Recommend me a book.

So we are on holiday partner daughter and me.

Plan  to sit in field with dogs and read books...

Not the most adventures holiday, just relax time.

I have read the one they selected for me, the finishing the ones they independent choose (kind of hoping they don't finish them).

IMG_20230723_183437_MP.thumb.jpg.d1ed9a02ee53b7da0e38f549af10b377.jpg

I have Kindle App so can download the one I want...

However the selection is rather large.  Preference humorous travel, however open to ideas...

• Haha 1

Spike Milligans Adolf Hitler and my part in his downfall and the following series if you get time. It has humour, travel, tragedy and a lot of langauge that will offend the younger generation. 

Touching the void by Joe Simpson is very good also.

Edited by Old-codger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Old-codger said:

Spike Milligans Adolf Hitler and my part in his downfall and the following series if you get time. It has humour, travel, tragedy and a lot of langauge that will offend the younger generation. 

I'm not sure if it's in that book, but the story of Harry Seacombe and the cannon had me chuckling...

He first met Spike Milligan in Tunisia. Milligan's artillery battery had a larger calibre artillery piece that was too big for the gun pits that Secombe's unit's cannon had used. The rest of Secombe's battery had already moved and he was with the last elements in some tents at the foot of a cliff below their former position. The officers in Milligan's battery had not bothered to enlarge the pits. When Spike's cannon fired its first shell, the recoil drove the gun up out of the pit and over the cliff. Secombe recalled that when the weapon fell outside the tent, he and his mates thought, "My God! They're throwing cannons at us!" A moment later, the flap of his tent opened and Spike poked his head in and said in his Eccles' voice, "Has anyone seen a gun?" Secombe replied "What colour?".

3 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I'm not sure if it's in that book, but the story of Harry Seacombe and the cannon had me chuckling...

He first met Spike Milligan in Tunisia. Milligan's artillery battery had a larger calibre artillery piece that was too big for the gun pits that Secombe's unit's cannon had used. The rest of Secombe's battery had already moved and he was with the last elements in some tents at the foot of a cliff below their former position. The officers in Milligan's battery had not bothered to enlarge the pits. When Spike's cannon fired its first shell, the recoil drove the gun up out of the pit and over the cliff. Secombe recalled that when the weapon fell outside the tent, he and his mates thought, "My God! They're throwing cannons at us!" A moment later, the flap of his tent opened and Spike poked his head in and said in his Eccles' voice, "Has anyone seen a gun?" Secombe replied "What colour?".

That sounds like "Rommel Gunner who" or "Mussolini his part in my downfall" both are brilliantly funny and sad books but a must read.

• Like 3

Not a humorous book, but another vote for Joe Simpson’s book, Touching the Void. 

On a lighter note, Tony Hawks’ book, Around Ireland with a Fridge gets a vote as does Dave Gorman’s  Googlewhack. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

Chris van Tulleken

Ultra-Processed People: Why Do We All Eat Stuff That Isn’t Food … and Why Can’t We Stop?

NHS doctor & researcher about all the weird stuff in food. Interesting read. If you start reading labels you start to see how similar almost all foods are. 

Doesn't try to dissuade you from eating processed food, just interesting research. 

28 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Not a humorous book, but another vote for Joe Simpson’s book, Touching the Void. 

On a lighter note, Tony Hawks’ book, Around Ireland with a Fridge gets a vote as does Dave Gorman’s  Googlewhack. 

Incidentally, a few years ago I attended a talk by Simon Yates - you’ll know who he is if you’ve read the book or watched the film. Only towards the end of the talk did he, light heartedly, refer to Joe Simpson as “the accident prone guy”. Seems fair enough description having read other Joe Simpson books… 😁

@Mickly - These are the days that must happen to you.

second hand copy on order for when I get home for 1/3 the price, me being tight fisted,

@Old-codger Adulf hitler my part in his down fall.

read the sample bought now reading.

@husoi The Subtle art of not giving a f*ck,

There is nothing subtle about me not giving a fu*k,  read sample and it didn’t work for me…

@Steve_M Touching the Void

A bit heavy for my tastes, on holiday.  Strange you should mention “round Ireland with a fridge”. Read it years ago and most of his others good reads, I would recommend to.

@daveinlim Ultra-Processed People: Why Do We All Eat Stuff That Isn’t Food … and Why Can’t We Stop?

Will keep that in mind, as someone who reacts with artificial sweeteners,  it will be interesting.  Now it becomes a challenge eating out without feeling sick.

@goat Another one for the list.

Some of my recommendations of good reads:

Please don’t end the suggestions, keep them rolling.

PS They havent killed me yet 😃

• Like 2

19 hours ago, onesea said:

@Mickly - These are the days that must happen to you.

second hand copy on order for when I get home for 1/3 the price, me being tight fisted,

@Old-codger Adulf hitler my part in his down fall.

read the sample bought now reading.

@husoi The Subtle art of not giving a f*ck,

There is nothing subtle about me not giving a fu*k,  read sample and it didn’t work for me…

@Steve_M Touching the Void

A bit heavy for my tastes, on holiday.  Strange you should mention “round Ireland with a fridge”. Read it years ago and most of his others good reads, I would recommend to.

@daveinlim Ultra-Processed People: Why Do We All Eat Stuff That Isn’t Food … and Why Can’t We Stop?

Will keep that in mind, as someone who reacts with artificial sweeteners,  it will be interesting.  Now it becomes a challenge eating out without feeling sick.

@goat Another one for the list.

Some of my recommendations of good reads:

Please don’t end the suggestions, keep them rolling.

PS They havent killed me yet 😃

Let me know what you think of it.

10 hours ago, Fender1515 said:

OK, so

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 

Defo a milligan book but for me Puckcoon

Marvelous Ways

The keeper of Stories

And who would be without the Complete works of Shakespeare 

Have you actually read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? It’s bloody hard work !!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Sorry husoi, it was meant to be Onsea, but I couldn't edit the post. 

Two of his books are titled how to kill 

The one to the left was my daughters book, the one to the right was my other halfs.

They choose the book in the middle for me.

Hence @Bender Sun tzu, "the art of war" is starting to look attractive.

PS One day left and still alive.

Edited by onesea
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mickly said:

Have you actually read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? It’s bloody hard work !!

It's an overhyped load of shite !  Don't waste your time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

King James Bible, translation of the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, the Torah and for a real rib-tickler, the Book of Mormon.

The KJV has some gems though. When King Abimelech looked out of his window and spotted Isaac and Rebecca making out the translators put it into English as they were  "sporting". 

Later versions simply say they were making love, I think the KJV is more fun. 

• Like 2