textile v cordura

I'm in a bit of a spot here(wide choices).

the reason why is that cordura  jackets are 100% water proof according to the adverts.

textiles are only shower proof but if water proof spray on it make it more water proof but not 100%.

a lot of cordura jackets on ebay  tend to cost around £50/£70.

I don't think I've ever had Cordura jackets mostly Textiles.

have any of you worn a cordura and are they really 100% waterproof.?

Personally I find wearing a textile jacket in the winter keeps me warm and dry in light rain. I have an Oxford Rain Seal jacket to go over the top when the rain is heavier.

I wouldn't rely on either codora or textile to be 100% waterproof in heavy rain.

• Like 1

Regardless I wouldn't buy £60 ebay gear for protection. Could be 100% cordura (or whichever material) but the stitching will probably rip apart in a slide. I'd stick to branded stuff. 

• Like 2

The outer layer of either textile or cordura is not waterproof, which is the reason for a inner layer of Gortex or similar material, but cordura is better at not ripping to bits in the event of a slide, (trust me, I know this) 

• Like 1

I have a hold-all made from Cordura so it must be good. (Obviously)

it’s very old tech that was great at the time. But a £50-£70 motorcycle jacket. Seriously?  Take off all the extra costs involved in getting it from China to your hands and you’re buying a £12 garment to trust your skin to.

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Cordura isn't waterproof, but it's very tough.

The only thing I know that's truly waterproof is goretex.

And laminate at that. Don’t get the goretex liner shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've had a few goretex items that were certainly not waterproof after a year or so. Fine when brand new but it doesn't last long. 

Then you should have demanded a refund. I have a Goretex jacket that is almost 10 years old. If it leaks you can bet I’ll be getting a refund!!

• Like 1

Goretex only allow their name to be put on something if its been tested to a really high standard (hence the highprice) so I've not had anything really Goretex fail yet. However something which isn't always well known is that if you wash a goretex garment with regular detergent it ( the detergent) will screw up the goretex and its waterproofing construction gets wrecked. Something to be aware of. Did a Musto sailing jacket in that way.

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Then you should have demanded a refund. I have a Goretex jacket that is almost 10 years old. If it leaks you can bet I’ll be getting a refund!!

If I was the kind of person who kept receipts, let alone remember where I bought them from, I might have tried. Goretex is good, but my experience is that it isn't as bulletproof as they say it is. 

Very few are in my experience. Years ago I had a barbour jacket for fishing. It did the business well enough but after 5 years or so it fell apart so I bought the new "improved" one. It barely lasted a year and when I complained to barbour they said I had been too harsh in my use. Thing was barbour had moved from being a manufacturer of tough outdoor clothing to a fashion brand  worn by drivers of Chelsea tractors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

Very few are in my experience. Years ago I had a barbour jacket for fishing. It did the business well enough but after 5 years or so it fell apart so I bought the new "improved" one. It barely lasted a year and when I complained to barbour they said I had been too harsh in my use. Thing was barbour had moved from being a manufacturer of tough outdoor clothing to a fashion brand  worn by drivers of Chelsea tractors.

Kind of like landrover,  there are only so many people who want hard working long lasting vehicles… You make more money out of Chelsea Tractor drivers and there are more of them to buy them..

Sailing gear and sadly biking gear is going the same way the brand matters more than the quality….

Certainly happened to “biker cafes” they soon learn there is more money to be made out of a Saturday of OAPs coffee and cakes than Biker Mug of tea and bacon roll….

Back to the gear question I have generally looked at the quality and build and figgured if they put it together well.  They probably thought about what went into it as well…

it’s very old tech that was great at the time. But a £50-£70 motorcycle jacket. Seriously?  Take off all the extra costs involved in getting it from China to your hands and you’re buying a £12 garment to trust your skin to.

just because I said they tend to be around £50/£70 doesn't mean I'll buy one.

my current jacket wife inc is oxford Montreal .it still in good nick.

not been worn that much.bought it just before the pandemic so it probably has about 6 continues use.

the shoulder flo pattern has faded a bit other than that its still looks new.

anyway thanks for the input.

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If I was the kind of person who kept receipts, let alone remember where I bought them from, I might have tried. Goretex is good, but my experience is that it isn't as bulletproof as they say it is. 

You don’t need a receipt.

My riding kit is all gortex based, generic “Norman” Chinese jacket, Oxford jacket also made in China and a pair of armoured trousers....made in China ... all were relatively cheap, the Oxford was a £100, which was the total of the other 2 garments .... but all have served me well in rain and shine .... These jackets for £300 and more that we see plastered over the ads in bike magazines baffle me .... what do they do ... make toast .. ??

It is has been my winter goto for the last 3 years a spada phoslite jacket and trousers. Jacket has 3 layers you can wear the inner as a waterproof jacket itself. I think I paid £120 for the set great quality armour in it, kept me totally dry and toasty warm in winter. I have a local supplier that gets a lot of seconds and end of line stuff as the main supplier warehouse is nearby and they have a contact. 

Kit is like bikes horses for courses and budgets etc. I like to get good wear and value, my Oxford leathers are 4 years in and still great. If anyone is in the West Mids area I'd defo recommend where I get my stuff from great value

images.jpeg