Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

2 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I would no idea how to go about that. I hope you get something positive.

:classic_biggrin:I have no idea either! I think I've done it in the wrong order!

my appointment is with something called The Job box, The job centre is either downstairs or next door:scratch:

I've already spent hours on the phone and "chat" trying to find out what I should do/how I should do it!

Although these people are very polite/helpful I seem to have actually got nowhere!

I've got a face to face meeting tomorrow then I'll just make a general nuisance of myself until I hopefully get somewhere :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@rennie, job centres don't do the job they used to. There's no boards with cards on or really any kind of vacancy on show, all they really do now is ask what you have been doing to find work, and you are expected to spent 37 hours a week job hunting. All vacancies are now online through their own website (jobsearch, I think it's called) and everything else is done via a online journal. If I were you I would use indeed or CV-Library for jobs, as they tend to have them all in one place so easier to look and if you set up notifications properly you get the correct vacancies sent to you via email. The first 90 days are kind of like a grace period where you are given time to adjust to your new situation, but after that they will start to push you more and the risk of sanctions arises if you fail to keep to the commitments you agreed with your job-coach. Anyway, best of luck a d hope you find something suitable 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, billy sugger said:

@rennie, job centres don't do the job they used to. There's no boards with cards on or really any kind of vacancy on show, all they really do now is ask what you have been doing to find work, and you are expected to spent 37 hours a week job hunting. All vacancies are now online through their own website (jobsearch, I think it's called) and everything else is done via a online journal. If I were you I would use indeed or CV-Library for jobs, as they tend to have them all in one place so easier to look and if you set up notifications properly you get the correct vacancies sent to you via email. The first 90 days are kind of like a grace period where you are given time to adjust to your new situation, but after that they will start to push you more and the risk of sanctions arises if you fail to keep to the commitments you agreed with your job-coach. Anyway, best of luck a d hope you find something suitable 

Cheers! :cheers: I haven't actually signed on or anything yet! I have my redundancy payout and some savings so I won't get much.

I've seen a fair few jobs which I'm qualified for but I don't really want to do any of them! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, rennie said:

Cheers! :cheers: I haven't actually signed on or anything yet! I have my redundancy payout and some savings so I won't get much.

I've seen a fair few jobs which I'm qualified for but I don't really want to do any of them! :classic_biggrin:

Take one, it's usually easier to switch jobs than start from scratch 😁 

• Like 1

I'm on day 9 of a 10 day week and then its Holiday time :cheers:

Norwegian Fjords cruise. Was originally booked for my 40th birthday but as that was in 2020 you can work out what went wrong :lol:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Norwegian Fjords cruise. Was originally booked for my 40th birthday but as that was in 2020 you can work out what went wrong :lol:

It sank? Virus GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Let me guess ....... Slartibartfast hadn`t finished making them?

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good Afternoon :classic_biggrin: I'm fed up of this job hunting already! And I haven't really started yet! :scratch:

My Daughter is getting married on Saturday! I think I might extend my "holiday" till well after that! :cheers:

• Like 7

On 18/04/2023 at 11:33, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It turns out that the mice in the garage loft are squirrels. Was has been declared. It is a war of attrition which went their way to begin with but I'm beginning to get the upper hand.

We have a stoat appear in the garden occasionally which we think is living in our lounge wall as we can hear the occasional scrabbling noise . I think I’ve found where it’s getting in but I’m not sure I want rid. 

On 18/04/2023 at 17:39, rennie said:

Signing on is important to maintain your NI record towards your state pension. The few quid I got in benefits (ten years ago. Doesn’t time fly) was a handy contribution but I’d started drawing my works pensions so wasn’t dependent on it.

If you do load your CV up to a database then be prepared for some very odd vacancy opportunities appearing. I had an agency contact me to apply for an architect role as my CV included a role as an (IT) Infrastructure Project Manager with a successful rollout of a product called Systems Architect.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

If you do load your CV up to a database then be prepared for some very odd vacancy opportunities appearing

I've seen it from the other side too.  Advertised on indeed for a fryer with at least 5 years experience. Got a guy who's work experience was primarily data inputting but he had once worked a summer job at Mcdonalds :scratch: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We have a stoat appear in the garden occasionally which we think is living in our lounge wall as we can hear the occasional scrabbling noise . I think I’ve found where it’s getting in but I’m not sure I want rid. 

I'd keep the stoat as it'll keep any rats away.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I've seen it from the other side too.  Advertised on indeed for a fryer with at least 5 years experience. Got a guy who's work experience was primarily data inputting but he had once worked a summer job at Mcdonalds :scratch: :lol:

I’ve heard similar from a mate from my youth. He runs a very successful landscaping company and he got all sorts turn up. Mind, I wouldn’t work for him… even in his 70’s he’s working harder in a physical job  than most.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve_M said:

But do you know the difference beteween a Stoat & a Weasel?

.…

….…..

Answer: A Weasel is Weasily recognised and a Stoat is Stotally different 

I’ll get me coat 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 19/04/2023 at 09:20, Tiggie said:

Norway has to be one of my Favourite countries. We did the Fjords back in 2016, my highlight was the Briksdal Glacier and Flam Railway :thumb:

• Like 3

Packing for holiday day 🙂

And as a plus my new stihl strimmer ( well, new to me) got delivered this morning. Won it on auction for £85 so was fairly happy with that.

With it being a Stihl I know I'll always be able to get parts and keep it running. At least that's the excuse I gave to the wife :mrgreen:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

This dropped through my door this morning.....the cheek of it!

20230421_112744.jpg

Got one of those a few years ago, went straight to bin with lots of muttering and snarls. Almost as bad are the endless ads I get for bloody Saga or retirement living.