Speed camera on every street (potentially)

Bender

I love the bit the says the report will be emailed to me and can be used to prosecute the motorist. Am I a public prosecutor? How does that bit work?

They will give up the idea as soon the flood of wrong readings come through.

You just need 1mm move to change the speed reading

I do believe that UK law allows the accused to face the accuser which means whoever took the footage will have to go to court.

I would challenge the competence of some idiot with a smartphone...

FFS what will some of these clowns come up with next .... "20 is plenty" Nob!  This country has got to be one of the worst countries in the world at the moment for the continued attack on motorists.  I wonder how long it'll be before motorists eventually start biting back.

• Like 1

I doubt this will ever have any effect. When they put average speed cameras on the A55 they had so many recorded incidents that they couldn't process them all so the cameras got set to a higher level to reduce the number of reported offences.

Having just been working on our village green which is a 30mph zone I'm all in favour of enforcing speed limits. Some of the muppets going through the village passing people working at the side of the road were well over the limit. It's also a school drop off zone but that doesn't slow them down. In the end we had to park a tractor partially blocking the road to give us space to work safely.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I doubt this will ever have any effect. When they put average speed cameras on the A55 they had so many recorded incidents that they couldn't process them all so the cameras got set to a higher level to reduce the number of reported offences.

Having just been working on our village green which is a 30mph zone I'm all in favour of enforcing speed limits. Some of the muppets going through the village passing people working at the side of the road were well over the limit. It's also a school drop off zone but that doesn't slow them down. In the end we had to park a tractor partially blocking the road to give us space to work safely.

Same as the Hagley Rd Birmingham avg speed cameras are only on for certain hours they cannot deal with the level of violations. I agree with built up areas keep the speed down. I live just off a ring road it's like a racetrack, all the speed cameras on it are now obsolete, nothing will be done until there is a fatal collision. 

6 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

…nothing will be done until there is a fatal collision. 

Even then it doesn’t always follow. There’s a bit of a road just up from village where I live, big straight with a hidden dip and about 4 side roads. End of straight goes into series of sharp curves with double whites down the middle. See nutters taking chances most days, overtaking late and crossing double whites. There’s a fatal every year. I’d like to see more convictions for driving like a twat rather than just a blanket breaking of a speed limit.

• Like 3

Open roads that used to be NSL but are often reduced to 50 mph I don't get too aerated over folks speeding, might even be tempted myself. But in built up areas where kids and pets can be running around or older folks crossing roads I think speed limits are useful and should be enforced. The road I live on is a narrow road just wide enough for a lane in each direction. It's a steep hill with a series of sharp bends and a number of even smaller roads joining it. The posted limit is 20 mph which is fair enough. Most drivers more or less comply. A few knobbers don't and although no kids have been hurt every year pets get killed. The worst offenders though are cyclists coming down the hill as its one of the known local bike routes. They come down at pretty high speeds and you don't hear them coming. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Open roads that used to be NSL but are often reduced to 50 mph I don't get too aerated over folks speeding, might even be tempted myself. But in built up areas where kids and pets can be running around or older folks crossing roads I think speed limits are useful and should be enforced. The road I live on is a narrow road just wide enough for a lane in each direction. It's a steep hill with a series of sharp bends and a number of even smaller roads joining it. The posted limit is 20 mph which is fair enough. Most drivers more or less comply. A few knobbers don't and although no kids have been hurt every year pets get killed. The worst offenders though are cyclists coming down the hill as its one of the known local bike routes. They come down at pretty high speeds and you don't hear them coming. 

Agree totally with what you're saying here.  They made a main road near me, through a village, 20mph.  Thats fair enough, a few properties down there come straight out their front door onto the road,  and whilst there's never been any serious accidents, the potential is there.  However,  in line with what you said,  I went through there not that long ago,  on the bike, doing 20mph,  and was over taken by two clowns on e-bikes who seem to think they're above the law.  I'm sure they thought it was all big and clever but sooner or later they're going to seriously injure someone and from what I see, plod just turns a blind eye.

• Like 2

In north wale, Buckley, they have just made the entire town a 20mph speed limit. Thw Welsh governemnt are supposedy doing it as a trial but all the signs etc. look very permanent. The ultimate aim of the Welsh government is to chnage all current 30mph limits to 20mph.

Stupid thing is the main road from where I live - Ewloe to Buckley passes a school where the legal speed limt is 30mph (with an advisory 20mph) once past the school it changes to legal 20mph.

I recon the vehicles own technology will be used in the not so distant future. Lets face it, a modern vehicle knows exactly where it is via GPS and what speed it's doing (measuring time over distance in addition to the speedo).

It's not much of a stretch to imagine the ECU implementing a restriction when it senses you're near a school for example. In Sweden they had a pilot where the throttle vibrated under your foot if you were speeding in a car.

• Like 2

Unlikely to result in any prosecutions because the 'evidence' has to be 100% bona fide to prosecute. Also, the CPS has to consider whether a case is in the interest of the public to proceed. Unlikely in most cases.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, handyman said:

I recon the vehicles own technology will be used in the not so distant future. Lets face it, a modern vehicle knows exactly where it is via GPS and what speed it's doing (measuring time over distance in addition to the speedo).

It's not much of a stretch to imagine the ECU implementing a restriction when it senses you're near a school for example. In Sweden they had a pilot where the throttle vibrated under your foot if you were speeding in a car.

New cars already have to warn you it's no biggie for them to limit speed, problem is the system does not always know the speed.