Speeding ticket

billy sugger

10 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

I have got a speeding ticket. 40 in a 30,but to be honest I never realised. I saw the van, but hadn't noticed the limit had changed, now have option of a fixed penalty or a speed awareness course 

Bugger, I would go for course, might even be online 😁 

• Like 1

We were waiting for one as my wife went past the van that's often at the top of our road not watching her speed - but fortunately after 16 days nothing has arrived.

Bad start to the new year, but at least you can take the course.

I had one a few years ago, issued on Boxing Day (no less) for speeding (30/40). full day in a local hotel meeting room. it was alright if a little tedious.. but there were a few eye openers especially about observation. we were shown a picture for 15 seconds and asked how many people we could see. it was actually impossible to count, however the funny thing that absolutely nobody noticed was that they were all wearing T-Shirts with "There are 127 people in this photograph" printed on them. It was shocking when that was pointed out, because it was so visible and yet, invisible.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Might have got done today while in the car by a van on the A66. Just over the brow of a hill which makes me think its more of a money making exercise than a safety thing.

Of course it is. Our hill looks like a NSL area as it's a rural lane. But there are street lights alongg one section but not the rest or even the majority of the road. 

Legally the distancing of the lights makes it a 30 zone but you'd never know unless you live here.

Hence most people do more than 30 and there's a speed van here two or three times a week.

I campaigned to have repeater signs installed and after several years they put one up. Just one, and it's after where the van sits.

Go figure what the priority is. Safety or revenue?

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I came across one last year in the cotswolds came round a blind bend saw a 30 sign then the van luckily I was okay but not right. I used to to prolaser enforcement in residential areas usually close to schools and shops with a marked vehicle and in flourry jacket and we had loads of signage anyone who got caught wasn't paying attention. I don't think it's fair how they do it now 

• Like 3

Regardless of where you live it is part of the highway code which reading and understanding  is part of your test procedure (and if you ignore that information then who's fault is it ?)  that if there is single carriageway/dual carriageway and  street lighting and no further signage then it is a 30mph limit .

Legal definition of street lighting not requiring additional signage  is

a 30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 183 metres (200ft) apart.

So if you see any street lighting treat  it as 30mph .... unless you see a sign otherwise 

Edited by TimR

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Regardless of where you live it is part of the highway code which reading and understanding  is part of your test procedure (and if you ignore that information then who's fault is it ?)  that if there is single carriageway/dual carriageway and  street lighting and no further signage then it is a 30mph limit .

Legal definition of street lighting not requiring additional signage  is

a 30 mph speed limit applies where there are three or more lamps throwing light on the carriageway and placed not more than 183 metres (200ft) apart.

So if you see any street lighting treat  it as 30mph .... unless you see a sign otherwise 

This has made me ponder and wonder what the legal situation would be if the local council have deactivated the streetlights. Which they are doing sometimes to save money. When is a streetlight not a streetlight?  … would the 30mph limit still apply if the streetlights aren’t being used? yeah I know. I should have more useful things to think about!

47 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

This has made me ponder and wonder what the legal situation would be if the local council have deactivated the streetlights. Which they are doing sometimes to save money. When is a streetlight not a streetlight?  … would the 30mph limit still apply if the streetlights aren’t being used? yeah I know. I should have more useful things to think about!

How would you know they're not in use during daylight hours?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

This has made me ponder and wonder what the legal situation would be if the local council have deactivated the streetlights. Which they are doing sometimes to save money. When is a streetlight not a streetlight?  … would the 30mph limit still apply if the streetlights aren’t being used? yeah I know. I should have more useful things to think 

Speed limit is the speed limit whether the street lights are on or not.

28 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Speed limit is the speed limit whether the street lights are on or not.

I’m not sure. If they aren’t active then I think there might be an arguable case for a smart lawyer. Especially if you were booked for speeding in the hours of darkness 

On the Speed Awareness course I went on they addressed this.

From what I remember 3 years ago:

The distance between the street lights or wether they are in use is no longer one of the considerations, basically you have at some point passed a big sign saying 30, there are no repeaters & there are street lights.

Any protestations about what if ….

Such as “I was staying somewhere for a week and forgot” were answered with the sensible advice of “stick at 30 until you can be sure it is otherwise”

Seems the loophole lawyers have caused some of the loopholes to be closed.

• Like 2

I've just discovered the place I got the ticket is nowhere near the place that I saw the van, and now has me confused. When I saw the van  I had been out for a bimble, and came back home on a unfamiliar route along a one way system through Moulton, and had just come off a roundabout but I was among other light traffic, not gaining  on anyone in front, so just going with the flow. The ticket was for speeding on the A4500 near Weston Favel shopping centre, from a manned camera. I don't remember seeing a van anywhere near that area, and it would stick out like a oversize wart on the end of your nose. There is a fixed camera on that road, but it is further along in a built up area, where the posh houses start and everyone slows down for that