Scotland 2021

fastbob

It's about time I wrote up this year's trip to Scotland . In order to cut out the really shitty part I set off from Coventry and headed north into Staffordshire via Lichfield and Uttoxeter then across to the M6 near Stone . Traffic was lighter than expected so I just droned on up past Manchester and Lancaster as far as Carnforth before peeling off to find the A6 . I stuck to the A6 right up through Kendal and Shap as far as Penrith . This was a beautiful section of road through gorgeous open countryside with hardly any traffic at all . At Penrith I nipped back onto the remainder of the M6 to get beyond Carlisle then came off again at Gretna to pick up the B7076 / B7078 . For those who don't know , this road is largely made up of remnants of the old A74 and runs parallel to the M74 all the way to Glasgow . It is not unusual to ride this entire road and only see half a dozen other vehicles . Great fun and really relaxing to ride . I made camp at my secret location between Crawford and Abington where I had a very peaceful nights sleep . Up in the morning and off again . I joined the M74 at Lesmahagow , flew through Glasgow , across the Erskine Bridge and up Loch Lomond to Tarbet where there is a great picnic area and cafe with a wide view down the Loch . Onwards to Fort William over Rannoch Moor and through Glen Coe , in the dry ! I deliberately got petrol before Fort William so that I could ride straight through without stopping at this loathsome place . I took the Road to the Isles out to Mallaig , got more petrol and doubled back to the silver sands of the Morar Estuary where I enjoyed another great night of free camping next to the beach . Day three , back to Fort William because I hadn't booked the ferry , up to Loch Ness and then another brilliant ride from Invergary to the Kyle of Lochalsh then up around Lochcarron where I enjoyed a lovely cream tea at the local golf course . The weather was absolutely glorious so I carried on over the mountains to the turn off for the notorious Bealach Na Ba pass . I wasn't going to do this but the sun was shining and the clouds were high up so I went for it . The Harley took the whole thing in its stride as if it was built for it . I pulled over into the viewing area at the summit where there was a group of bikers who seemed to be in a great hurry to leave . As soon as they had all roared off I found out why . There was a drunken Scotsman bellowing vile abuse at me . At first I thought he was having a laugh but it quickly turned really nasty . " f**k off back te England ye fat c**t and tak yer faggot bike wi ye , go awn , f**k right off noo , ye have no right coming here every f**kin' year ye bast*rds ye ! " Etc etc . Well what was I going to do ? Here I was alone at 2,000 feet with a raving lunatic . Who knows what weaponry he had in his van ? I decided to leave him to his ranting and headed down into Applecross . To be continued ......

IMG_20210620_084752601.jpg

IMG_20210620_195204549.jpg

IMG_20210621_130400856.jpg

IMG_20210621_143912037_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210621_155138632.jpg

IMG_20210621_172927380_HDR.jpg

Polish_20210706_104839099.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

So 6 men got scared and did one? 

Fannies 

They weren't all men . 

As someone who regularly spends time in Glasgow and has many Scottish friends I sympathise with this.

I've had the FEB bollox said to me in the past (fxxxxx English bxxxxxx).

And the problem is many Scots, especially weegies know that they can intimidate a lot of English purely by shouting n balling in the weegie accent.

Saying that I love the place its just the minority that ruin it for the rest.

I've always found that giving it back has worked for me. Yes very difficult as a lone traveller but they deffo prefer the direct approach in my experience. 

• Like 3

Idiots, what else to say. I have passed through Yugoslav war because of same stupid mentality (from both sides). Wasted my best years instead to chase girls 👧 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

What's not to like about Inverness, can take south side through Dores its a great road, if you go over Friars bridge and turn left, the Dock Road goes round the outside and re joins a9 cutting out all the crap. 

Some great pics 👍 

2 hours ago, Six30 said:

Do you take weapons in case of an attack @fastbob ?

great write up , its enough to make me want to go buy a tent ....

It's a reasonable question actually . No , I don't take any self defense items other than a kitchen knife ( for cullinary purposes ) . Once you get north of Glasgow you realise that the current atmosphere of violence and paranoia is something that is mainly confined to the UK's big cities . 

• Like 1

One thing you have to play close attention in Scotland is at some times of the year sheep go mental.

This because they eat the magic mushrooms that grow in the wild and after nobody can predict what the silly buggers will do.

Not rare to see one being high as a kite jumping to the road in front of a bike. 🙄

7 hours ago, husoi said:

One thing you have to play close attention in Scotland is at some times of the year sheep go mental.

This because they eat the magic mushrooms that grow in the wild and after nobody can predict what the silly buggers will do.

Not rare to see one being high as a kite jumping to the road in front of a bike. 🙄

I read a report on the HD FB page this week of just such an incident from a lady on a Sportster touring Scotland . A sheep leapt out , she skidded to avoid it ,  hit the sheep and killed it , crashed her bike into a river and was airlifted to hospital with bruising . The police left the bike in the river and put Accident Aware tape on it . In the morning the bike had been dragged out of the river and stolen . Talk about a bad day ! 

Screenshot_20210728-163458.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Sad 2

On 27/07/2021 at 20:22, Bender said:

What's not to like about Inverness, can take south side through Dores its a great road, if you go over Friars bridge and turn left, the Dock Road goes round the outside and re joins a9 cutting out all the crap. 

Some great pics 👍 

Inverness has some nice enough bits . I've actually spent a great deal of time there waiting for the Bicycle Bus up to Ullapool on my Hebridean cycling adventures . I suppose I just wanted to avoid it because it's a bit of a shock to the system after a week in the Highlands . I've cycled down to Dores and seen  the Nessie Hunter who lives in a broken down van . My best memory of Inverness , however , has to be cycling along the canal and stumbling upon the giant model of the Titanic in someone's back garden . 

Screenshot_20210728-210754.png

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Inverness has some nice enough bits . I've actually spent a great deal of time there waiting for the Bicycle Bus up to Ullapool on my Hebridean cycling adventures . I suppose I just wanted to avoid it because it's a bit of a shock to the system after a week in the Highlands . I've cycled down to Dores and seen  the Nessie Hunter who lives in a broken down van . My best memory of Inverness , however , has to be cycling along the canal and stumbling upon the giant model of the Titanic in someone's back garden . 

Screenshot_20210728-210754.png

I remember that, bloke died few year back. 

I got lost as a kid on the islands 😂