White Lines

Davidtav

So I was watching a video by Missender Flyer. Not recent. But I hadn’t seen it before. So he was with North Wales Police. I haven’t linked to the video but it’s easily found … anyway Mr Missenden seems to be following a police rider that repeatedly crosses the central lane. Not a solid white lane to be clear. But a normal central reservation … is that actually acceptable or legal?  I’m honestly not sure. I have a feeling that normal motorbike guys would get pulled over for that

Just now, Davidtav said:

So I was watching a video by Missender Flyer. Not recent. But I hadn’t seen it before. So he was with North Wales Police. I haven’t linked to the video but it’s easily found … anyway Mr Missenden seems to be following a police rider that repeatedly crosses the central lane. Not a solid white lane to be clear. But a normal central reservation … is that actually acceptable or legal?  I’m honestly not sure. I have a feeling that normal motorbike guys would get pulled over for that

Broken white line down the middle of a standard a or b road? Perfectly normal, can give you better view round the corner

6 minutes ago, goat said:

Broken white line down the middle of a standard a or b road? Perfectly normal, can give you better view round the corner

You’re probably right but it seems strange to me. Don’t hate me lol. 

7 minutes ago, goat said:

You’re probably right but it seems strange to me. Don’t hate me lol. 

I did my bikesafe course recently, and questioned the Police instructor why I could see him all over the other lane in my mirrors. His reply was "why not if it's safe to do so, and gives better view around a bend?"

I did the same after our initial debrief and was praised for doing so, and 'making progress ' along the lanes.

Straighter roads were different, keeping to middle etc, but a totally different way of riding for me.

• Like 1

I've quite happily filtered past traffic including a police car on a hatched area with a broken white line like this one.

countryroadwithtrees.thumb.jpg.1ca6f68cf8198da961d772dfe8bf67e9.jpg

No issues, as long as it's safe.

Crossing a solid line is a different story.

• Like 1

Use as much of the road as you can if its safe to do so and the situation demands it 

Normal day to day riding you would be hard pushed on A roads to need to do it but smaller back roads it would help to give you a better view 

30 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

It still doesn’t completely seem correct. But I believe you

Hoping a broken white line once you start becomes natural.  So natural you have to watch you don’t start doing it on solid whites.

Visibility see and be seen, better grip, dangers near verges.

Google earth can help here.  On this corner there is a pub I have had afew pull out on me.
972DF8D9-D678-443E-9EA6-76BA47F74AEC.thumb.jpeg.9049924ac85732fae370ff2d94ab24bf.jpeg

Here you can hardly see the entrance but see clearly up the road.

However cross the hatched area.

3C9C769C-703A-4FEF-8401-DD4F5D8F466D.thumb.jpeg.60a725022e7c6470c4a70c47d15a6347.jpeg

You can see the carpark exit clearly and as importantly when they are pulling out slowly after Sunday lunch or an evening meal. They have more chance to see you... Being on the wrong side of the road they tend to think more.

Importantly you have allot more time to react ample swear, swerve, slow or stop. When they don’t see you.

Link if you want to play with the location (I changed years to get other side of road).
https://maps.app.goo.gl/V3FWJmPvGKNRDJAr8?g_st=ic

Routinely i straddle broken whites in the car when clear, particularly in the dark.  It’s saved a fair amount of deer and animals.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with crossing the white llines to get the view.  On some left handers, I have been known to be almost at the other kerb and with a police class one motorcyclist  behind me, egging me on.

Treat white lines like kerbstones.  If they are broken, you can cross with caution.  If they are unbroken, stay away. 

• Like 1

Yes it's legal as said if broken lines. Take a look at roadcraft it's a book worth reading. Better vision and better chance of spotting hazards. Only safe as long as you have the vision on the other side of the carriageway. Also vehicles are more stable in a straighter line. 

IPSGA is another important thing to remember about riding/driving:-

Information

Position

Speed

Gears 

Acceleration

Do all this on approach to a hazard and your well setup to deal with it. Slow in and fast out of a hazard is way safer and quicker. It's like when you see those people up your arse on a straight road when you are doing  the speed limit and they ain't. When you get to bends and hazards you should still be able to negotiate at a decent rate safely and they will be way back as they messed it all up, braking at the wrong time and in the wrong gear etc. Then they race back up your arse on the straights! 

• Like 1

There has been much discussion about “offsiding” as it’s often called. There are strong opinions in various sectors of the “advanced*” community, both in favour and against.

My take on it is that I would always ask the question “does it make your ride safer?”. If not then there’s little point to doing it. 

*I use the term advisedly. 

• Like 1

Over here, in France, the cops regularly take groups out for a day with a fair bit of theory mixed in with practical.  These guys encourage you to use every bit of the road to make progress safer... as long as it's legal !  Woe betide you if even your elbow or a pannier hangs over a solid white line !

I can assure you it's quite a sight watching a couple of cops on BMW GS's riding elbow to elbow taking bends at high speed with showers of sparks coming off their footpegs. They tell me BMW footpegs are normal service items...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

These guys encourage you to use every bit of the road to make progress safer... as long as it's legal !  Woe betide you if even your elbow or a pannier hangs over a solid white line !

Yup, that's the way I was told to do it.

When I'm on a test, the panniers get left at home :smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve_M said:

There has been much discussion about “offsiding” as it’s often called. There are strong opinions in various sectors of the “advanced*” community, both in favour and against.

My take on it is that I would always ask the question “does it make your ride safer?”. If not then there’s little point to doing it. 

*I use the term advisedly. 

Yes the saying never sacrifice safety for an advantage comes in there. That's where getting out and riding to gain experience is great 

• Like 1

I do have the Motorcycle Roadcraft book. And I have read it. And I do understand about positioning the bike to best see around bends. And I do try to do that. But I didn’t think that included crossing the central line. I accept that I am mistaken there. I will read Roadcraft again

• Like 1

I did my IAM training with a Police instructor,  we discussed this sort of thing.  So long as it isn't a solid white line then there's no issue.  So long as it's safe and legal to do so you can use all of the road to give you better forward vision through bends.  Whilst it may look to some people that you're riding is "all over the road" and dodgy, it actually makes your ride safer, and quicker.

• Like 2

I think it depends on the situation   If you can already see it is clear and will not confuse other road users then that's fine.   If you have to move to the off side to gain a view  then that's probably not a good idea.  Also I have seen one case where a rider went to the off side to take a left hand bend and was undertaken by the car he had been holding up. :-)  this rider also kept trying to get their knee down.  So only do it if you are going to make use of it.  

I would add the rider was not known to me just some random bod I have caught up with, and soon passed .

17 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I've quite happily filtered past traffic including a police car on a hatched area with a broken white line like this one.

countryroadwithtrees.thumb.jpg.1ca6f68cf8198da961d772dfe8bf67e9.jpg

No issues, as long as it's safe.

Crossing a solid line is a different story.

I believe they Highway Code refers to these as a ‘should not’ rather than a ‘must not’ or something to that effect.

They make for messy and protracted insurance claims, too.

• Like 1