World continues to go mad.

Bender

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/14/man-fined-fly-tipping-sweeping-leaves-taking-wood/amp/

You only get the gist of the story without signing up but gives you the idea of it.

Lad I know got reported for putting mcd's bag in a street bin, he has a van and is a clean freak, he has a sign on the van and someone reported him, he ended up getting done for disposing of commercial waste in council bin, he admitted he had put it in the bin, first mistake,  and not having a waste carriers licence. 2nd mistake he didn't register for the free waste carriers licence.

Which reminds me I need to update the reg on mine

I once deposited a load of green waste at my local recycling dump in Norfolk. My trailer had a few leaves and a bit of soil left in it. Rather than sweep it clean I left the tailgate off and drove away, thinking the wind would clear out a few leaves and grass cuttings. The guys at the recycling place told me that by  that I’d be fly tipping. Given that this was in a rural location (Ketteringham) it felt a little extreme. 

I’m torn on this one. It seems petty but I think it’s not the full picture. It says he collected 3 bags of leaves and is pictured with a huge green bag so just how much did he dump? The country lane he dumped them down is covered by CCTV this is usually because fly tipping is rife and the owners sick of it. It also says he was caught on camera emptying the bags on the side of a lane so just how far into ‘a wooded area’ did he take them? Not far enough if they had to then remove them. 

He did half a job. He tidied up some leaves and dumped them on someone’s else’s property. He should have followed the rules and gone to the skip, he just couldn’t be bothered. 

I live down a lane I get fed up with people dumping their waste (including garden waste) down here, the tips only 10 minutes from where I live. Lazy buggers. 

• Like 3

It is a tough one, if every one dumped there green waste here in the forest it would become a tip...

Along with the guy up the road who blows most of his his grass waste across the road into the ditch, that blocks and road floods the road at first sign of rain.

Then with local recycling centers ruthlessly efficient at charging our refusing rubbish.

Every day on Facebook there is the latest report of forest carparks full of rubble. They don't even have the decency to use it to fill the holes in the carparks 🤔

The lane opposite has become blighted with people dumping fridges, broken furniture, garden waste and DIY waste. 

I don't get it, they have to load it into the car to bring it here, why not drive another two miles to the council waste site?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I don't get it, they have to load it into the car to bring it here, why not drive another two miles to the council waste site?

Sound like your recycling operatives are as vicious as ours.

• You need to book a slot, if your not a regular you don't know what times the slots become available to book. They generally get taken up in under an hour.
  • Then you need to que, up to an hour for your pre-booked 15 minutes slot🧐
  • Then you have to face the actual operatives, again unless you are a regular you will get growled at and told that your wrong in a polite but publically, fiercely, rude manner. Wrong for asking which bin or wrong for guessing wrong.
  • Do not take 1 peice of rubble (1' square of plaster board) it will cost you about £10. That is the minimum charge, you can take a sack of it for that.
  • Then of course you must not bin an item they see as desirable for their add hoc shop.  That's there money,
  • However don't think it all goes to the public. There is a second container for chosen dealers to cherry pick the best stuff from.
  • Car empty you would think it's all over, just wait a couple of days waiting for a puncture from a screw or nail.

I think fly typing is disgusting however the behaviour at the local recycling center doesn't exactly help.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 3

A while since I've been to ours but pre-Covid you just rocked up, dumped whatever you had in the appropriate place and went on your way. If you were in a van you needed to show it was not commercial and proof of address. Nothing more.

10 minutes ago, onesea said:

• You need to book a slot, if your not a regular you don't know what times the slots become available to book. They generally get taken up in under an hour.
  • Then you have to face the actual operatives, again unless you are a regular you will get growled at and told that your wrong in a polite but publically, fiercely, rude manner. Wrong for asking which bin or wrong for guessing wrong.
  • Do not take 1 peice of rubble (1' square of plaster board) it will cost you about £10. That is the minimum charge, you can take a sack of it for that.
  • Then of course you must not bin an item they see as desirable for their add hoc shop.  That's there money,
  • However don't think it all goes to the public. There is a second container for chosen dealers to cherry pick the best stuff from.
  • Car empty you would think it's all over, just wait a couple of days waiting for a puncture from a screw or nail.

I think fly typing is disgusting however the behaviour at the local recycling center doesn't exactly help.

