Upgrading bike

K1W1

Hey guys

So I've had a 2018 Yamaha MT03 for a while now and I'm feeling an upgrade, I'm not too sure what I should get. I want a bit of a power boost but I don't think I'm ready to go to like the R1 for example. Just wondering opinions you guys had.

Cheers

Wait until dealers reopen then go test as many as you can. You won't know until you've ridden them. What looks great on paper can be just not right for you. But generally go above what you're thinking of because you can ride a bigger engine gently safer than riding a smaller machine to its limits.

• Like 1

I have the same problem, not knowing what the next bike should be. Instead of models, I started to think what do I want to do on it, and also some must haves -that started to eliminate quite a lot.

Decent lights (preferably cornering), ABS, low seat, prefer 4cyl, comfy for pillion, reasonably upright for rider, needs a bit more umph than my XJ6, at least half-faired, effing quiet (so no akrapovic style crap).

Been thinking 2-3 months, no decision whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Jerry1111 said:

I have the same problem, not knowing what the next bike should be. Instead of models, I started to think what do I want to do on it, and also some must haves -that started to eliminate quite a lot.

Decent lights (preferably cornering), ABS, low seat, prefer 4cyl, comfy for pillion, reasonably upright for rider, needs a bit more umph than my XJ6, at least half-faired, effing quiet (so no akrapovic style crap).

Been thinking 2-3 months, no decision whatsoever.

You’ve just described the Versys 1000. 

I’m not biased....

Edited by fullscreenaging

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Wait until dealers reopen then go test as many as you can. You won't know until you've ridden them. What looks great on paper can be just not right for you. But generally go above what you're thinking of because you can ride a bigger engine gently safer than riding a smaller machine to its limits.

yes one thing i do know for a fact is i will never again own a bike with a fairing, still what doesn't suit me may well suit others

56 minutes ago, skyrider said:

yes one thing i do know for a fact is i will never again own a bike with a fairing, still what doesn't suit me may well suit others

Can I ask why? Is it manoeuvring it around, or something else?

I'm on my first 'big' bike, and it's fully faired (Deauville).  Apart from the school bike, and my little cb125f,  I've never ridden another bike. The Deauville is ok when moving, but a beast to get in the shed.

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

Why is that? For me fairings give mostly dry trousers (on the outside, you lot!!!) if caught up in the rain.

Also makes it 0.01°C warmer sitting the winter if there's something to hide behind.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

You’ve just described the Versys 1000. 

I’m not biased....

No, you're not. Of course you're not 😀

I'll add it to the list, thanks! Eventually this bloody lockdown will end...

• Like 1

yes its moving them around and working on them servicing etc (all you guys with fairings on your bikes how long does it take to get to the plugs ? )

Edited by skyrider

I would also recommend the MT07. But if you want a bit more of a fun which scares/ excites you at the same time (in A mode), skip the 7 and move to the 9. 

I eventually fancy an R1 too but trying to work up to it in sensible, logical jumps! 

Get a Himalayan .... You can terrify yourself with 25 bhp .. trust me .... 

Knee down on roundabouts .... no problem  ... just slower ....😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

yes its moving them around and working on them servicing etc (all you guys with fairings on your bikes how long does it take to get to the plugs ? )

7mins but I cheat, that's the time it takes me to drop it off at mates garage 😁 

I have had them off though and it wasn't that bad, not bad enough to outweigh the weather and wind protection.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skyrider said:

(all you guys with fairings on your bikes how long does it take to get to the plugs ?

About 10 mins and all plugs will be out! 

Thats taking it steady 

Just two small panels to remove after the seat then lift the tank and the plugs are there 

All my experience with both 4 plug and 8 plug heads has seen the pleasure graph and the cost graph meet in the wrong places. 🙂

Trust me ... I’m not a doctor .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with deciding what you want in a bike them finding best fit. Rather than buying a model cause you like it. Unless you want a bike to be admired as much as ridden.

Regarding fairings I have had worked on 3 bikes.

FZ6 - Naked.

Everything hidden behind frame battery under tank.  Changing spark plugs was a job for small hands and surgery. 1/2 removing radiator. Headlight bulbs change involved removing headlight.

Fooking wet and cold to ride if it was not warm.

TDM900 - Semi faired

Similar to FZ6 for plug change but battery under seat and electrics behind panels much easier.

Headlight change not so difficult but easier with smaller hands.

So much nicer to ride in the cold.

Trophy 1200 -Fully faired.

Spark plug change remove rear, fairing, remove tank, disconnecting fuel hoses, 2 panels and everything is ready access. Easy and not actually that time consuming if you do it once a year.

Headlight bulb change involves some manipulation but possible. Easier to remove nose cone. If you have done that before.

Riding in cold weather fairing is nice however the TDM900 is on a par.

I do believe modern part faired bikes are better than traditional fully faired bikes. The knowledge of aerodynamics and rider comfort had moved on in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elizabethf said:

I would also recommend the MT07. But if you want a bit more of a fun which scares/ excites you at the same time (in A mode), skip the 7 and move to the 9. 

I eventually fancy an R1 too but trying to work up to it in sensible, logical jumps! 

I recommend the MT07 too however, if you want bonkers fun, skip them all - a KTM1290 will have you shitting bricks (there's a comedy sketch in there somewhere) I kid you not. 😜

Yea I guess the MT09 would be the next step then, I have gone to a couple dealers and they seemed to suggest the same and base on my budget (approx $12K NZD) it seems like a good jump. Just wanted to get an opinion from the community before I started looking in detail at it, Thanks!

• Like 1