Breakdown Cover

Fish

13 minutes ago, Fish said:

After reading about a members issues and having to get recovered, got me thinking which is bloody painful.

Who are you covered by for what level cover?

I always had RAC cover through Aviva (staff discount so dirt cheap, hence the full works). I made the mistake of changing insurer, but got two years free with Motorrad for a similar level of cover anyway. I’m now with Green Flag, home breakdown, overseas cover etc. Having experienced punctures in remote spots, in the Alps, Pyrenees and Scotland (twice) I’ve found the peace of mind worth every penny.

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

As mentioned elsewhere I use RAC because it comes with my insurance. They are bloody awful based on my experience today. Utterly hopeless and in my case failed as I ran out of patience. 

They were fine until Aviva bought them. They don’t seem to have recovered from that period. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve_M said:

They were fine until Aviva bought them. They don’t seem to have recovered from that period. 

We were paid up RAC members for about 17 years and they were fine. As you say since then they've gone totally downhill.

I'll say this very quietly....I took @Six30 advice.....

and went with GEM. Not had to use them yet but their level of cover for the price is very good. 

I've been with AA, RAC and Green Flag at various stages. No problems with them, I've very rarely had to use them, twice is over 40 years, but the cost of membership just got silly with the AA. Yes, they will drop it if you quibble but why should you have too? I object to customer loyalty being taken for a ride.

Green Flag used to cover the vehicle rather than the driver / rider so with two bikes and two cars it doesn't work.

• Like 3

I was with RAC,  I got a years free cover with my bike.  Unfortunately I did have to use them once,  I got a puncture, no repair kit with me and was stuck in Northumberland.  I wasn't overly impressed with the service,  I waited three and a half hours for them to attend and the technician was, shall we say, less than helpful.  When the cover expired I ended up going with Green Flag.  Never had to use them for the bike but my wife used them for the car,  flat battery,  and they were brilliant.  Arrived in thirty minutes and got her on the road again.  Competitively priced and with personal cover I'm covered for any vehicle.  So far happy with the service and the price so will stick with them.

• Like 1

I've always got breakdown cover from the insurer.

My experience is that they usually have better deals than signing just for it separately. 

56 minutes ago, husoi said:

I've always got breakdown cover from the insurer.

My experience is that they usually have better deals than signing just for it separately. 

It was through the insurer as I wouldn't have touched the RAC with a bargepole other wise. My experience with them just reaffirms why we stopped using them about 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'll say this very quietly....I took @Six30 advice.....

and went with GEM. Not had to use them yet but their level of cover for the price is very good. 

I've been with AA, RAC and Green Flag at various stages. No problems with them, I've very rarely had to use them, twice is over 40 years, but the cost of membership just got silly with the AA. Yes, they will drop it if you quibble but why should you have too? I object to customer loyalty being taken for a ride.

Green Flag used to cover the vehicle rather than the driver / rider so with two bikes and two cars it doesn't work.

im not just a pretty face 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2