Passing Cyclists

onesea

Looking in dark shameful recesses of the interweb to which you should not admit. 

I came across this quote from Surrey Police...

"However for future submissions please remember that the suggested passing distance of 1.5 metres, as per the Highway Code, is only a recommendation, and is not mandatory. All submissions will be reviewed and considered on a case by case basis.  "

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-815-drivers-dont-get-message-295501

Sadly there are statements in there that are also not strictly true regarding double white lines.

I am also not condoning people passing Cyclists at 6" it at high speed.

However next time I meet a Pelaton (or occasional solo rider) that decides that moving out towards the central white broken line must stop a car or motorbike over taking.....

I might just proceed with caution.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 3

As a cyclist.....

It's the group rides from towns who come out to rural areas and block the roads that bug me. They forget that their leisure activity is happening where rural communities have to live and work. 

Solo or two riders are usually fine. 

There's a simple method, less space, less speed, which means if you can pass safely at a lower speed then do so. It's the idiots who pass at high speed that cause problems.

25 minutes ago, rennie said:

Pain in the arse when we were in Scotland in the campervan!

I tried to give them plenty of room but, on some roads, it's just not possible :scratch:

On some roads its impossible. 

I had a nice cyclist yesterday,  single lane country road he had to ride at least 2ft from the edge due to state of road and hedge, he pulled into a gateway soon as he realised,  unfortunately most I come across are just twats. 

• Like 4

it's the groups of riders out pretending to be "tour de' France" wannabes that get up my nose.  I was behind a group of them a couple of days ago, massive queue of traffic down a narrow country road, I managed to slowly pick my way towards the front of the queue when I could see if was a group of about eleven riders, all over the road.  No one could get past them, and they had no intention of moving over.  Which I'm sure is covered under Sect:66 of the Highway code.  That said, I've also come across one or two considerate and even helpful cyclists.  I think, as with all hobbies and past times, it's a minority that give the majority a bad name, unfortunately I always seem to come across the entitled "Richard Heads".

• Like 3

I have noticed that most car drivers are now leaving a lot more room when overtaking cyclists. So much so,that on a few occasions recently I have been riding my motorbike. In the centre of my lane. And I have had to swerve to the nearside to avoid a car approaching in the opposite direction. And overtaking a cyclist. Absolute madness. And I say this as a keen cyclist myself

Edited by Davidtav
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Davidtav said:

I have noticed that most car drivers are now leaving a lot more room when overtaking cyclists. So much so,that on a few occasions recently I have been riding my motorbike. In the centre of my lane. And I have had to swerve to the nearside to avoid a car approaching in the opposite direction. And overtaking a cyclist. Absolute madness. And I say this as a keen cyclist myself

I've had this several times since the change in rules.

Cars overcompensate how much space to give. Then they end up on the wrong side of the road playing chicken with me or whatever else is coming towards them.

I've had to manoeuvre out of the way a few times now when cars are coming towards me 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bender said:

Me too,  it should also say if a cycle lane is available you must use it or your fair game. 

Except that some councils eager to be seen to be doing good create "cycle lanes" which are rubbish, badly designed, dangerous and basically so crap they're unsafe and unfit for purpose. 

I would point to Chester Council who proudly declared Chester to be a 'cycle city' by just putting bikes onto pavements until you come to a busy junction at which point bikes merge back into the main carriageway at the worst possible point. They also designate a railway bridge with steps as a cycle route. Apparently none of the councillors know that bikes have wheels and don't navigate steps very well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Cars overcompensate how much space to give. Then they end up on the wrong side of the road playing chicken with me or whatever else is coming towards them.

I've had to manoeuvre out of the way a few times now when cars are coming towards me 

Sadly to common, my nephew was run off the road last weekend on his 125 by this, luckily stayed shinny side up. Apparently a passerby had a look of terror, he went back and had a word with the driver. The passerby gave him the thumbs up.

The last one who did it to me lost a wing mirror, to my fist. They stopped so I went back, they told me it was my fault. They where going to call the police I advised them I would be delighted to wait.  Adding I had a witness on the following bike and they had it all on cam.  They decided not to exchange details or call the police.

Now if I see a cyclist I will position near the middle of the road to make it clear to the on coming not to try, make sure I have time to react.

• Like 1

Just to say that the cycle and bus lane experiment in Chester was suspended shortly after it first went live and remains suspended to this day.

Cycling is now very poplar but some people have no idea how to ride safely. Travelling in Lancs yesterday and one cyclist was happily riding in the very centre of a two lane road and just holding everyone up. Massive line of traffic behind him/her. 

