Crash protection bars, slider etc, are they worth it?

I have always had crash protection on my bikes, usually the bar type, like scaffolding on the side of the bike. My new bike has nothing and the options are

1 - most basic crash slider/bobbin, looks like a fat tube sticking out the side of the bike £50,

2 - more expensive nicer slider/bobbin, aero shaped, more subtle, £70

3 - basic crash bars, £100

4 - named brand crash bars, £140

5 - Kawasaki's own slider, looks quite nice £160

6 - mental crash bars that even cover the panniers £250

If I come off at any speed, I would need to replace parts of the bike anyway, as well as the crash protection. Maybe if the bike just falls on it side, the crash protection will be unmarked, but chances are the hand guard will hit the ground first, if not the panniers. I don't off road like I used to, or go out in the winter. So, is crash protection actually worth it?

What about if you round a corner and slide on gravel! we know that happens sometimes :grin:

As to is it worth it well it will only be worth it if you use the bars as they would then be doing their job and protecting the bike but if you don't use them then its a waste of money! 

Its an insurance policy really 

18 hours ago, Stu said:

What about if you round a corner and slide on gravel! we know that happens sometimes :grin:

As to is it worth it well it will only be worth it if you use the bars as they would then be doing their job and protecting the bike but if you don't use them then its a waste of money! 

Its an insurance policy really 

I ended up on my side twice with that Versys. It came with crash bungs and the time you are referring to, the only damage was that the peg bent downwards. Both myself and the pillion ended up under the bike, which helped to keep it off the ground. I was able to unbolt the peg and put it back in the correct position. The other time was an off at about 20mph on mud. The crash bung ground down and there were scrapes on the pannier, wing mirror, hand guard and a tiny mark on the fairing. It cost me £100 to put right, half of which was replacing the ground down crash bung.

1 minute ago, Throttled said:

I ended up on my side twice with that Versys. It came with crash bungs and the time you are referring to, the only damage was that the peg bent downwards. Both myself and the pillion ended up under the bike, which helped to keep it off the ground. I was able to unbolt the peg and put it back in the correct position. The other time was an off at about 20mph on mud. The crash bung ground down and there were scrapes on the pannier, wing mirror, hand guard and a tiny mark on the fairing. It cost me £100 to put right, half of which was replacing the ground down crash bung.

Yeah I remember you saying at the time that you ended up under the bike! 

The points I'm making though is you just never know when/if its going to happen :? we all know the plan is for it not to happen! 

Personally I like the idea of crash bars. I wanted some for the BMW but I can't find any at a good price that I like and the ones I like are £450 from US of A which means I will get import duty too! 

I’ve dropped my Pan European a couple of times but only when it’s standing still on grass. The OE crash bars have kept all the delicate bits off the ground and there’s been no actual damage. I’m not sure what level of protection they would offer the bike at even medium speed on tarmac but they would obviously help someone from getting their leg trapped under the bike.  
My CB500X has SW Mototech engine guards but that’s because it’s more likely to get dropped as it’s ridden a lot on slippery surfaces. 

Edited by DuRavary

I had engine bars on the last two bikes, I'm still looking of some for the KTM, and I will purchase some crash bungs for the MT at some point (still saving up) If there is a drop or slide, at least I've done my best to create damage limitation. Six years ago I was involved in a head on collision and nothing could have saved the bike. Still it could have been worse. :thumb:

I decided that sliders looked out of place on the Bobber. Then I dropped it (in a car park at under 2mph 🤬) and discovered that bent pegs, broken levers, damaged exhausts and damaged mirrors also look out of place.

It now has Puig classic sliders.

• Haha 3

I used to sell R&G crash bungs when I worked in a bike shop . R&G always took the trouble to design something that would protect the bodywork or the engine cases wherever possible no matter how ugly or complicated it was .  In quite a few cases though , it was necessary to cut a hole in the bodywork of up to 2" In diameter which didn't go down too well with many customers . 

I wonder...

