What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

3 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Yeh he coated everything that wasn’t rubber, essentially. Apparently gives it a hydrophobic coating too. Not sure how true that is, but the dealerships flogged it to me when I was at my most vulnerable - post purchase, pre-pickup. 🤣

OK which coating did they use? Very few will use a proper ceramic product as the work involved are mostly applied by valeting companies that machine polish the paintwork to remove any swirls in the paint prior to application of the coating.

3 hours ago, Joe85 said:

The dealerships flogged it to me when I was at my most vulnerable - post purchase, pre-pickup. 🤣

Wish they'd got me. Whenever I wash it I get a little bit sad at the grime left sticking to all the hard-to-reach places.

• Like 1

Still got a slight leak of coolant, I have an idea of where from so not a major issue just need to strip it all down again.

I used the rtv gasket maker stuff but as it is quite runny it tends to run down as the seal is on a vertical plain not horizontal, it also starts to cure very quickly so some of it could have hardened before I got it seated properly, I should have used the other silicone I have but thought no I would use the gasket maker, oh well live and learn :thumb:

Just as I suspected the sealant had run down but it also caused the seal not to compress properly and was on a skew to the mating washer, anyway stripped and cleaned it all again, used silicone sealant this time and made sure the spring compressed evenly, will leave it for a couple of hours before refilling with coolant.

Got plenty of coolant now as I have recycled it and filtered it with a paper coffee filter, too expensive to waste every time I drained the pump :thumb:

57 minutes ago, dynax said:

Just as I suspected the sealant had run down but it also caused the seal not to compress properly and was on a skew to the mating washer, anyway stripped and cleaned it all again, used silicone sealant this time and made sure the spring compressed evenly, will leave it for a couple of hours before refilling with coolant.

Got plenty of coolant now as I have recycled it and filtered it with a paper coffee filter, too expensive to waste every time I drained the pump :thumb:

Silicone ought to do the job better. When I used to rebuild the chain drive Vauxhall engines used in Corsa and Astras the three way joint between the block, cylinder head and water pump always needed a bead of silicone. It was actually a Suzuki designed engine.

• Like 1

Just taken the impeller off again as it's still dripping, everything looks fine, the only other thing I can think of is coolant getting behind the seal on the impeller itself, so after dinner will take that off and apply a smear of silicone a reseat it :thumb:

Just reseated the ceramic washer that fits on the impeller but looking at it, it looks slightly uneven do these need to bed in at all to be totally sealed, which would account for the slight drip rather than the continuous stream :thumb:

• Like 1

Fitted it all back together refilled with coolant, still a drip but not as much as before, the ceramic washers are definitely not flat checked with a new stanley blade across it, there are some really tiny gaps, I did however turn the bike over ( removed plug lead ) a couple of times before filling with coolant just to see if that will help to bed in.

There is nothing else I can think of so I guess i will just have to keep an eye on it and make sure I have some coolant with me when I am out to top it up if needed :thumb:

15 hours ago, Fish said:

OK which coating did they use? Very few will use a proper ceramic product as the work involved are mostly applied by valeting companies that machine polish the paintwork to remove any swirls in the paint prior to application of the coating.

This stuff

https://www.supershieldauto.co.uk/lifeproof

Took about 7 hours in total, a few of them was spent polishing and removing paintwork swirls.

Doing some googling and apparently they can take a good few miles to bed in, so going to take her out for a run tomorrow and see how she is.

Just recycling some more coolant so I can take it with me just in case :lol:

Been out and about locally on Xena for a couple of hours, will check her fluid levels after a coffee then will be out for a longer run later this evening :thumb:

I did nothing but my son in law took it for its mot which it passed without advisories. However the lad noticed a weep on one of the forks and the brakes do need attention so being the star he is is sorting the forks and changing my pads. Winner I'd say and saves me having to either do it myself  (not keen) or having a workshop do it.

• Like 2

No change in fluid levels, and the drips seem to have slowed down quite a lot and occasionally seem to stop altogether for 30 seconds or so then just a small release of fluid then the odd drip a few seconds later and then stops again. Hoping this is a sign of it bedding in and doing it's job properly :thumb:

• Like 1

Just got back home after having a ride to Scunthorpe to see a mate, checked water in radiator before I left and that was full but I didn't check the expansion tank, anyway just checked the expansion tank and that is down by about 50ml, haven't checked the radiator yet though will do that in the morning and see how that is :thumb:

1 minute ago, dynax said:

The radiator is full so just topped up the expansion tank, will be out again later for a run so will see how that goes :thumb:

The expansion tank will fill the rad so any loss will be noticed in the expansion tank 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

The expansion tank will fill the rad so any loss will be noticed in the expansion tank 

Thanks Stu, that's what I figured but wasn't too sure :thumb:

• Like 1

It started pissing out again, stripped it all down again and cleaned everything, this time though I put some of the rtv gasket maker on to some paper and left it for 5 minutes till it started to cure then covered everything to be sealed using a cocktail stick, applied it to the bellows and put some inside the housing, refitted the impeller and left it till the rtv had cured using the stuff on the paper as a guide.

So far so good there are no leaks at all, going to leave it 10 mins to cool down then will run again back up to temp.

Hopefully this should be it :thumb:

• Like 1

Went to get some shopping no apparent leaks after getting home, had some dinner and just been out again to run her up to temperature and we are still leak free.

I can feel a bouncy boobs moment coming :lol:

:yay::yay::yay:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dynax said:

Just been out for another blast down some NSL roads and back through town in the traffic, and we are still dry and leak free :yay:

you've just made the very first tena lady for motorcycles :cheers:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pie man said:

you've just made the very first tena lady for motorcycles :cheers:

I did have some ready just in case :lol:

Going out again later for another test ride :thumb:

• Like 1