Nob of the Day.......

Tango

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

get it with the M3 aswell, kids in Fiesta STs and the like tailgating me.

I once got challenged to a race by someone in a golf. I just shook my head and gave them the "what?" gesture with my hands.  I was driving a 20 year old diesel astra estate :scratch:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Fair enough , but if the bike in question has a pillion you need to get out of there fast . Bike jacking is real and you don't want to stick around to find out . 

Ah sorry, good point , not even considered that.

• Like 1

Northumberland County Council social services. 6 months ago I started the process of trying to get some support for my very elderly, partially sighted and deaf parents. Come home and discover that my mother is now ill enough to be getting weekly home visits from her GP, can't sleep lying down and spends virtually 24 hours a day in a chair. My dad has a leg injury which requires regular dressing by the district nurse. They didn't tell me when I was away as they didn't want to cause me worry. However the social services have done sweet FA and none of the things promised in February have materialised. Not happy at all.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Northumberland County Council social services. 6 months ago I started the process of trying to get some support for my very elderly, partially sighted and deaf parents. Come home and discover that my mother is now ill enough to be getting weekly home visits from her GP, can't sleep lying down and spends virtually 24 hours a day in a chair. My dad has a leg injury which requires regular dressing by the district nurse. They didn't tell me when I was away as they didn't want to cause me worry. However the social services have done sweet FA and none of the things promised in February have materialised. Not happy at all.

Sorry to hear that. My mum has dementia she went into hospital last April walking and came out the end of May bed bound and still is today. You need to keep onto the social workers re a package of care which will be needed. District nurses and Dr should be able to sort this too. Best way to resolve is complaints to council or pals if it's the NHS. If you need anything pm me this is my wife's area of expertise. We have a good setup of care and support but we really had to fight for it. 

• Thanks 1

Turns out the nob of the day is actually my mother.  When asked to confirm what she actually needed at the beginning of May told social services she was fine and she and dad were coping well. Aaaggghhh!

Locally GP surgery and social services don't really connect as far as I can see but after emails exchanged this morning we are now back in the mix for care and mother has been quashed, at least for a bit.

• Like 2

My Wife's Grandpa did the same thing. Every time he had an assessment he would make out he was absolutely fine and could do everything himself when in truth he was unable to even make himself a cup of tea without risk of burning. Took a long time to get him to stop acting like he was better than he actually was.

Scary thing is I know I'd probably do the same thing in his situation!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiggie said:

My Wife's Grandpa did the same thing. Every time he had an assessment he would make out he was absolutely fine and could do everything himself when in truth he was unable to even make himself a cup of tea without risk of burning. Took a long time to get him to stop acting like he was better than he actually was.

Scary thing is I know I'd probably do the same thing in his situation!!

Ditto. 

• Like 1

Me. In fact, here's my claim for NOTY.

A nice, calm evening last night so went for a ride. Foamies in each ear. And as I'm still working on ways to reduce the wind noise, I'd bought some soft silicone ear plugs, the kind Boots sell that go in your outer ear, so put these in too.... and it was so quiet and pleasant to be out on the bike. Met a tractor, nice overtake, all safely done and at that point I felt a bit of discomfort in my right ear, and in the space of about a minute it had changed to the kind of pain you get from a wasp sting. Must stop, but now I'm on a bendy bit of road where stopping would be dangerous so on I go for another minute until it straightens out.

Stop, stand down, hop off, helmet off, ear plugs out and - at last the pain subsides.  Looking at the other ear I can see the problem: the silicone has expanded with the heat (or the ear's got smaller, not sure which) and, as there's no room in the helmet for it to expand outward, it expanded into the ear and rammed the foamie down the ear canal. Ah well, I sort it all out, put the ear plugs back in and I carry on. Was a very nice ride.

But then, back home my ears were ringing and it was still a bit painful, so today I went up to the doctors where the nurse squinted into my ear and pronounced the verdict: perforated eardrum. 6 - 8 weeks to heal. If it bleeds or hurts in the meantime, rush to A&E to get it seen to.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

10 minutes ago, bonio said:

Me. In fact, here's my claim for NOTY.

A nice, calm evening last night so went for a ride. Foamies in each ear. And as I'm still working on ways to reduce the wind noise, I'd bought some soft silicone ear plugs, the kind Boots sell that go in your outer ear, so put these in too.... and it was so quiet and pleasant to be out on the bike. Met a tractor, nice overtake, all safely done and at that point I felt a bit of discomfort in my right ear, and in the space of about a minute it had changed to the kind of pain you get from a wasp sting. Must stop, but now I'm on a bendy bit of road where stopping would be dangerous so on I go for another minute until it straightens out.

