What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Got a new chain for when I am out and about to replace one where the plastic casing cracked apart and it would be easy to get snips into the cables inside. Went for the Bennets recommended Milenco Coleraine 12mm chain and it is HUGE! For portable it would have better going for the 9mm. I was tempted by the larger chain for the price of the smaller because the packaging and chain sleeve was marked. Oh, well. It fits in the top box and it will mean I have the biggest f**k off chain at the motorcycle parking bays.

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Yep I’m sure. I’m not a panicky person by any stretch of the imagination. Yes its an aftermarket Datatool alarm that the previous owner had fitted. Will definitely remove it but not til the insurance is up cos I don’t want to invalidate my insurance or pay them for the privilege of altering my policy, you know what they’re like. 

My TDM has Datatool, however the advice I have been given is leave it alone until it goes wrong removing them can be worse.. it’s also the bike I tend to abandon in town so alarm not bad thing.

Only issue I had was the fobs went flat. it gave no warning just functioned badly light still came on on Fob. Was not obviously the Fob just random stuff going on, changing Fob battery was just a guess and problem went away.

18 minutes ago, onesea said:

My TDM has Datatool, however the advice I have been given is leave it alone until it goes wrong removing them can be worse.. it’s also the bike I tend to abandon in town so alarm not bad thing.

Only issue I had was the fobs went flat. it gave no warning just functioned badly light still came on on Fob. Was not obviously the Fob just random stuff going on, changing Fob battery was just a guess and problem went away.

I don’t really see how removing it can be worse? 
Might be worth replacing the battery. 

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I don’t really see how removing it can be worse? 
Might be worth replacing the battery. 

If they are installed properly then the wiring goes deep into the bike's loom. But you don't really need to remove it all. Just disable the immobilizer then cut the power feed to the alarm unit. Leave the rest of the wiring in place.

I have a Datatool on the CBF but no idea what the owner's bypass code is because I bought the bike used from a dealer. So long as it works I'll leave it in place as it's the bike I use for work so it gets left anywhere. The only snag is the alarm drains the battery quite quickly so it is on a charger when not in use.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If they are installed properly then the wiring goes deep into the bike's loom. But you don't really need to remove it all. Just disable the immobilizer then cut the power feed to the alarm unit. Leave the rest of the wiring in place.

I have a Datatool on the CBF but no idea what the owner's bypass code is because I bought the bike used from a dealer. So long as it works I'll leave it in place as it's the bike I use for work so it gets left anywhere. The only snag is the alarm drains the battery quite quickly so it is on a charger when not in use.

Thanks. It’s always on an optimate charger when not it use. The owners bypass code, a code to disable the whole thing? I have all the paperwork for the bike, receipt, alarm stuff etc so I guess it’ll be in there somewhere. 

43 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Thanks. It’s always on an optimate charger when not it use. 

I have no power in garage can say battery on TDM last about 2 weeks. So have old car battery on standby if required (?15 day isolation 😒).

I would leave bike of charge for a week or so regardless. 

Only charging on optimate for day or 2 over charged batteries get lazy. Over charged batteries can suddenly not hold enough amps to start the bike, with little warning.

Chatting with recovery when I had a puncture, he reconed that was second biggest cause of call outs to a puncture.

I know some will disagree, without alarm I have left my bikes for over 2 months (work reasons) and they have started. I would rather know my bike will start after a week than risk flat battery on the road.

10 minutes ago, onesea said:

I have no power in garage can say battery on TDM last about 2 weeks. So have old car battery on standby if required (?15 day isolation 😒).

I would leave bike of charge for a week or so regardless. 

Only charging on optimate for day or 2 over charged batteries get lazy. Over charged batteries can suddenly not hold enough amps to start the bike, with little warning.

Chatting with recovery when I had a puncture, he reconed that was second biggest cause of call outs to a puncture.

I know some will disagree, without alarm I have left my bikes for over 2 months (work reasons) and they have started. I would rather know my bike will start after a week than risk flat battery on the road.

Well it’s a bit of a hot potato the battery charger one isn’t it with some strongly held beliefs on both sides.

The latest iterations supposedly take into account the “lazy” thing and allow discharging for a significant length of time before recharging in a pattern that gives the battery it’s longest possible life- so they say. I use them on every bike, time will tell if this is a mistake! 

One of my bikes has an alarm and a tracker and that seems to suck the life out of the battery. 

The bypass code is probably better described as a reset code. It allows the owner to disable the alarm should the fob fail or the bike's battery go flat. I'd need to check the manual which is in the garage. I just make sure neither happens.

