What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

Not a wet clutch !!

Made the mistake of using standard car 10/40 Castrol in the Trophy, leading to mucho clutch slip ... at least that’s what I’m hoping once I can afford to get it all together.

Oh it's a wet clutch alright . The clutch and gearbox run in a separate oil bath . 

IMG_20210506_185510849.jpg

31 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Oh it's a wet clutch alright . The clutch and gearbox run in a separate oil bath . 

IMG_20210506_185510849.jpg

Gercha! 😁

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

I was thinking of changing the oils on the Harley  today  but the rain never let up long enough . If anyone thinks Harleys are expensive to maintain , think again . I'll be using Wilkinson's 20/50 Mineral Oil at £16 for 4 liters in the tank . I've done my research and that's more than adequate in such a simple engine . 

It's a shame people don't research oil but instead they just buy the most expensive thinking it's the best to have! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stu said:

It's a shame people don't research oil but instead they just buy the most expensive thinking it's the best to have! 

I am currently using Halfords 10w/40 in Xena and Bridget and is perfectly fine, not the cheapest £30 for 5L but that is only approx £6 per oil change so not too bad :thumb:

Should have said it is Part Synthetic.

Edited by dynax
additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

I wouldn’t know where to start with researching oil. I don’t understand it and suspect I would risk getting it wrong if I did not just buy the Castrol stuff in Halfords.

Just keep using decent 10/40 BIKE oil in your bike James . You have about  ten times more  moving parts than I do . 

washed mine, rinsed it and half heartedly dried it off:classic_biggrin:

It's not gleaming and shiny but at least I've got the road crud off.

Had it running but no time to ride it today I'm working again later :crybaby:

On the subject of engine oil it seems odd to quibble over the price of a few litres of oil when in many cases a bike costs many thousands of pounds. Personally I use what the manufacturer recommends.

3 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

On the subject of engine oil it seems odd to quibble over the price of a few litres of oil when in many cases a bike costs many thousands of pounds. Personally I use what the manufacturer recommends.

I use what the manufacturer recommends I just don't pay over the odds for the same stuff ;-)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Westerly said:

That's fair enough. 

Too many people get hung up on price and brands and the marketing hype 

• Haha 1

I buy motorcycle oil of grade recommended.

I do shop around in the month or so before. I have found I can buy on offer a premium brand for price of the cheap stuff. 

Not really saving money but hopefully better for my bikes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

The manufacturer is Harley Davidson . Guess what oil they recommend ? 

7 minutes ago, dynax said:

Had a viewing for the CG and got an offer so will see what comes of it if a deal can be struck :thumb:

Well done Mike hope you can get something sorted that all parties are happy with.

Hey! if you give them an extra tenner they might take the Chinese wan as well lol.:classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Well done Mike hope you can get something sorted that all parties are happy with.

Hey! if you give them an extra tenner they might take the Chinese wan as well lol.:classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Ian

No sale, I came down plenty but the other party didn't budge so there we have it :thumb:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dynax said:

No sale, I came down plenty but the other party didn't budge so there we have it :thumb:

What was they offering? 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

What was they offering? 

£900 and I came down to £1100 which I think is a fair price, but no negotiating on their part.

1 minute ago, dynax said:

£900 and I came down to £1100 which I think is a fair price, but no negotiating on their part.

Their loss mate I would hold out! 

I have just found it and shared it in a few local groups :thumb: 

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

Their loss mate I would hold out! 

I have just found it and shared it in a few local groups :thumb: 

True.

Thanks Stu appreciated :thumb:

Anyone else care to share it on facebook then here is the link 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/915093092571541/ 

Alternatively share this one for a shameless plug to the forum :lol: 

https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/forum/topic/37357-for-sale-honda-cg125m1/?tab=comments#comment-556909

• Haha 1

I rode it!

Had to go to Ipswich for a second jab of vaccine or placebo - don't know what. Zoomed down the A12 to get there as the staff were waiting in for me, but had a good ride back on the twisty roads via Framlingham. The roads were in great condition - all the crud of winter's gone - so a cracking ride.

Loads of bikes out.  

• Like 5