Stop, stand down, hop off, helmet off, ear plugs out and - at last the pain subsides.  Looking at the other ear I can see the problem: the silicone has expanded with the heat (or the ear's got smaller, not sure which) and, as there's no room in the helmet for it to expand outward, it expanded into the ear and rammed the foamie down the ear canal. Ah well, I sort it all out, put the ear plugs back in and I carry on. Was a very nice ride.

But then, back home my ears were ringing and it was still a bit painful, so today I went up to the doctors where the nurse squinted into my ear and pronounced the verdict: perforated eardrum. 6 - 8 weeks to heal. If it bleeds or hurts in the meantime, rush to A&E to get it seen to.

When I burst my ear drum and it bled they just said clean it up don't poke anything down it and it will fix itself adios. 

Thing is now when I get a head cold that same ear very often becomes infected and sore, something it never did before, that was prob best part 25yrs ago, just thought I chear you up 😂 

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Turns out the nob of the day is actually my mother.  When asked to confirm what she actually needed at the beginning of May told social services she was fine and she and dad were coping well. Aaaggghhh!

Locally GP surgery and social services don't really connect as far as I can see but after emails exchanged this morning we are now back in the mix for care and mother has been quashed, at least for a bit.

Glad things are moving in the right direction. Caring for your parents is v stressful and draining sometimes. I'm there everyday normally at least twice a day, can cause a fee issues with siblings, I had a big blow up the other day with them. They go for 10 minutes and sort stuff and go. All she wants sometimes is just to chat  and stimulate her mind. 

33 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Glad things are moving in the right direction. Caring for your parents is v stressful and draining sometimes. I'm there everyday normally at least twice a day, can cause a fee issues with siblings, I had a big blow up the other day with them. They go for 10 minutes and sort stuff and go. All she wants sometimes is just to chat  and stimulate her mind. 

I've got 2 brothers who do care but one lives in Houston and the other in Munich. Add in me being away for months at a time and a disproportionate load gets put on my wife and daughter who live in the south of England rather than Northumberland.

• Sad 1

Whoever it was who buried an unused powder fire extinguisher under the garden steps I've been removing with a breaker. Very nearly hit the bloody thing.

4 hours ago, goat said:

Whoever it was who buried an unused powder fire extinguisher under the garden steps I've been removing with a breaker. Very nearly hit the bloody thing.

It would be such fun covering the garden in snow in the middle of a heat wave. 😁

• Haha 1

Me! Put the 500's engine back together today after the remaining bearing journal's arrived. Put top and bottom crankcases together, torqued most of the bolts down, only to spot I had left the chain tensioners on the table. Cue lots of swearing and taking it apart again. Get it all back together correctly fitting the clutch and this happens

IMG_20220805_203756.jpg

• Sad 5

Me yesterday. Breaker got stuck. 45 minutes of trying to free it with every tool I could find before I realised all I had to do was take the breaker off the stuck bit and put the other bit on and work round it. 5 minutes later is was out. Turned out it had gone through a piece of wood someone had concreted in and got stuck in it.

The c**t in a white car who deliberately matched my speed and forced me to stop right at the end of an on ramp on the A46 . Then they speeded up and went recklessly zig zagging through the traffic . C**t ! 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, fastbob said:

The c**t in a white car who deliberately matched my speed and forced me to stop right at the end of an on ramp on the A46 . Then they speeded up and went recklessly zig zagging through the traffic . C**t ! 

They are out there just waiting for the insurance to sort this one out ot deliberately swiped on the motorway van then just made off! 

IMG_20220805_165834.jpg

On 05/08/2022 at 20:44, billy sugger said:

Me! Put the 500's engine back together today after the remaining bearing journal's arrived. Put top and bottom crankcases together, torqued most of the bolts down, only to spot I had left the chain tensioners on the table. Cue lots of swearing and taking it apart again. Get it all back together correctly fitting the clutch and this happens

IMG_20220805_203756.jpg

Gorilla Glue and a bit of bodge tape will sort that - It will make an interesting plant stand!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Not a very good scam if they do a runner and don't claim against you? 

No just an angry man in a van nearly took out an aygo he overtook then undertook us. Wife said he was doing the usual shouting and swearing as he undertook. He was in a curtain side sprinter box van just dinked the corner of his van. I was coming off m5 onto m6 its 2 lanes dedicated for different routes and towing I can't work out what his problem was main thing is we're OK and he's still a nob! 

• Like 2