Nob of the Day.......

Tango

Two from yesterday.

The very large van that tried to do a three point turn on a blind bend on the A49. A very stupid decision.

Then the coach that tried to go down the very narrow road into Barmouth and met a bus coming the other way. This totally blocked the road causing a very long tailback. 

I filtered past and then got to a section which was double white lines with no space to squeeze through. However since the traffic was stationary with engines off I figured I was clear to use the other side of the road and managed to get right behind the coach which was jammed between the bus and a wall. 

When they eventually managed to work it out I got past and found a gang of bikes on the far side who had given up and parked their bikes, removed their helmets and we're having a road party. They saw me squeezing through and thought it very hilarious. 

At this stage I was running on fumes as the planned petrol stop ten miles back had been out of petrol. Then I discovered there are no petrol stations in Barmouth. The nearest is 5 miles north and was a very welcome sight. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My almost nob of the day yesterday was a wide load that decided to turn the A1 northbound into a single lane road all the way from the top of the Bowes Incline to Team Valley and that road's a nightmare currently as is.

Watch out if you ever go south on a19 anywhere approaching a busy time, the Moor Farm roundabout at end of spine road,  in an attempt to clear traffic heading west they've reduced the lights eastbound to 8 seconds that's 4 cars or one artic,  it's absolutely mental. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Watch out if you ever go south on a19 anywhere approaching a busy time, the Moor Farm roundabout at end of spine road,  in an attempt to clear traffic heading west they've reduced the lights eastbound to 8 seconds that's 4 cars or one artic,  it's absolutely mental. 

Given up using the spine road and a19 ever since they made the Tyne Tunnel payment system impossible to use.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Given up using the spine road and a19 ever since they made the Tyne Tunnel payment system impossible to use.

It's easy if you set up an account,  I've had no issues 😁 it's prob best avoided till they sort out moor farm tho it's a mare

Just now, Bender said:

It's easy if you set up an account,  I've had no issues 😁 it's prob best avoided till they sort out moor farm tho it's a mare

Not really worthwhile for me to set up an account as I'd use it so rarely. Linked card would probably expire between use. As I'm usually going to Morpeth from Barnard Castle and back in decent weather I use the A68.

• Like 1

The idiot that pulled out in front of me and a bloke on a pannierered up BMW, on the A5, and we were doing 60. At a roundabout at the start of the A4616 we stopped at traffic lights BMW rider pulled up beside nobhead and had a quiet word, along the lines "do you make a habit of pulling out in front of two bikes doing 60? Didn't hear the response

8 hours ago, billy sugger said:

The idiot that pulled out in front of me and a bloke on a pannierered up BMW, on the A5, and we were doing 60. At a roundabout at the start of the A4616 we stopped at traffic lights BMW rider pulled up beside nobhead and had a quiet word, along the lines "do you make a habit of pulling out in front of two bikes doing 60? Didn't hear the response

You probably didn't hear a response because it's quite hard to talk with a wing mirror stuck in your mouth. 

• Haha 2

All wasps are nobs but the one that stung me on the neck when I was riding my bike on Sunday was especially a nob . I had to pull over quick and get my jacket off in a hurry . The rotten thing fell to the floor and just wandered around in a circle . The sting and half its giblets were still pumping venom into my neck so I didn't bother to stamp on it . Later on I happened upon a MacDonalds so I enquired as whether they had any vinegar to put on the throbbing sting . I'm sure the girl meant well but when she presented me with a large sachet of Balsamic Dressing I realized that my request had been rather optimistic . 🐝

• Haha 1

And another one . The nob in Tamworth around six o'clock on the black Soft Tail with Apes . It's one thing wearing nothing but a black Tupperware bowl on your ugly bonce  but parking yourself forty feet beyond the traffic lights and sitting there gunning your engine is impressing nobody . Embarrassing ! 

43 minutes ago, fastbob said:

All wasps are nobs but the one that stung me on the neck when I was riding my bike on Sunday was especially a nob . I had to pull over quick and get my jacket off in a hurry . The rotten thing fell to the floor and just wandered around in a circle . The sting and half its giblets were still pumping venom into my neck so I didn't bother to stamp on it . Later on I happened upon a MacDonalds so I enquired as whether they had any vinegar to put on the throbbing sting . I'm sure the girl meant well but when she presented me with a large sachet of Balsamic Dressing I realized that my request had been rather optimistic . 🐝

Sounds like a bee then, rather than a wasp. Bee stings are barbed, wasps aren't. A bee dies when it stings you so will only do so as a last resort. Wasps sting just for fun because they can get away with it.