Anyway rant over. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, VaraMan said:

Just to say that the cycle and bus lane experiment in Chester was suspended shortly after it first went live and remains suspended to this day.

Cycling is now very poplar but some people have no idea how to ride safely. Travelling in Lancs yesterday and one cyclist was happily riding in the very centre of a two lane road and just holding everyone up. Massive line of traffic behind him/her. 

Anyway rant over. 

That was the latest fiasco which everyone told them wouldn't work. The original lousy system through Sealand remains in use. 

The only winners with the bus lane idea were motorcycles as we could use the empty lanes which made getting through the city very quick.  

On 27/08/2022 at 16:56, daveinlim said:

I don’t have a helmet cam. But I’m thinking of getting one just so I can submit footage next time this happens. Somehow I suspect they won’t be interested 

Cyclists need to be reminded;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

"Rule 66

You should

...be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Throttled said:

Cyclists need to be reminded;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

"Rule 66

You should

...be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so"

Speaking as a cyclist....I entirely agree. The way some group rides go for miles holding up traffic is just plain arrogance and ignorance. 

• Like 4

If come across a ‘group’ of cyclists on rural roads pretending they are professionals. I have been known to flip the front of my lid up and shout at them along the lines of “You bunch of inconsiderate w**kers!!” 
I can never hear their reply over the revs bouncing off the limiter. Clutch in styley… 

Edited by fullscreenaging

I honestly don't worry about it. Roads are a shared space and priority is given, rather than taken. If a group of cyclists are out doing a time trial or whatever, it's obviously important to them.  Same with a tractor on harvest duty, the annual march to the cenotaph, etc. Just treat it all like a fallen tree or icy roads and leave an extra 5 minutes for unforseen circumstances.

We tend to see things only from our own point of view. Like the young guy who woke the whole street up one morning abusing the bin men who had the temerity to get in his way.  Instead of having a tantrum, he could have gone the other way.  I guess he'd be the first to complain if his bin didn't get emptied though. 

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I honestly don't worry about it. Roads are a shared space and priority is given, rather than taken. If a group of cyclists are out doing a time trial or whatever, it's obviously important to them.  Same with a tractor on harvest duty, the annual march to the cenotaph, etc. Just treat it all like a fallen tree or icy roads and leave an extra 5 minutes for unforseen circumstances.

We tend to see things only from our own point of view. Like the young guy who woke the whole street up one morning abusing the bin men who had the temerity to get in his way.  Instead of having a tantrum, he could have gone the other way.  I guess he'd be the first to complain if his bin didn't get emptied though. 

I agree with that but would make an exception for horseboxes. Horses should be banned from being moved unless they are being taken to the glue factory or findus, in which case there's no need to drive them carefully and slowly.

Can we not take lycra clad cyclists who insist on behaving like cnuts to Findus or the glue factory?

It rips my knitting when they abandon there Chelsea tractors in the village meet in a pub car park with no intention of giving the landlord some much needed business then head off and think it`s funny to ride 4 abreast on rural roads and cause havoc!

I am totally fed up with their behaviour !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I would like to agree agree, however certain areas get inundated with them.

I live on the edge of a national park Monday being a bank holiday I was working from a separate base 15 miles away.  I got to work in a little under an hour I came home in 30 minutes.

That is a little bit more than 5 minutes (tbh not all caused by cyclist).

There is a road that leaves my town it might only be 1 mile but it’s a 40mph road with no safe over taking places.  There is a healthy incline frequently it is reduced to 10mph as cyclists do battle with the incline. The tail back can quickly cause back ups into the town, so every time I head west I add 5 minutes on.

You cannot rely on it being only in the holidays, or good weather although both make the situation worse.

We do get commuters on cycles as well as the elderly going for cycles they are less of a problem they generally go slower and try to help you pass (swinging in through a bus stop say).  

Leisure cyclists Groups on race bikes in Lycra generally travel quicker  and further away from the curb making them more difficult to safely pass.

On a side note You do get the same challenge with horse riders. Some will respect other roads users and allow cars to pass from time to time. Others typically in hi-viz waving arms will keep miles of ques behind.  I have one hi viz from time to time on my normal 2 mile 5 minute commute to work suddenly takes 10 plus minutes.

Unless the weather is foul I still take the motorbike because there are enough cyclist that it’s more reliable.

Sadly the only odd satisfaction is when horse riders start complaining about cyclists on or vice versa on social media…