Recommendations for a quieter helmet

Currently changed bikes from Pan European to VFR1200f. With a lower screen, the wind noise in my Shoei QWEST is horrendous. 

looking for a full face helmet with pin lock and internal sun visor. Needs to a lot quieter than my current helmet. 

Any recommendations?

It's a very subjective question depends on you the bike and the fit so no hard and fast rule. For me it's the Scorpion exo 1400 carbon Air, super light comes with  a pinlock insert as I think they all should a clear and smoked visor and the cheeks can be pumped up for a good fit with a little air pump in the chin. Premium feel inside and well priced. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/382189

• Like 1

My Shoei GT air 2 is fairly quiet but I have found that most of the noise is due to buffeting from the bikes screen so that may be worth looking at before parting with the hard earned

• Like 1

Like the others have said it's not an easy question. What will work for one will not work for another. Depends on your height, the bike, the screen and all the other aerodynamic factors. My shark skwal is quiet on some bikes and whistles on others which is bloody irritating. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I would look at screen, have you tried without screen, this will stop it hitting you in the lid if it's the height of screen that's an issue,. 

Would agree there another option would be one of these:
these.

It is personal thing I have HJC modular and it works for me.

However I think truly quite helmets are like comfortable motorbike seats are a bit like the search for the perfect woman.  

There will always be a better more expensive model next season 🤪 .

Wear ear plugs is the simple answer here 

And IMO everyone should be wearing ear plugs as long term damage to your hearing will happen and listening to the sea or ringing all the time is no fun! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wear ear plugs is the simple answer here 

And IMO everyone should be wearing ear plugs as long term damage to your hearing will happen and listening to the sea or ringing all the time is no fun! 

Spot on

• Like 1

Change your screen. 

You can try this out for free: when you're riding down some bit of straight road, keep looking straight ahead while you move your head slowly up and then down. If you can find a quieter spot, then a new screen will probably help. Where the quiet spot is will tell you roughly how much taller or shorter you need the screen to be.

Use ear plugs, and if it's still too noisy, try a helmet windjammer. 

• Like 2

Recommendations would be subjective,  what's right for one person aint gonna be right for the next!  I personally found my Shoei Neotec to be one of the quietest helmets I've ever owned.  That said, on longer runs I still use ear plugs.  I've toyed with larger screens, but you end up with something that looks like a riot shield bolted to the front of your bike.  I found small sports screens work best for me,  wind hits me in the chest and I'm ok with that.

Edited by manxie49

Much depends where the noise is being generated. As said above, looking at the screen may yield more results than changing helmets.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro and it is quieter than many other helmets. But I also use a Caberg Duke 2 and with a scarf wrapped around the bottom of the helmet it is just as quiet as the C3 Pro. I always wear ear plugs whichever helmet I wear. Again, having tried many types of plugs you will find ones that suit you most. My favourites are the EGGZ for comfort and noise reduction.

On 27/12/2022 at 17:50, MikeHorton said:

It's a very subjective question depends on you the bike and the fit so no hard and fast rule. For me it's the Scorpion exo 1400 carbon Air, super light comes with  a pinlock insert as I think they all should a clear and smoked visor and the cheeks can be pumped up for a good fit with a little air pump in the chin. Premium feel inside and well priced. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/382189

Second this. Excellent helmet at a very reasonable price.

• Like 1