Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Morning. I think I've got some lingering after effects from one of my presents :lol:

PXL_20211226_094743806.MP.jpg

I had a bottle of that last year, it’s a good drop & slips down far too easily 🥴

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dynax said:

We are having our last club ride of the year on Friday.

Hopefully we will have a fish and chip dinner stop somewhere, I have suggested it, will see if it happens :thumb:

I'm just seeing who is free to play out on New Year's Eve in our group. No idea where we will go yet but the weather looks better on Friday than the rest of the week. 

There's a cafe in Wales I'd like to try but it depends what the restrictions are by then. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dynax said:

We are having our last club ride of the year on Friday.

Hopefully we will have a fish and chip dinner stop somewhere, I have suggested it, will see if it happens :thumb:

Nice one :thumb: 

I'll have to have a word with myself and get something sorted. 

• Like 1

Health issues and weather are working against me and i’m now the wrong side of 115kg ... 

I have controllable heart and blood pressure issues which will not kill me but could mess me up and currently my only exercise is cycling , albeit on the Doncaster / Gainsborough flat lands, 20 - 30 miles once a week.

I’m considering 2 visits a week to a gym for spinning and rowing to help me maintain and improve fitness through the rest of the winter and early spring in addition to my weekly ride.

Has anyone else gone down this road and did it produce reasonable results  ??

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Health issues and weather are working against me and i’m now the wrong side of 115kg ... 

I have controllable heart and blood pressure issues which will not kill me but could mess me up and currently my only exercise is cycling , albeit on the Doncaster / Gainsborough flat lands, 20 - 30 miles once a week.

I’m considering 2 visits a week to a gym for spinning and rowing to help me maintain and improve fitness through the rest of the winter and early spring in addition to my weekly ride.

What are you hoping to achieve? depending on the answer will depend on the answers you get off people 

Loose 15 kg and improve cardio vascular health ....

Good point ...

However ... reality check ... i posted this thread on the wrong forum ..It’s supposed to be on the CycleChat site ...

But i’m sure there is wisdom and experience here in lumps ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

Loose 15 kg and improve cardio vascular health ....

Good point ...

However ... reality check ... i posted this thread on the wrong forum ..It’s supposed to be on the CycleChat site ...

But i’m sure there is wisdom and experience here in lumps ...

This must be a better forum then for you to post on here instead :lol:

If you haven't already then I would take a look at your diet as the saying goes eat less move more 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

This must be a better forum then for you to post on here instead :lol:

If you haven't already then I would take a look at your diet as the saying goes eat less move more 

Cycling ... a fuelled exercise ....

If i do a 30 mile ride i need to fuel consistently throughout ... Bananas, Haribo, petrol station sandwiches ..... 

Starved rides are a thing  ... but only short term ....

Losing weight by cycling is difficult ....

I also do 100km rides 6 times a year .....

So often cycling is pushed as a great exercise regime .... It is. but not as weight loss programme.

Fuel in the tank ????

Edited by Trooper74

13 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

If i do a 30 mile ride i need to fuel consistently throughout ... Bananas, Haribo, petrol station sandwiches ..... 

So often cycling is pushed as a great exercise regime .... It is. but not as weight loss programme.

Fuel in the tank ????

Rowing you mentioned that's one of the best exercises you can get along with swimming. Tones and burns fat exercises most of your body. I uesd to row on water but only use an erg now I was fortunate enough to win a bid on a used one at work concept 2 was a steal for £320 hardly used. With my ongoing heart issues I have struggled but trying to get back into it as I've gained 5kg since this issue 

7 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Exercise in any form is very good for you but as a sole  means to weight loss it won't work . The only path to weight loss is to reduce calorie intake . And I should know because a few years ago I lost 9 stone . And now I've put it all back on again . 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Fuel in the tank ????

You're seeing this all wrong. I used to ride (cycles) with a group of guys who thought like that, it doesn't work. 

When I rode Lands End to John O'Groats we took some advice from a guy who was an olympic cyclist so I reckon he knew a bit about what the human body needs to ride well. It is actually surprisingly less than you think. We rode an average of 100 miles a day on a limited diet. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal and one slice of toast. Lunch was two butties and an eccles cake. Evening meal was a normal portion of proteins with not too many carbs. We carried eccles cakes and bananas as snacks but only a couple a day.

In training my weight went up but my waistline went down - muscle is heavier than fat so weight along isn't a good indication. You won't lose weight by cycling, if you're doing it right you'll gain weight, but the right kind of weight.

I think your best bet is to go to a local gym and get yourself a personal trainer. They will be able to look at what you are trying to achieve and work out a diet and exercise plan that will deliver.

I rode LEJOG in 2018 average 85 miles a day in  2 groups of 5 ... we ate anything that would stand still long enough for us to unclip !

Breakfast at 0730 of coffee, biscuits, bananas, first breakfast at any cafe around 30 miles, second breakfast at any garage around 60 miles and dinner at the pub (no beer) after ride finish and shower .... 

The day we crossed the Scottish border was my 60th birthday and when we arrived at the campsite the ladies had set up a barbie and friends and family of all of us  had driven from all over the UK for the party ..... we where all in bed for 10 ...😃  party animals all ...

I’ll give the gym thing a go, going to visit 2 today for a look over.

I’m in the middle of the pic, behind Julie with the pram .... we took our Riley with us ... 7 months old .. yes we are all men of a certain age ...

fullsizeoutput_20f.thumb.jpeg.3d62e010f188943d07dc139a9e197496.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

You're seeing this all wrong. I used to ride (cycles) with a group of guys who thought like that, it doesn't work. 

When I rode Lands End to John O'Groats we took some advice from a guy who was an olympic cyclist so I reckon he knew a bit about what the human body needs to ride well. It is actually surprisingly less than you think. We rode an average of 100 miles a day on a limited diet. Breakfast was a bowl of cereal and one slice of toast. Lunch was two butties and an eccles cake. Evening meal was a normal portion of proteins with not too many carbs. We carried eccles cakes and bananas as snacks but only a couple a day.

In training my weight went up but my waistline went down - muscle is heavier than fat so weight along isn't a good indication. You won't lose weight by cycling, if you're doing it right you'll gain weight, but the right kind of weight.

I think your best bet is to go to a local gym and get yourself a personal trainer. They will be able to look at what you are trying to achieve and work out a diet and exercise plan that will deliver.

Correct on the weight fat/muscle, I went to the docs few year back, as I don't visit often he did weight, blood pressure etc, then proceeded to point at his little chart to show me I was  clinically overweight and I was close to being classed as obese, at the time would be lucky if I was carrying 2lbs of fat, said I should consider diet changes, told wife she thought was hilarious. 

• Like 1