How difficult it will be to make my own crash bars for my shadow. 🤔

I should stop reading all the threads in here. 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, husoi said:

I wonder...

How difficult it will be to make my own crash bars for my shadow. 🤔

I should stop reading all the threads in here. 🙄

It's survived 35 years , why now ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fastbob said:

It's survived 35 years , why now ? 

Because you guys are always putting new ideas in my head 😋🤣

9 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Not difficult if you've access to a workshop. I don't so £160 please.

£160 for a set? I'm sure I can make it a lot cheaper, at least £155 😄

Plus, a couple days locked in the garage away from the missus 😎

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, husoi said:

Because you guys are always putting new ideas in my head 😋🤣

£160 for a set? I'm sure I can make it a lot cheaper, at least £155 😄

Plus, a couple days locked in the garage away from the missus 😎

Its not just the physical exterior product uou need to consider ..R&g protection and GB racing ( as others do as well)  also incorporate the hardware used to mount is designed to bend/stretch to minimise damage to the mounting points . If i remember suzuki didnt recommend mounting crash protection as it would snap the frame/engine mounting points .

So something to bear in mind 

• Like 2

So...

Started designing my new crash bars (yes it is your fault 😋)

Will have front and rear protection.

Front setting will be similar to traditional "C" shape as you will find on google with fixing points at the top and the bottom. The difference (of course there is one) I'll be making a bend backwards.

This is a raw draft first design for what I would consider building for the front.

image.thumb.png.84287949e492948ad443ddee1c201155.png

Rear bar would be a "C" shape similar to the one in the pic below

Honda Shadow VT750 C4 & AERO 2004 - 2007 Rear Crash Bars ...

Hope you're happy for putting another crazy idea in my head 🤣

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Yeah I remember you saying at the time that you ended up under the bike! 

The points I'm making though is you just never know when/if its going to happen :? we all know the plan is for it not to happen! 

Personally I like the idea of crash bars. I wanted some for the BMW but I can't find any at a good price that I like and the ones I like are £450 from US of A which means I will get import duty too! 

That is part of my point about worthiness. If you go over, you have damaged £450 worth of crash protection, plus all the other parts that get damaged anyway, just as mirrors and at the back of the bike. I am not sure it is worth spending £450 and may just save that money for repairs, if the bike does go on its side.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fastbob said:

I used to sell R&G crash bungs when I worked in a bike shop . R&G always took the trouble to design something that would protect the bodywork or the engine cases wherever possible no matter how ugly or complicated it was .  In quite a few cases though , it was necessary to cut a hole in the bodywork of up to 2" In diameter which didn't go down too well with many customers . 

If I do get crash protection, the R&G Aero bungs are not too expensive at £70 and I don't need to cut anything to fit them. The issue is that if the bike just falls over, they will not save much damage as the handlebar will take most of the impact. The Versys has big wide handle bars that will hit the ground first. If the bike goes over at any speed, then again the handlebars and the back end of the bike slides along the ground. 

1 hour ago, husoi said:

So...

Started designing my new crash bars (yes it is your fault 😋)

Will have front and rear protection.

Front setting will be similar to traditional "C" shape as you will find on google with fixing points at the top and the bottom. The difference (of course there is one) I'll be making a bend backwards.

This is a raw draft first design for what I would consider building for the front.

image.thumb.png.84287949e492948ad443ddee1c201155.png

Rear bar would be a "C" shape similar to the one in the pic below

Honda Shadow VT750 C4 & AERO 2004 - 2007 Rear Crash Bars ...

Hope you're happy for putting another crazy idea in my head 🤣

Those chrome rear crash bars look as though they were taken from my 1975 CB250G5. 🙂

17 minutes ago, DuRavary said:

Those chrome rear crash bars look as though they were taken from my 1975 CB250G5. 🙂

I have no idea what bike is that one. Is just to give an idea of what I'll be making :thumb: 

Here's an idea I came across recently . No need for crash bars . As soon as the bike hits the ground it simply bounces back up again . 

Screenshot_20211009-220240.png