I can see that, our lot aren't quite as bad, it's still rock up out of the blue and once you're past the guy on the gate the rest are pretty helpful. But the guy on the gate is a piece of work. Personally I enjoy winding him up but I guess other people feel intimidated and prefer to dump their rubbish in a quiet lane. 

11 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’m torn on this one. It seems petty but I think it’s not the full picture. It says he collected 3 bags of leaves and is pictured with a huge green bag so just how much did he dump? The country lane he dumped them down is covered by CCTV this is usually because fly tipping is rife and the owners sick of it. It also says he was caught on camera emptying the bags on the side of a lane so just how far into ‘a wooded area’ did he take them? Not far enough if they had to then remove them. 

He did half a job. He tidied up some leaves and dumped them on someone’s else’s property. He should have followed the rules and gone to the skip, he just couldn’t be bothered. 

I live down a lane I get fed up with people dumping their waste (including garden waste) down here, the tips only 10 minutes from where I live. Lazy buggers. 

My thoughts exactly, he didn't have a green bin so he took a chance on dumping them elsewhere, he should have just left them where they was or just sweep into a pile for the council to remove.

1 hour ago, onesea said:

That sounds a lot like the one I used in Norfolk. 

Our local place in Cumbria is much more relaxed, though the procedures  due to the pandemic have slowed things down somewhat.

I'm patiently waiting for a person to return who twice so far on a Tuesday has left fast food rubbish on the street outside my work. I have permission from the owner to throw it back in the car.

Both times I haven't noticed until it's too late. First time was a regular taxi and second time was an Uber. It pulls up just below my shop and the passenger in the back opens the door and drops a load of McDonald's or KFC waste on ground.

IMG-20210202-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210202-WA0003.jpeg

Our local tip is mostly fine, the odd jobsworth, fly tipping is rife in Northumberland, they seem happier to clear it up than prevent it though, few spots get same stuff dumped once a month min, usually mix of tyres and household stuff that have to be paid for to be got rid of. 

We've got this little chap whom I'm guessing has OCD who keeps the road I live in AND everyone's front garden completely free from litter . I don't even think he lives in the area . In fact I think he does it along  his route  home from work . He even straightens the Wheely Bins . So I guess the World has gone mad but sometimes that's not a bad thing . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I can see that, our lot aren't quite as bad, it's still rock up out of the blue and once you're past the guy on the gate the rest are pretty helpful. But the guy on the gate is a piece of work. Personally I enjoy winding him up but I guess other people feel intimidated and prefer to dump their rubbish in a quiet lane. 

I thought it was still rock up and queue near me however, I heard an authoritarian chap shout 'you cant come in here with that'. It was quite dark as I drove in, but slowly coming towards me was this figure dressed head to toe in Hi-Viz accompanied with hard hat and ear defenders and clutching his handheld data collector. Me: 'Why not, I've never been stopped before'.  'Ah its the council you know, new rules, you need a permit for a campervan/van/taxi and we must follow the rules'. Me: 'but its neither of those'. Lets just say for the next 10 mins we had a disagreement. By this time a large queue was building up behind me. I was asked to pull up on the left while he called for his supervisor. 'Yep you cant come in here with that without a permit' shouted the supervisor. Me: 'Why not! and its not a campervan/van or taxi'. 'You just cant' said the supervisor 'you need a permit'. We disagreed about the type of vehicle I was driving for 15/20mins. At one point he said to me 'do you think I want to be here at this time of night dealing with you' 🤔. Anyhow with that in mind I applied for the permit while sat arguing with the jobsworth. At this point it was getting close to closing time, but at least I had the electronic permit for him to scan. At our waste recycling centre there are signs up saying due to C19 restrictions, operatives are unable to help with the unloading of items for recycling. It was fast approaching closing time, in fact, its was 19:40 and the site closed at 19:45.  As I slowly (very slowly) started to unload the cardboard from my vehicle I heard a voice shout out 'can we give you a lift mate'  to which I pointed at the sign and said 'sorry I must follow your rules'. I managed to unload everything for 20:00. 😂

• Haha 5

I took a load of stuff to the tip in my defender only to be told by the lad on the gate I needed a permit as it was a van, a very heated argument arise with me telling them it wasn’t a van, it’s on car insurance, personal use, no business use etc. But they weren’t having it at all. 
About 10 minutes in an identical defender drove out of the tip so I asked if he needed a permit, there response was no, he has windows in the back. 