For future reference, never try to pull a sting out, you'll just squeeze the venom sac and inject more sting. The best method is to scrape a nail across the sting so it is pulled out without pressure on the venom sac. 

Bees can't see black very well so they get disoriented around black objects which doesn't help. 

38 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Sounds like a bee then, rather than a wasp. Bee stings are barbed, wasps aren't. A bee dies when it stings you so will only do so as a last resort. Wasps sting just for fun because they can get away with it.

For future reference, never try to pull a sting out, you'll just squeeze the venom sac and inject more sting. The best method is to scrape a nail across the sting so it is pulled out without pressure on the venom sac. 

Bees can't see black very well so they get disoriented around black objects which doesn't help. 

Until this happend I'd have been inclined to agree with all of that . However , it was definitely a wasp and it definitely left it's sting in me . I did brush the sting off but it's left a nasty lump ..

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I made the mistake of removing a bee sting from my wife's leg the wrong way about 25 years ago. She still reminds me of it.

I think I will nominate me, several days ago it seems I put my bike in the garage. Steering lock on, turned the key to far parking lights on 😖

Battery as flat as…. Managed jump start it and an hours ride with no stalls it started after the ride, so fingers crossed for battery 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Like 1

On 31/08/2022 at 19:37, onesea said:

I think I will nominate me, several days ago it seems I put my bike in the garage. Steering lock on, turned the key to far parking lights on 😖

Battery as flat as…. Managed jump start it and an hours ride with no stalls it started after the ride, so fingers crossed for battery 🤞🤞🤞🤞

I did this on a previous bike. Bought a new bike, got it during a bright summer's day  Didn't have parking lights before. Locked up the bike, turned the key and left the bike sitting for a few days as I was away. Came home to a dead battery. Had to get the AA to jump it. Rode about for an hour. Never had an issue after 

Absolute classic today - involving a roundabout on a dual carriageway, two drivers of small cars who were already showing signs of panic because there was a motorbike behind them - and a police car with its lights and siren on.

I got out of the way and let the police car through. The two cars in front hadn't spotted it until the last minute. They were level with each other coming off the roundabout, one in the inside lane, the other in the outside lane.

The one in the inside lane pulled to the right. The one in the outside lane pulled to the left. They met in the middle.

And the absolute nob of the day was me 'cos I'd forgotten to switch my helmet camera on.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Me. Sitting here wondering when the courier will deliver my new mirrors, so though I would check the order status on SBS. The bloody order had not gone through fully, a c**k up on my part, so they had not been ordered. Just redone it so will now get them tomorrow 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Me. Sitting here wondering when the courier will deliver my new mirrors, so though I would check the order status on SBS. The bloody order had not gone through fully, a c**k up on my part, so they had not been ordered. Just redone it so will now get them tomorrow 

I hope you used the bloody link on the forum :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

My Nob of the Day goes to James in Brum . Yes , a fellow member although not currently active . And before there's an outcry I'm sure he will take this in good spirit . Right then . You know that reserve fuel line that you replaced on the ER5 ? The big chunky one that was about three inches too long ? The big chunky one that you folded in half to make it fit under the side panel ? Folded it in half thus preventing any fuel from flowing when the bike goes onto reserve . Yes that one . The one that's been doing my head in for weeks . Nob ! 😁

yep it will probably have a kink in it somewhere now

• 2 weeks later...

I'm voting Virgin Media (to be fair, they aren't just daily nobs but year round ones :roll:)

Cancelled my phone contract with them on the 10th of June. It was a monthly rolling one so no issues with doing that. I cancelled my direct debit with them after the last payment as I normally do (I don't trust companies not to "accidentally" keep taking money!) I got a letter at the weekend to say my mobile services are being suspended as I haven't paid my bill in 3 months. No shit I haven't paid for a service I cancelled! :scratch:

Currently at 18 minutes on hold as they are very busy apparently :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1