Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Long month ahead. "Berthed" to a raft of ships as outer ship of 4 and no cranes will reach so having to use a floating one. Rain stopped as we came in so I got sunburnt instead of damp. Mental afternoon and likely to continue for next 30 days. Whoopee doo.

20220604_124250.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

A bit of a weird experience today. I was out on the bike and suddenly realised I wasn't seeing things quite right. Left eye is fine, right eye blurred. I rang our usual opticians who referred me for an emergency test which showed that my eyes are fine, just that the prescription for my right eye has changed overnight. Given the cost of glasses that's a bit of a bummer as I haven't had them that long.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

We had a kitchen this morning. It’s been dismantled and put in a skip.  Not looking forward to a month without a proper kitchen (microwave and air fryer cooked meals for the intervening period).

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We had a kitchen this morning. It’s been dismantled and put in a skip.  Not looking forward to a month without a proper kitchen (microwave and air fryer cooked meals for the intervening period).

We've got the same thing soon. Building work hopefully starting end of the month. The current kitchen is so shit that we've been cooking with an air fryer and a hob for a year and  half already. We bought a ninja foodi which has been brilliant, works as a pressure cooker, air fried, mini oven and grill. 

48 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I feel your pain. Been without our kitchen from Jan to May. Just waiting for the flooring to go down next week and then I can fit the skirting and then done. Wife has been on at me for years about getting a plate warmer - so we splashed out, since it has been installed it has never been used - she keeps forgetting about it. 😂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, goat said:

We've got the same thing soon. Building work hopefully starting end of the month. The current kitchen is so shit that we've been cooking with an air fryer and a hob for a year and  half already. We bought a ninja foodi which has been brilliant, works as a pressure cooker, air fried, mini oven and grill. 

Ours was a high quality but poorly designed kitchen that was all a bit knackered. We’ve redesigned it to work for our needs and are paying someone vast sums of money to make it happen quicker than we could do it ourselves. We have relocated kitchen activities to the utility room which we’ve kitted out with an air fryer and microwave. I’ll be cleaning up the BBQ and for days when we want something burnt..l 

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

We had to do 3 weeks without ours it's not easy you will be so glad once it's done

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeHorton said:

We had to do 3 weeks without ours it's not easy you will be so glad once it's done

3 weeks is good going. We’ve planned for a month, though the installer has mentioned that he’s been having issues getting some of the white goods, particularly ovens. We’ve specified a Neff oven and, yes, that’s the make he’s having trouble getting. 

Living in tied accommodation we don't get a choice of kitchens. Every house we have moved into has had a crap old kitchen that we've had to live with. 

Eventually they get round to fitting a new kitchen. And without fail three months later I get moved. 

I have promised my wife that when we retire she can have a new kitchen before we move in. But I'd rather do it myself and make sure it's done right. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bender said:

I would never entrust a kitchen to someone else now, seen too many disasters delays and poor to non quality or pride. 

I get that it's not practical or possible for others, I just cringe for you 😁 

I’ve fitted three kitchens myself, plus a couple of utility rooms, and several bathrooms. 

This, though, is a big job, and would take me substantially longer to do. On the bright side, the guy is a local sole trader with a reputation to maintain, I’m on site and will be monitoring both progress and quality.

The bit to cringe about is how much it’s costing 🥲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Living in tied accommodation we don't get a choice of kitchens. Every house we have moved into has had a crap old kitchen that we've had to live with. 

Eventually they get round to fitting a new kitchen. And without fail three months later I get moved. 

I have promised my wife that when we retire she can have a new kitchen before we move in. But I'd rather do it myself and make sure it's done right. 

I’ve mentioned before that we’re renovating our property. We have so much to do, and doing 90% of it ourselves (plus the garden which is quite a challenge) something had to give.