What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

10 hours ago, onesea said:

The second one was cheaper and older than it's predecessor.

It however has large boot  that can handle the dogs. We also no longer ground out in forest car parks 

The fact they are so similar nearly stopped us buying it. It does create some comical moments.

Well, if its what you like, there's nothing wrong with that. A mate of mine in the Western Isles had one of the old X-Trails, same reason, massive hairy dog like a Wookiee so it was perfect.

He's also had a couple of Honda CR-Vs and swears by them.

For us, cos I've got the bike we only need one car, and its almost exclusively used by the Mrs. now for shuttling kids about and shopping. 12-Reg Mondeo which we've had since new, brilliant car.

A cold and frustrating day in the garage. I went to fit the replacement light unit to the tail tidy and all went well until I turned the ignition on. It blew the fuse. 

I then tried the red led unit I bought by mistake. That also blew the fuse.

I refited the original light - works fine. 

Looking at the connectors on the new lights the crimped terminals have been flattened so they are touching between the rear light feed and the earth. I managed to fix one with some solder and heat shrink but the other one fell to bits. Annoyingly the one I need is the one that fell to bits. I tried swapping the internals but they are different so won't fit.

Not a happy bunny.

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A cold and frustrating day in the garage. I went to fit the replacement light unit to the tail tidy and all went well until I turned the ignition on. It blew the fuse. 

I then tried the red led unit I bought by mistake. That also blew the fuse.

I refited the original light - works fine. 

Looking at the connectors on the new lights the crimped terminals have been flattened so they are touching between the rear light feed and the earth. I managed to fix one with some solder and heat shrink but the other one fell to bits. Annoyingly the one I need is the one that fell to bits. I tried swapping the internals but they are different so won't fit.

Not a happy bunny.

Gutted! 

I often find a lot of these lights or aftermarket parts use cheap connectors so it might be best to replace it anyway 

Went out on the bike to buy food. On the way home the infamous Ducati engine warning light came on. Pulled over poked around but nothing obvious. Carried on with bike performing as normal apart from this annoying warning light. Got home and contacted Ducati and apparently it's nothing too awful as long as the engine starts. Apparently its a dodgy sensor somewhere. Ducati dealers are closed for at least another 4-6 weeks but if it gets really bad they'll  recover the bike and try and fix it. Looking on the Internet a common reason for the fault is the sensor in the exhaust system - Euro bloody 4. Anyway I'll try disconnecting the battery etc. but I suspect it'll ultimately need Ducati's  attention.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gutted! 

I often find a lot of these lights or aftermarket parts use cheap connectors so it might be best to replace it anyway 

I found a link to the parts, Japanese Solderless Terminals, the snag is that whilst the bits I need are pennies they charge a stupid handling charge. It was going to cost about £25 to get the bits needed. Hunting on ebay I found someone selling them individually so it's cost me £4.50.

Just frustrating as it will be next week before the connector arrives. 

I don't like crimped connections for this reason. I will solder the replacements.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I don't like crimped connections for this reason. I will solder the replacements.

I have never had a problem with the crimp connectors I buy providing they are quality items and correct tools used all should be well 

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have never had a problem with the crimp connectors I buy providing they are quality items and correct tools used all should be well 

I remember you saying this in previous threads about crimping vs soldering. I've used both and never had an issue with crimped connections. I use a crimping tool and it's worked fine.

In this case the connector is very small and crimping has distorted the terminals - which are designed to be crimped. It's only a tiny amount but the terminals are very close together inside the connector so any deformation means there's a risk of them touching. I know another guy who bought the same unit and his has done the same. So of the three I know of all three have resulted in shorts inside the connector.

• Like 1

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

In this case the connector is very small and crimping has distorted the terminals - which are designed to be crimped. It's only a tiny amount but the terminals are very close together inside the connector so any deformation means there's a risk of them touching.

This is a classic example of crimping it too tight.

I have made that mistake before myself. 

The crimpers are adjustable to release once you get to a certain amount of crimp. 

2 hours ago, Stu said:

This is a classic example of crimping it too tight.

