Am I too old to begin my motorcycle journey?

JayMutt

Hi everyone. I'm 38. Currently have covid so I've been self isolating. It has been a nightmare. I love motorcycles and am currently trying to convince myself to go ahead and book my CBT. Am I too old to get started? I am quite the nervous type so the thought of going on the course does scare me a little, even more so getting on the road and riding. I've been watching plenty of YouTube videos on learners getting into riding for the first time and choosing their first bikes. I'm all for learning as much as possible about the controls of a motorcycle and how to ride them the correct way. Can anyone recommend a good place to do my CBT? Or preferably, a course designed to teach you the basics and a 1-on-1 lesson(s) before doing a CBT? I am based in Hounslow, West London (down the road from Twickenham Rugby stadium). 

I was 34 when I started. I did my CBT and DAS with phoenix in crystal palace, although I think they have a few locations. 

Prior to the day I did my CBT I had never been on a bike and it was well over a decade since being on a bicycle. 

CBT is training, not necessarily a test. They will start the day classroom style talking about how bikes and the controls work. Then you'll sit on the bike and just rock it back and forth on the clutch, then drive in 1st gear in straight lines and circles and then move on to other parts from there. My point being, tell the instructor that you've no idea and they should take you through everything from scratch. Nothing to be afraid of. At the very least you'll have a fun day out for a little over £100. 

I did the same with the YouTube videos. Mcrider, motojitsu, rhj motorcycle training are some good channels but there's tons of good channels to learn from. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys! A couple of other things that worry me are my eyesight (I wear glasses so reading a number plate from 20 metres away sounds a little worrying). But my prescription is up to date so I should be ok. I'll practice this from tomorrow. Another thing is my glasses steaming up whilst I'm wearing a helmet. Am I allowed to ride with the visor up? I would say that's a likely no because of safety.

7 minutes ago, JayMutt said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys! A couple of other things that worry me are my eyesight (I wear glasses so reading a number plate from 20 metres away sounds a little worrying). But my prescription is up to date so I should be ok. I'll practice this from tomorrow. Another thing is my glasses steaming up whilst I'm wearing a helmet. Am I allowed to ride with the visor up? I would say that's a likely no because of safety.

Wear you glasses when you ride. Most helmet manufacturers put in grooves on the inside lining that allow space for glasses.

Most helmets can be worn with the visor open either completely or just open a crack to let air in. But check your manufacturers details for that. 

On the bike in stop start traffic keep the visor open a tad. It will help a lot with your glasses. Also get a 'pin lock' for the visor. Wherever you buy your helmet will sell them and install it. For your first helmet don't buy online, go to a store and get fitted properly. 

Infinity motorcycles or j&s accessories are great shops both in hanger lane.  

Finally, on glasses you can get wipes that help stop them fogging up. I use one ingot on eBay called re+spire. I think it's £9. Wipe your glasses once a day and it'll last a year. 

Edited by daveinlim

I wear glasses as well and never steam up on the move, just when sticking your gear on!! And as for reading a number plate, do you drive? if so then it will be the same!!

35 minutes ago, Fleck said:

Thought you were going to say you're in your 70s or something. Do it but wait for the warmer weather, you'll enjoy it 👍

Seeing as there are huge waiting times for CBT up and down the country I'd say go book it now rather than wait until a couple of weeks beforehand. 

15 hours ago, Silentbob83 said:

I was 37 when I I’d mine….west London based school I’d recommend a Passmasters in Northolt.

I was going to suggest jumping on FB and getting recommendations for schools but you have got one…

Next thing is book your self on a CBT you say your nervous so I recommend taking 2 days to get confidence or doing it twice (like I had to).

once you have decided your enjoying you either buy 125 and start doing big bike lessons or get a instesive course,

I would recommend buying 125 AND doing big bike  lessons over a few weeks.

You will be on a big bike buy the summer…

Only of course if you like it 😁😁 

My plan is to buy an older used Japanese Honda or Yamaha from a reputable dealer based in West London. I want to build up my confidence on a 125 before even thinking about moving up to a bigger one.

I love the look of the 2014 Yamaha YBR125 Custom bike and 2011 Honda CBF125 Naked bike. I've read it's best to go to the actual dealer and talk it over with them and sit on the bike to get a feel for it.

First things first though, I'll get my taster + CBT booked. Don't want to get ahead of myself. 

Edited by JayMutt
  • Like 1

You're certainly not too old. And you've clearly given it some thought.

I wear glasses and always use a flip front helmet. It makes it much simpler putting on and taking off. Rarely do my glasses steam up, and I ride all winter. If they do just crack the visor open a bit.

6 minutes ago, skyrider said:

nothing wrong with the cg 125

That would be my number 1 choice as it will likely be cheaper than a Honda CBF125 and Yamaha YBR125, but I don't think there are many options for the CG125? I've been on auto trader and the options look limited.