First big bike.

techniques

Congrats on the new bike, it looks good, hope you have many happy miles on it.

Also I’m pretty sure I’m technically classed as a millennial and reading road signs isn’t difficult, I can even read maps!.

maps? Is that an app? :scratch: :tumble:

Available from the Ordnance Survey App Store!.

After a month of trawling through Ebay and Facebook Market place, I come across a 2005 SV650s on gumtree for £1500 with 30kmiles, 1 previous owner, full service history.

I honestly thought my search would lead deep into winter, but nope, found her Tuesday, saw her Wednesday & picked her up Thursday.

I'm SE London and she was in Wembley (NW). It rained all the way from me going to pick her up, to riding her home. My current Phone holder didn't fit so I had to rely on road signs (a strange notion for a millennial :) ) . I also didn't realise the S version is the leaned riding position until I was riding her away, so that took 20 minutes to get used to. My tight-ish textile trousers gave way in the middle when I climbed on and hugged the tank with my legs.

I'm no expert, so I will just change the oil for today, and book her in for a full service sometime soon.

Really happy with the purchase. I was Initially going to go for an MT-07, as that's what I learned on, but that's out of my budget at the moment.

Anyway, off I go to change the oil and off for a ride. The roads are still wet, but compared to yesterday's journey, today might as well be summer.

9cac881357996746.jpg

Enjoy it great purchase :thumb:

• 1 year later...

Any tips for me...just passed and have a Fazer 600 hand me down...has a choke and all that stuff I've never heard of!

I only commute to work 5 miles each way and seen a BMW g310R aswell that I can afford and also progresses slowly up the power chart...any advice for me of the two ? Cheers 

Fazer hand me down....you lucky blighter. Stick with that for your first ride and you've got a great bike to build some experience with. 

Chokes aren't that difficult, one of mine has a choke and in cold weather I start it on the choke, leave it running on choke whilst I put my gloves on, then usually the choke can be pushed after a couple of minutes before I set off. If it's really cold, like icy, I leave the choke on for a couple of hundred yards at the most as I have a hill to climb right outside the house.

sell the fazer. buy the Beemer. its a far more modern bike and much more suited to commuting, also it doesn't have a choke. so no need to worry about such archaic stuff, it will also have other things that are seen as important nowadays, like ABS (particularly important if you want to ride in the winter). Is it an A2 license you have? if it is then you can ride the G straightaway.

I may be the only member of this forum to say this. hey ho.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

Any tips for me...just passed and have a Fazer 600 hand me down...has a choke and all that stuff I've never heard of!

I only commute to work 5 miles each way and seen a BMW g310R aswell that I can afford and also progresses slowly up the power chart...any advice for me of the two ? Cheers 

You jammy sod.. that’s a great bike, not just a great 1st bike, see above for choke advice 👍

42 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

sell the fazer. buy the Beemer. its a far more modern bike and much more suited to commuting, also it doesn't have a choke. so no need to worry about such archaic stuff, it will also have other things that are seen as important nowadays, like ABS (particularly important if you want to ride in the winter). Is it an A2 license you have? if it is then you can ride the G straightaway.

Cheers for the advice it's an A licence not A2

Edited by Blackholesun

52 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

:stupid:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

I’m with you on this. 

Take into consideration that most of us do something daft with our first bikes, like dropping them when stationary, or other such silliness.

Having an older bike you're not going to worry too much about is much better than damaging something new and shiny. 

Plus, there's a lot to be said for having two bikes. One workhorse for wet days when the roads are covered in grit and salt. And one shiny one for those rare days when the sun comes out and the roads are dry.

I vote with the Fazer. Cheap as chips to run. More power than you need. Probably already got some signs of rust so, a bit of ACF50 and then you can happily forget about the salt and crap that winter will throw at it. And older bikes are less likely to be stolen than newer (good news when you're commuting). 

But if you're commuting through a low emissions zone, the Fazer might not pass the criteria, and then the Beemer would be good choice.

• Like 3

Cheers for the advice happy to hear everyone's opinion...my daily commute isn't through ulez or anything it's to Heathrow airport from 5 miles away...good point about theft as have had some thefts near me lately but they seem to have been mopeds 

• Like 1

My first big bike is now on ebay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV650-2005-excellent-condition-with-Scott-Oiler-and-12-months-MOT-CBR600/275023776130

It was an amazing 12 months of ownership and a great start into the motorcycle world. 

I PX'd it, and some cash for a Sports bike. 

See below post for more info. 😁

Look out for a  "My first 1000cc bike." this time next year. 😂

• Like 3

On 23/11/2021 at 16:03, Blackholesun said:

Any tips for me...just passed and have a Fazer 600 hand me down...

My first bike was (well... still is, but now finally looking for replacement) XJ6, so not much different. Take it steady, start thinking about 2nd bije when you do at least 5000 miles of practice.

1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

Took the Fazer to work today for the first ride tbh I was a bit apprehensive but got into the swing of it pretty fast and was a nice ride

IMG_20211203_103854.jpg

You made the right choice! Far better bike than the BMW, I think within a couple of months you’d be kicking yourself if you sold the fazer and bought the 310R.

3 minutes ago, Liveware Problem said:

You made the right choice! Far better bike than the BMW, I think within a couple of months you’d be kicking yourself if you sold the fazer and bought the 310R.

You just wait until @Stusees you talking down on beamers...... 😋🤣

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...