I have made that mistake before myself. 

The crimpers are adjustable to release once you get to a certain amount of crimp. 

Just heard from the manufacturer. He's using thicker wire than Triumph and he said he knew it was at the upper limit of what the connectors could take. So he's sending me two replacements which I will solder because it's where the crimps go over the insulation that they're touching.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just heard from the manufacturer. He's using thicker wire than Triumph and he said he knew it was at the upper limit of what the connectors could take. So he's sending me two replacements which I will solder because it's where the crimps go over the insulation that they're touching.

Hope it gets sorted. i always crimp AND Solder then heatshrink

2005848813_06-cablescripped.JPG.2d3161145cd915b22ce09dcf0f9df0c7.JPG

8 minutes ago, onesea said:

All of these wiring geniuses any volunteers I need 7 or so wires splicing!

What needs doing? Soldering is pretty straightforward so long as you make sure the joints are cleaned and you use a decent flux and solder. 

I usually apply heat shrink using a hot air gun designed to apply heat shrink covering to model aircraft.

I've just got a neat little USB powered iron for those fiddly little joints buried in wiring looms. Runs off a power bank so it's totally portable.

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

What needs doing? Soldering is pretty straightforward so long as you make sure the joints are cleaned and you use a decent flux and solder. 

I usually apply heat shrink using a hot air gun designed to apply heat shrink covering to model aircraft.

I've just got a neat little USB powered iron for those fiddly little joints buried in wiring looms. Runs off a power bank so it's totally portable.

A little rewiring, 7 or so wires.

I believe I have find the good stuff, but with afew short ends I am not brave enough...

Plus my wiring skills are generally limited to badly crimpt connections, Chocolate blocks and changing bulbs.

If some one is really brave I know of a switchboard on a boat that needs some attention. The victim of 40 years of such modifications.

Most where not done by me. Must be a yachty thing.

Edited by onesea

2 minutes ago, onesea said:

A little rewiring, 7 or so wires.

I believe I have find the good stuff, but with afew short ends I am not brave enough...

Plus my wiring skills are generally limited to badly crimpt connections, Chocolate blocks and changing bulbs.

Is this on the bike or is it wiring that can be posted? 

Replaced the clutch lever on the Honda after I dropped it whilst working on it a while back. I was going to try straightening it but a new one was only £5.50.

Also straightened the gear lever which got bent at the same time.

Took all the bits off at the back end and gave the chain and swing arm area a major clean, and put ACF on all the bits that get hammered over the winter. I had a container full of greasy grit by the time I'd finished.

Can't decide whether to fit the cables for heated gloves or just stick with the battery packs.

The snag is that it now looks clean as opposed to its usual state of looking like a farmyard on wheels.

Fitted a new mudguard and removed overspray from the mirrors due to the last owner's attempts at paint spraying the nosecone with cans. Fucks sake. Added a 2 mm washer to my GPS mount to tighten it up as it just spun with the sat nav attached. Fitted Grip Puppies. 

Then it got too cold and I ventured in for a hot cuppa.

Edited by rob m
  • Like 1

Not my bikes, but a miami local I barely know from instagram invited me out for a cigar then let me ride his Zzr1400 last night. 

Then today I hired an mt09 and rode to the keys which was nice. Boring roads though jesus h 😂 Dead straight, no turns at all. 20210123_002953.jpg.854517f76ffd83e4762170a7df140c54.jpg20210123_134537.jpg.908328387dd5b68a67ca6785f14ea8eb.jpg

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Not my bikes, but a miami local I barely know from instagram invited me out for a cigar then let me ride his Zzr1400 last night. 

Then today I hired an mt09 and rode to the keys which was nice. Boring roads though jesus h 😂 Dead straight, no turns at all. 20210123_002953.jpg.854517f76ffd83e4762170a7df140c54.jpg20210123_134537.jpg.908328387dd5b68a67ca6785f14ea8eb.jpg

Most roads as your aware are boring, when you do get twisty roads usually accompanied by forests it usually takes me 10minutes and I'm looking forward to long and boring.

Scenery makes up for it most of the time.