It was one of these tiny blind spot windows on 1 side of the car. 

I was less than impressed! 

no wonder fly tipping is such an issue.

0B59E618-4256-4455-99B4-B264F4F7A57E.jpeg

All landrovers from the 2.2 on leave the factory as a commercial vehicle, for tax purposes no seats no windows it's a commercial, for road tax, no seats or Windows in the rear it's commercial.

Put windows in the back I'd you want to go to the tip 😁 

1 hour ago, Keeper96 said:

I took a load of stuff to the tip in my defender only to be told by the lad on the gate I needed a permit as it was a van, a very heated argument arise with me telling them it wasn’t a van, it’s on car insurance, personal use, no business use etc. But they weren’t having it at all. 
About 10 minutes in an identical defender drove out of the tip so I asked if he needed a permit, there response was no, he has windows in the back. 

It was one of these tiny blind spot windows on 1 side of the car. 

I was less than impressed! 

no wonder fly tipping is such an issue.

0B59E618-4256-4455-99B4-B264F4F7A57E.jpeg

nice landie anyway 👍

Tried to take old washing machine to skip today. Rules have changed. Not allowed in cos I was in a van, as others have said they want loooonnng form filled in including insurance, logbook, company details n more. I say how am I suppose to dispose of this without those things or what if my car is too small? They say there’s a company I can ring to do it- for a fee. I look up company, they’re based up north and only come down as far as Birmingham! Tempted to leave it outside the councils door. The stupidity of not expecting someone sling it out of their van on the way home. 
I didn’t I reloaded in a car and went back but pah! No wonder people fly tip. 

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Tried to take old washing machine to skip today. Rules have changed. Not allowed in cos I was in a van, as others have said they want loooonnng form filled in including insurance, logbook, company details n more. I say how am I suppose to dispose of this without those things or what if my car is too small? They say there’s a company I can ring to do it- for a fee. I look up company, they’re based up north and only come down as far as Birmingham! Tempted to leave it outside the councils door. The stupidity of not expecting someone sling it out of their van on the way home. 
I didn’t I reloaded in a car and went back but pah! No wonder people fly tip. 

Do you have a waste carriers licence for your van? 

The problem is vans turn up full claiming it's from their own house when it's clearly not, we get 10 trips per house per year for a commercial vehicle, I think it's more than fair and really very straightforward 😁 

9 minutes ago, Bender said:

Do you have a waste carriers licence for your van? 

The problem is vans turn up full claiming it's from their own house when it's clearly not, we get 10 trips per house per year for a commercial vehicle, I think it's more than fair and really very straightforward 😁 

No we don’t, never carry waste. The form definitely isn’t straight forward, if it was I would have just filled it in rather than come back and get another vehicle. I appreciate the problems but they have number plate recognition there so there must be a simpler way. 
If I was on my tod and couldn’t get it to the tip their solution is to recommend a company that doesn’t even come into this area. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No we don’t, never carry waste. The form definitely isn’t straight forward, if it was I would have just filled it in rather than come back and get another vehicle. I appreciate the problems but they have number plate recognition there so there must be a simpler way. 
If I was on my tod and couldn’t get it to the tip their solution is to recommend a company that doesn’t even come into this area. 

You took a washing machine, it's a works van it's waste, empty packet of crisps or a can is waste, I kid you not, it's free apply for it my mate got done for just that.

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

You took a washing machine, it's a works van it's waste, empty packet of crisps or a can is waste, I kid you not, it's free apply for it my mate got done for just that.

I don’t dispute any of that. I understand why they have to do it. I don’t consider it necessary to make it so complicated to apply. 

I got banned from our local recycling centre because I made 13 trips in one day with garden waste. They reckoned I was a trade gardener. The reality is that we have a large garden which produces a lot of green waste. Fortunately I knew the mayor at the time so I got him to write a letter to the Commandant of the tip.

• Haha 2

Our local tip recycling centre is pre book only, no trailers, only one person in the vehicle no help with unloading. So if you need two people to manhandle something over the 3 foot high wall into the skips, tough.