Do you stop if you see a biker at the side of the road?

Throttled

Out today and saw a biker stopped at the side of the road. In the past I would have stopped to make sure they are OK, but this guy was on his mobile, so if he needed help, he was likely arranging it. That made me think, I have not stopped to see if a biker is OK for years now and it is because of mobile phones.

Do you stop?

I’ve often get a thumbs up when I stop, probably because I ride until I want a break and when that happens I’ll stop at the very next possible point like a lay-by or gateway so possibly look broken down. I’ve not yet needed any assistance but I always appreciate the asking.

When I got stuck at the traffic lights a few weeks back a biker realised I was stuck after they passed. They went down to the roundabout (quite some distance away) and came back to see if I was ok. I’d sorted it by then but I have to say I’ve found every one of these thumbs up heartening. It’s a kind thing to do.

I’ve done it and although my use is limited, if it’s near where I live I know a good mechanic, have a van n ramps and at the very least am able to go n get coffee and a sarnie!

• Like 1

I did ride passed a broken down biker on large roundabout once though. It was my first time out on my own a 125 and to say I was barely in control is no understatement, I was frightening. 

I wanted to stop but with the lack of precise control and wobbling on a new bike trying to stop in the tiny space in front of them on a fast roundabout before an exit seemed foolhardy. I did a second loop of the roundabout thinking if I was prepared for it I’d be ok but in reality I discovered it’s true the bike really does go where you look so I abandoned the manoeuvre before I added serious injuries to their woes! 😂

• Haha 4

Back in Portugal I once stopped for a biker on the emergency layby of the motorway. 5min later there were 10 of us and the guy was just trying to put the rain jacket on 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I’ve never experienced it with the bike but Land Rover owners tend to stop and help out, mainly defenders but I’ve seen the odd discovery stop as well. 

once it was a godsend, a UJ collapsed in my prop shaft and to keep driving I had to remove the shaft but needed 2 14mm spanner’s, I had 1 spanner and a socket but the socket just would not fit in the gap, luckily another defender pulled over and had a toolkit so all was well! 

I normally do the thumbs up thing and carry on if they respond positively.

Last June I was heading North on the A6 near Bedford and a guy on a little Vtwin was paddling downhill and as there was no nearby refuge point I went back and used the hazards on the Busa purely because it is a busy road and I believed 2 of us one with hazards would be more visible lol, while I asked if I could help, Lo and behold he tried it again and it spluttered into life.

I hope and believe he was ok so we parted ways.

Cheers 

Ian

• Like 1

pull over to help stranded biker .... his mate jumps out from behind a bush brandishing a 12" blade and has your bike away..... 

Every ones got a phone , they wont be stranded for long .. fook em carry on with your ride :thumb:

4 minutes ago, Six30 said:

pull over to help stranded biker .... his mate jumps out from behind a bush brandishing a 12" blade and has your bike away..... 

Every ones got a phone , they wont be stranded for long .. fook em carry on with your ride :thumb:

Unfortunately especially down south that's a real risk

• Haha 1

I usually give a thumbs up, only stopped a couple of time when I didn't get a response ....... or got thumbs down. One I ended up pillioning him home as he needed to get to his kids parents evening, the other a quick chat and I was on my way ......... Alot goes on the look of the person for me, both were on vintage / classic machines ....... I don't know anything that could help mend the machines but the chances are there's no-one stood behind a bush with a knife :) I've been stranded on the side of the road before waiting for a knight in a white van to arrive and would have welcomed someone to stop and keep me company lol 

• Like 2

If thumbs up, carry on. Stopped a couple of times. One stopped in a garage and was still there on the way back so stopped. He had a flat tyre, his mate was on the way with a van, had a chat and then left.
Other guy pushing his bike. Stopped. He was out of fuel so gave him a pillion to a close fuel station. All was good.

Edited by JRH
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bender said:

I will stop to help most anyone, it's lead to some interesting meetings and requests over the years.

I broke down very early one morning in Leigh Delamere services on the M4 .... Bearded chap wandered over and asked what the problem was ... told him and said AA was coming to get the bike and take it back to Ipswich but i was going to Truro .... So Rick Wakefield dropped me off at St Davids station in Exeter and i got the train the rest of the way ....nice chap.

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1

On the opposite side of the spectrum.

2019 I went to a wee trip down south. Dinner in Prestwick.

Flat tyre on the M77 20 miles south of Glasgow.

Insurance 24/7 helpline was as helpful as fleas on a dog.

Had to sign up to RAC because the idiots from Hodgson & McKenzie helpline couldn't give me the number for the breakdown.

Stayed on the side of the motorway from 8PM to 3AM with only 1 car stopping but not helpful at all.

No police, motorway assistance, absolutely nobody.

Arrived home at 5:30 am

then got a compensation from H&M for £250 (to cover the RAC subscription and trouble) and I don't want to hear of those tossers ever again.

• Like 1

Yes. Gave an old boy a lift home once when his old BSA gave up on him. It was raining heavily one evening on the way back from a local bike meet. We hid the bike behind some bushes, he came back with me to pick up my trailer, returned to collect the bike and then dropped them both off at home. 🙂 

Stopped once for a guy, parked in middle of Yorkshire moors. He had run out of fuel but his Wife was on the way to him with a can. Stayed and chatted to him for a while, he said I better leave before she turns up as she was fuming 🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I broke down very early one morning in Leigh Delamere services on the M4 .... Bearded chap wandered over and asked what the problem was ... told him and said AA was coming to get the bike and take it back to Ipswich but i was going to Truro .... So Rick Wakefield dropped me off at St Davids station in Exeter and i got the train the rest of the way ....nice chap.

Rick Wakefield? The bearded bloke who was in that band "No"?