People who start out on 1000cc superbikes

Geoff Wilson

On 30/05/2022 at 01:16, Geoff Wilson said:

So let me get this straight, are some people on here recommending or at least having no issues with someone who has just passed his/her bike test getting an R1 or GSXR1000 for his/her first bike? 

I can link to dozens upon dozens of threads about this question on different forums, on Reddit, etc. The answer is quite clear - NO.

Litre bikes can even get the better of people who have 20+ years of experience on the roads. 

Even though I did it and it was fine and I tell people this, I do agree that it's still not generally good advice. 

If someone says they're gonna do it I'm like cool, you'll be fine, enjoy. 

18 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Basically ride what the hell you like. Nobody cares if it's a 125 or 1250 except you. If you are happy with the big bike go for it. It won't kill you unless you are a dick with it. Smaller bike can just as easily wipe you out.

If only it were as easy as that. Smaller bikes forgive people more. Bigger bikes will bite even the most experienced riders in their arses. 

32 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Even though I did it and it was fine and I tell people this, I do agree that it's still not generally good advice. 

If someone says they're gonna do it I'm like cool, you'll be fine, enjoy. 

Why is it not "generally good advice"?

@Geoff Wilson You clearly have researched this and formed a considered opinion. Other people on here have various experiences of riding various bikes of various sizes. Different people come to different conclusions. Personally some bikes scare me and I wouldn't ride one on the public road. Those are 125s which in my experience are far too dangerous.

It's not a matter of who is right and who is wrong. It's just a case of ask 10 people the same question and you will get 10 different answers. If you're lucky one of the ten might be the same answer as your own. The other 9 are just as valid.

If you are a novice and don't want to ride a 1000cc bike then don't buy one. 

If the next bloke/lass decides different then that's their choice.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 19:44, Geoff Wilson said:

Do people actually start out on 1000cc superbikes?

A vanishingly small minority might (if they can afford the insurance), but these bikes aren't selling anymore in anything like the numbers of yesteryear. so.. the subject is largely irrelevant in 2022.

The biggest selling bike last year above 125cc was a 1250cc Adventure bike. There wasn't a single 1000cc super bike in the top 10. I visit my local dealers fairly often and the supersports bikes just sit there, wheras the adventure bikes are selling faster than they can be imported. waiting lists are now commonplace. 2nd hand trade-ins might just last a week before being sold, but it has to be a slow week.

The most talked about bikes (sub litre) are Indian made 350cc and 650cc Royal Enfields. which are massive sellers despite all their shortcomings.

When I got my first GS in 1997, "Adventure Bikes" didn't exist.. super sport and sport bikes were the thing. so this topic was relevant then. not now. We're in a whole new reality.

• Like 1

How's the tree. 

Your only arguing with yourself, the rules are if you pass das you can ride what you want that's fine by me. 

Some one fancies a super Duke that's fine by me too, same as if they just want a 250 v strom

I suggest if your so set against this you should campaign to have the rules changed. 

As for individuals having issues with throttle control, you won't find many bothering to post that they had a really boring ride, got home safe and managed to control hands and feet in a coordinated manner so successfully they didn't crash.

If you can't control throttle I suggest not riding anything. 

• Like 1

I like that other peoples opinions from other forums are used as evidence supporting his POV, but ours are completely disregarded. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

I like that other peoples opinions from other forums are used as evidence supporting his POV, but ours are completely disregarded. 

Cause we are wrong 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:

never let facts get in the way of a good opinion     (slightly misquoted)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gerontious said:

We're in a whole new reality.

having moved from a race rep .. i had for 12 years .. the reality is the ridin position is fcukin spacerisin ... machinery i ride now is far more utilitarian ..  speed traps .. scamera vans have also played their part .. 😭

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It's not a matter of who is right and who is wrong. It's just a case of ask 10 people the same question and you will get 10 different answers. If you're lucky one of the ten might be the same answer as your own. The other 9 are just as valid.

But if you ask enough people you eventually get the answer you want ;-) 

I have found this a lot! people are just trying to justify their purchase or not as the case maybe and they are just after the correct answers from other people 

• Like 2

Electronics packages, these days, are absolutely superb, too. I think that nullifies 90% of what historically would have been “too much” for inexperienced riders. TC and ABS on bikes like the current gen S1KRR are just phenomenal. They really do eliminate so much rider error.

All that’s left is high speed and an absolutely whopper of a bellend rider who’s asking for trouble. (And other road users - who are a problem regardless of the bike).

I personally wouldn’t recommend a motorcycle to anyone under 30. I think they require a certain level of road experience regardless of size (and that’s based on a sample size of one - me).

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 3

I went 30 years without riding a bike then went and got my multistrada. I did do some refresher training which was beneficial as bikes had changed quite a lot in the intervening decades. I never felt the need to justify to myself or anyone else why I bought the bike I did. It gives me huge pleasure and 4 years down the road its not killed me yet. Yes I've dropped it when stationary and have managed to pick it up on my own despite its +200 kg weight. Did need a bit of a pause to get my breath back afterwards.  Just do what you are happy doing FFS. Nobody is telling you that you  must have a 1000 cc bike.

13 hours ago, Joe85 said:

That's not the point.

Are people on here advocating for people to start out on superbikes? 

Edited by Geoff Wilson

3 minutes ago, Bender said:

Just to continue your inability to let it go yes 😁 

There's quite a bit of hyperbole on this thread.

You're taking what I asked out of context.

I'm not saying that people can't start out on 1000cc bikes, but the idea that someone can just pass his/her bike test and then ride an R1 or a GSXR1000 is barking mad. Don't you think so?

There's nothing stopping someone who has passed his/her bike test from buying such a big and powerful bike, but some of the litre bikes are known as 'widow makers' for a reason! 

Edited by Geoff Wilson

My brother had this in the mid 90s I rode it a lot and at the time had only rode a 125 aprilia and a 250 virago this was a proper handful no engine modes or rider aids. He would be a few quid richer if he had this beastie bike now 

Kawasaki Z1R  2.jpg

• Like 2

If you have a licence that you can ride any capacity bike then you can legally ride it, just buy a bike you like and get on with life. Any bike can be a widow maker if it all goes wrong.

34 minutes ago, Old-codger said:

If you have a licence that you can ride any capacity bike then you can legally ride it, just buy a bike you like and get on with life. Any bike can be a widow maker if it all goes wrong.

Do you think all bikes ride the same way? There's a big difference between a Harley and an R1.

This thread is becoming circular. it's been answered multiple times.

23 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

There's a big difference between a Harley and an R1.

who knew.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

This thread is becoming circular. it's been answered multiple times.

who knew.

If your mate who had just passed his bike test told you he was going to buy an R1 or a GSXR1000, what would you say to him?

21 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

If your mate who had just passed his bike test told you he was going to buy an R1 or a GSXR1000, what would you say to him?

I'd probably say 'talk to Geoff about it`

• Haha 3