I use CTEK charging leads with LED battery monitors built in to the connector. If I don't use a charger the lights go from green to yellow within three days, two in the winter. It takes a lot longer to drop to red but I prefer to keep batteries fully topped up.

The only issue I've ever had is small a battery in a 125 that probably got overcharged over time. But that was on all winter

I use a 0.8A bike specific charger on the Bobber connected 24/7. My other one is a 5A bike/ car charger which I use on a timer to be on two hours a day on the bike setting.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2021 at 13:01, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Made a start on fitting the tail tidy. Due to me being a Muppet and ordering the version without a clear lower section to illuminate the number plate I'm waiting for a new lens before I can complete the job.

Also, being a man I hadn't read the instructions of course. So the bit where you have to take Dremel and cut off the horrible plastic bit that holds the original number plate light was a joy. Best bit of job was seeing that monstrosity chopped off.

IMG_20210118_115109379.jpg

IMG_20210118_115120389.jpg

Missed this. Is there a before n after pic?

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

its been dismal here all week and supposed to be really cold tomorrow 🤨

Well I suppose I best carry on with the decorating then!! 

7 minutes ago, onesea said:

So when I get to freedom can I actually go for a ride?  Or is that against rules still?

Yup against the rules! 

But work the long way sounds good! 

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yup against the rules! 

But work the long way sounds good! 

Even that's a challenge working from other sites has been stopped for now.

I don't know how far I can stretch a mile.

Just now, onesea said:

Even that's a challenge working from other sites has been stopped for now.

I don't know how far I can stretch a mile.

Hmm yeah that is a bit crap!

I can at least go a long way round that doesn't seem too abnormal and have some decent roads to ride! 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Hmm yeah that is a bit crap!

I can at least go a long way round that doesn't seem too abnormal and have some decent roads to ride! 

I do a it of detour but my excuse for that is to charge battery, bikes normally ok but the car really struggles.
In the winter I take the long way home in the car to dry it out and charge battery. The drive is so short the heater never kicks in, so it’s warmer and dryer on the bike as you have warm coat on and the windscreen and sunroof are not dripping on you.

Until work stopped us being at other sites I could just say I was of to other site.

1 minute ago, onesea said:

I do a it of detour but my excuse for that is to charge battery, bikes normally ok but the car really struggles.
In the winter I take the long way home in the car to dry it out and charge battery. The drive is so short the heater never kicks in, so it’s warmer and dryer on the bike as you have warm coat on and the windscreen and sunroof are not dripping on you.

Until work stopped us being at other sites I could just say I was of to other site.

I feel your pain with the car situation! 

I work 4 days a week and on one day I use the bike or bus so for the other 3 days I use the car but because the wife is working at home I have a choice of two cars which means I take the better one which is pretty efficient so doesn't warm up in the short distance and my shitter sits there rotting even more! 

So far 3 times I have had to charge the battery 4 times I have had to pump the tyres up and once I have had to unseize a rear caliper :lol: 

Maybe I should start using mine a bit more! 

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

I feel your pain with the car situation! 

I work 4 days a week and on one day I use the bike or bus so for the other 3 days I use the car but because the wife is working at home I have a choice of two cars which means I take the better one which is pretty efficient so doesn't warm up in the short distance and my shitter sits there rotting even more! 

So far 3 times I have had to charge the battery 4 times I have had to pump the tyres up and once I have had to unseize a rear caliper :lol: 

Maybe I should start using mine a bit more! 

You should get matching cars yes they are both the same year.

Mine has leather heated seats but rear windscreen warmer has been knackered by the dogs...

A PITA when you load the wrong one for the tip. They don't see how it can be done.

It was genuinely not planned...

IMG_20190926_075516_9~2.jpg

Edited by onesea
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, onesea said:

You should get matching cars yes they are both 05 plates.

Mine has leather heated seats but rear windscreen warmer has been knackered by the dogs...

It was genuinely not planned...

IMG_20190926_075516_9~2.jpg

I can't justify getting a better car than what I have for work! I covered less than 1500 miles in 18 months!! 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I can't justify getting a better car than what I have for work! I covered less than 1500 miles in 18 months!! 

The second one was cheaper and older than it's predecessor.

It however has large boot  that can handle the dogs. We also no longer ground out in forest car parks 

The fact they are so similar nearly stopped us buying it. It does create some comical moments.

• Like 1

Took the carbs off the Shadow (again).

can't sync the damn things.

Need to find why 1 of the stupid pistons doesn't want to slide properly 😡