantages for Trophy you can get allot of bike for a little money.  Disadvantages if not ridden they need maintenance.

Other bikes are out there FJR Pan european, Honda DUvell, MT09  Transalp, Africa Twin, there are plenty more...

I love my Trophy but the physics of 240 kg means you have to consider stops and parking so much more.

My 180kg TDM 900 I ride any where and I just abandon cause I can push it up hill easily....

I know others will say you can use a tourer they are right however the other bike is so much easier.

• Like 1

you dont need a big heavy bike to go touring, Triump Tiger 1050 or Tracer etc....as said above.

Pan European big heavy lumps and fook ugly but each to their own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andriko said:

The thing about tourers that appeals to me is that they are big and heavy, and so even with all the engine power seem to be a bit more manageable, but I could be mistaken in thinking this. At any rate, I really don't care about speed and agility and all that, I'd prefer comfort and stability!

Is there any advice about riding with a pillion I should consider as well - for example, how much experience should I have before considering it?

Also - is the ERS worth doing for the insurance benefits, or does it not make all that much difference?

Things to think about Bikers change bikes like women change there handbags.  In 6 Years I have had 5 bikes and I keep looking for the budget to change on of my present ones and I am far from the worst.

As others have said sit on as many bikes as you can as for power of bike unless your going for Sports bike I think over 600cc makes little difference.
MY first bike was a FZ6 useless for touring but fast enough to get me into trouble easily.  My TDM900 is 900cc but much more gentle than the FZ6, the same weight.
The Trophy 1200. same performance as FZ6 but better with Pillion.

As for riding with Pillion that's a variable, how good is the Pillion?  My Partner is 90kg and a good pillion, once she is on I hardly notice her.
A friend who goes Pillion and my daughter are not so good both probably nearer 2/3 the weight, my daughter sits seque to look over my shoulder my friend also a rider leans into the bends before I would.

If your on a budget check costs of insurance, before buying anybike...

• Like 1

You can tour on any bike, I went to verbier a few years ago on a fireblade, although I admit, it wasn’t the most comfortable of journeys!  I’ve been test riding quite a few bikes recently looking for something I can tour on comfortably but something I can also use daily for the commute.  I took a couple of bikes out more than once and kept one for a whole day, and, IMHO that’s what you need to do before making a decision.  The bike that seemed to tick the boxes for me was the Tracer 900GT,  it had some faults, nothing’s perfect, but you do get a lot for your money, it was also very comfortable 

I had a Trophy 900 a few years back and it was a very capable tourer.....but......they are top heavy, which isn't a problem once you're on the move, but can catch you out when manoeuvring at low speed. If I were you I'd look for something a bit lighter until you've gained some experience.  Have a look at Honda VFRs as well as those mentioned above.

• Like 1

I got my first 'big bike ' in September,  Honda Deauville. It's a heavy beast, but you don't notice it when moving along. Very comfy, still fast enough acceleration for me after riding a 125cc for 2 years. You'll love whatever bike you get to start with, the difference is fantastic :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I'm with Tango - there are easier bikes to take on as a first bike than a Trophy. I think the Tracer is a good idea, and the VFR (not the Crosstourer - it's known to be top heavy) and perhaps the Africa Twin and the Versys 1000 should be on the list too.

But I'd really recommend waiting until you're ready to take your test, as then you'll have a better of what riding a bike that size feels like. And also at least go and sit on the bike before you make your choice. If possible get a test ride (some places offer test rides to people with new licences, but not all). Because which bike is right for you is a very personal choice - it not just about power and looks, but also weight and seat height, and width of the bars, and forward lean and suspension stiffness and so on.  

I stand corrected:

Unrestricted motorcycles in size/power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with power output over 15 kW

1 - Direct access route - CBT theory and practical (you must be at least 24)

2 - Progressive access route - held an A2 licence for a minimum of 2 years - practical test (21 or over)

note: 24 (direct) or 21 (progressive access)

the driving license should show a category A to be able to ride unrestricted bikes :) 

I'm very happy with my St1300 regardless of what some eegits say about it :P 

comfy, spacious, 250 miles on a tank fully loaded + pilion, loads of storage, only problem I had with it on my last tour was the wife :lol:  

2 minutes ago, husoi said:

I'm very happy with my St1300 regardless of what some eegits say about it :P 

comfy, spacious, 250 miles on a tank fully loaded + pilion, loads of storage, only problem I had with it on my last tour was the wife :lol:  

Is that why you built the trailer ?:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Ian

Just now, Ian Frog said:

Is that why you built the trailer ?:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Ian

Yeah, to lock the wife in it :) 

no more "why so fast?" "I need to stop..." "Stop looking at that girl." :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very happy with the seat and would recommend on the limited use we have had so far.

Haven`t used it as much as we wanted yet as the Harley and the weather slowed down the Busa use.

Looking forward to some longer trips in the spring.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mickly said:

Hopefully @fastbob will be along soon to explain why the ER5 is all the bike you need for touring or even a GSXR1100, not sure about the pillion bit though 😁

The ER5 is ideal for the twisty single track roads of the far north west of Scotland where a bigger bike would be an encumbrance . Apart from that I've never really bought a bike with touring in mind . I've always bought bikes that I either liked or could afford and just strapped some camping gear onboard and headed off . I'm sure that dedicated touring bikes are wonderful things to ride but you still have to look at them when you come back from the trip . 

• Like 4

Thanks for all the advice guys, especially some of the bike recommendations! Especially the Honda Deuville and TDM900.

I was definitely going to try a few out first, I think it's more getting on top of a tourer straight from getting a license that concerned me!

@husoi Alas, I am now old so don't need to worry about A2s and all that. This was one of the reasons I didn't get a bike license before - I was 22 when I did my CBT originally, and so figured I might as well just wait 18months to do the DAS, and then never got around to it.

@fastbob I know these things are in the eyes of the beholder and all that, but I find some of the tourers quite aestheticaly pleasing (admittedly, some are just outride hideous).