Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

6 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Any caffeine palpitations yet? 😂

Ian. Remember when we'd mix it with pro plus when going a througher at work (24 hrs straight)

Totally illegal nowadays.

Heart rate would be through the roof....lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Ian. Remember when we'd mix it with pro plus when going a througher at work (24 hrs straight)

Totally illegal nowadays.

Heart rate would be through the roof....lol

I tried that once to get a project finished at Uni, Pint of strong coffee and god knows how many ProPlus.  Someone came and checked on me after 20 minutes, later I had just finished coffee and taken some ProPlus .  20 minutes later a strange noise from my room, I was at my desk my desk Empty coffee pot, pro plus taken snoring like a good-un.

30 minutes ago, onesea said:

I tried that once to get a project finished at Uni, Pint of strong coffee and god knows how many ProPlus.  Someone came and checked on me after 20 minutes, later I had just finished coffee and taken some ProPlus .  20 minutes later a strange noise from my room, I was at my desk my desk Empty coffee pot, pro plus taken snoring like a good-un.

Before energy drinks etc.

In heavy engineering it was standard practice prior to the working time directive. 

Thats why we are all buggered now....

Some folk went the whole hog before drug testing became the norm.

20 minutes ago, NeilM said:

In heavy engineering it was standard practice prior to the working time directive. 

I used to go for a mix of orange Fanta, marathons and cheese and onion crisps would last about 3 hrs, luckily i no longer have to work silly hours and I'm not sure I could hack it now, often used to do 7.30am to 9.30pm.

When I worked nights a guy came up to me at work and offered me some Speed :shock:  Told him I wasn't interested but he kept insisting that using it was the only way possible to cope with night shifts!!

He got the hint eventually and said " You'll be back to see me soon enough, how do you expect to stay up all night without a little help?"  I laughed and told him I had done this shift for years and I sleep during the day so it shouldn't be an issue :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

When I worked nights a guy came up to me at work and offered me some Speed :shock:  Told him I wasn't interested but he kept insisting that using it was the only way possible to cope with night shifts!!

He got the hint eventually and said " You'll be back to see me soon enough, how do you expect to stay up all night without a little help?"  I laughed and told him I had done this shift for years and I sleep during the day so it shouldn't be an issue :lol:

If he ever ends up as an inpatient in hospital he’s going to be very afraid of the night staff then 😂

• Haha 2

Back in the day when I had to keep watches (sort of split shifts 12 to 4, 4 to 8 and 8 to 12 morning and night) my favourite was 12 to 4, especially the early morning one. Never had any trouble staying awake nor of sleeping through the day. In happier times my favourite form of fishing is night fishing for sea trout, dusk to dawn. Really haven't issues with night shifts.

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilM said:

I just learned early on that Caffeine or energy drinks do not keep me awake, I can drink a cup of strong coffee and go to sleep.

I have spent most of my working life on shifts,  god knows how many variations, 4h 6h 8h 10h 12h 14h many a time a 4h shift could turn into 16h, 12h into 24h etc.

I still work shifts, presently settled on a 10h shift however I still never really know when I am coming home. This run of 5 x 10 hour shifts I covered the full 24 hour period and worked 55 hours which is admittedly less in way of overruns than recently.

I have dabbled at 9-5 life, it just makes me miserable:
My divorce happened after 9 month spell at 9-5 life) so I avoid as much as possible,
I tried again for 6 months, after 6 months she gave me an ultimatum, I agreed and became happy again :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onesea said:

I just learned early on that Caffeine or energy drinks do not keep me awake, I can drink a cup of strong coffee and go to sleep.

I have spent most of my working life on shifts,  god knows how many variations, 4h 6h 8h 10h 12h 14h many a time a 4h shift could turn into 16h, 12h into 24h etc.

I still work shifts, presently settled on a 10h shift however I still never really know when I am coming home. This run of 5 x 10 hour shifts I covered the full 24 hour period and worked 55 hours which is admittedly less in way of overruns than recently.

I have dabbled at 9-5 life, it just makes me miserable:
My divorce happened after 9 month spell at 9-5 life) so I avoid as much as possible,
I tried again for 6 months, after 6 months she gave me an ultimatum, I agreed and became happy again :D

Similar. I've done 9 to 5 for probably only 4 years throughout my working life barring the initial apprenticeship. 

I do 5x 9 and a half hour nightshifts, quite often more. plus at least 90 minutes driving.

I used to do 6 or even 7 shifts a week but now I only do 5 :thumb:

I've been on permanent nights (with the odd few weeks on days) for over 20 years!

I think I've just about had enough now! :laugh:

• Haha 1

Never worked 9 to 5 in my life. Bad enough when I was going to college but ensured I'd never be tempted by a shore based job. 40 years on I haven't.  Quite looking forward to retirement though now.

• Like 2

The only official night  “shift” I’ve ever done was 31st December 1999. My best ever hourly rate.

My contract of employment was “hours as required” which meant I would occasionally return to the office late evening to see how things were going. Most notable of these was when I had been out on the town with some mates one Friday evening. I was expecting to follow up on the Saturday morning but, around 1am as we were all going our separate ways, I popped in to the office. It was a good thing I did as it was all going pear shaped, with the software install on the server hitting multiple problems and the technician trying workarounds to make it happen. For me a technician trying workarounds sounds very much a bodge job happening so I got him to explain what he was trying to do. Yup. Bodge job. A short, curt exchange followed where I instructed him to leave it until the designer / programmers had chance to look at it. It was, by this time, 3am, I’d had a couple of pints and had been partying earlier, and had to send an email to senior management to explain why the install hadn’t happened. 🤔😳

• Haha 2