Engine braking is fine

Liveware Problem

Breaks are for stopping, gears are for going...

Personally I like a little engine braking, possibly because I have had total break failure twice in cars... 

Sitting in tropical sun with a hangover and no drinking water for 3 hours is not good for ones sole...

• Like 1

As a hgv driver engine braking is a must and as an old school Gears/engine braking was essential to reduce the risk of brake fade ..

Since automatics became the majority the nooo brakes must be used before gears brigade have risen ...as it is the way they work ...

Nah  ... Use the power ... Why waste it as it is more economical 

• Like 1

Guest Richzx6r
24 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I've ways been an advocate for it.

This has the potential to turn into a popcorn worthy thread! :popcorn:

Think it would be better with a bourbon biscuit myself 

I was taught to drive using engine braking! 

My dad was in the royal engineers and that's the way he was taught especially lugging 100 tonnes about brakes was a no unless needed! 

My driving instructor used to go mad at me as did my bike instructor! 

Then did my psv and it was all engine braking again! 

I have known for many years it does no harm to the engine or gearbox 

The ones you have to watch is the 2 strokes when there is no pre mixed fuel coming in with a closed throttle 

• Like 1

Always used engine braking, it was something I was taught, Bike, car and HGV.  I assumed everyone did, which is why I thought  manufacturers started putting slipper clutches on road oriented bikes and not just race bikes?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimR said:

And why do people think under acceleration to the red line is Wow amazing and that's what it is all about but then as soon as you Allow the engine to head towards redline in deacceleration and OH NO devils work...

It's just like those who say it damages the clutch on decel 🤣

Like it works one way but not the other :classic_rolleyes:

Use engine breaking all the time. Not had an issue yet. Just a touch of brake to activate brake lights to indicate to numpty behind that I'm  slowing down as I don't really want to be a bonnet  ornament.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 2

I was taught to drive using engine braking and always have done. I think it enables better anticipation. When I started on bikes I was advised to touch the brake to show the brake light. 

I hate being a passenger in a car where the driver drives on the brakes, they just don't think ahead.

Brake and tyre particles plus the extra fuel used are a good environmental reason for using engine braking.

• Like 3

When someone told me they now instruct learners to use the clutch n brake to come to a stop in whatever gear they’re in I didn’t believe it, they used to bang on about ‘cruising with the engine disengaged being out of control’ but sure enough both sons with different instructors had just that. I find it disconcerting to be in the car with them now because it feels wrong, like they don’t know what they’re doing, like they’re not slowing in time but that’s how they were taught. Weird. 

I grow up on race track where I had my first bike rides and learn how to.

Generally  on race track or fast riding on the road I use booth, engine and brakes, first to slow down, than front brake to increase the weight on the front wheel in order to get more traction. Braking deep into the corner.

Driving car was much different with manual gearbox, brakes would last for over 40k miles, used them only to get to stop or if screwed up something. Mostly because I had a lot of rides on snow covered roads.

Today with automatic gearbox unfortunately brakes are only way to stop, except if I choose to use paddle shifts, but usually I am to lazy to do so.