Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

35 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@NeilM  It's scary how quickly you can lose fitness without realising. A few years ago I could happily (maybe not too happily!) bang out 50 push-ups without too much effort as they were a regular part of my routine. Doubtful I'd get over 20 at moment without struggling. 

I need to get back into doing something, anything, as the only exercise I get now is at work. Thankfully I'm on my feet all day moving when I'm there as if I had a desk job feck knows how big I'd be :lol:

100 % agree.

Said before. I'm same clothes size ish as I have been for last 20 years, and within a stone of weight.

Problem is the muscles which used to there are no longer and the stomach resembles a barrel instead of a 6 pack...lol

I have a desk job now and it's bloody hard not to eat shite and do nowt.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It takes a great (immense) deal of self-discipline to only eat what you are supposed to.

Not only in quality but also in quantity.

Up to my early 40's I would eat everything not caring if I would be stuffing myself, my weight was always around 60kg

Mid 40's onwards even a deep breath makes me heavier. 🥴

• Haha 2

Just now, husoi said:

It takes a great (immense) deal of self-discipline to only eat what you are supposed to.

Not only in quality but also in quantity.

Up to my early 40's I would eat everything not caring if I would be stuffing myself, my weight was always around 60kg

Mid 40's onwards even a deep breath makes me heavier. 🥴

Spent a large proportion of my youth and adult life doing the Coopers run with various modifications based on strength to go with the actual 12 mins of running hell. (Been used as a rugby training tool for years)

Up until I was maybe 42/43 I was still at an acceptable level. (Even though no longer playing we would train with our kids etc and do the test so we could abuse each other...lol)

Nowadays I can't imagine even doing the test in anger.

This is only 5 year ago Max.

I’ve been pretty fit right up to my early 50’s, having trained with area and national judo squads, and taken part in category C triathlons. Even in my late 40’s I came second in a British Masters judo event. I did physical work, as a gardener, from the age of 60 for four years, and have been working renovating property since.

I’m one of those lucky sods whose weight stays reasonably constant so I don’t have to worry about that.  

My late onset asthma, though, concerns me, as my peak flow level has been dropping over the last few years. Exercise, they say, helps. 

I’ve done three sessions so far.  None of them even come close to what I did previously as a warm up. However, I’m only looking for incremental improvements and, ultimately, relatively modest levels of fitness. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I’ve been pretty fit right up to my early 50’s, having trained with area and national judo squads, and taken part in category C triathlons. Even in my late 40’s I came second in a British Masters judo event. I did physical work, as a gardener, from the age of 60 for four years, and have been working renovating property since.

I’m one of those lucky sods whose weight stays reasonably constant so I don’t have to worry about that.  

My late onset asthma, though, concerns me, as my peak flow level has been dropping over the last few years. Exercise, they say, helps. 

I’ve done three sessions so far.  None of them even come close to what I did previously as a warm up. However, I’m only looking for incremental improvements and, ultimately, relatively modest levels of fitness. 

And there lies most peoples issues.

We have a tendency to think we can still do as previously. 

Instead you are being sensible and looking for moderate gains and an achievable level.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Exercise will definitely help as long is the right type of exercise.

You would be looking for respiratory exercises instead of traditional fitness ones.

There is also a relation between asthma and stress. So meditation could contribute to improvement.

One thing that will help is having good quality eucalyptus oil on a oil burner ALWAYS with added water. This prevents the oil from overheat and becoming mildly toxic and ineffective.

Another oil that can be used together with eucalyptus is tea tree oil, another type of eucalyptus tree.

There is a natural treatment for respiratory problems that I regularly use (when needed of course).

This consists of,

1 teaspoon of turmeric

1/2 lemon juice

as much honey as you like to cut the bitterness.

mix all together and take it during the day in 1 or 2 teaspoon doses.

NOTE: As an adept of natural remedies I don't discard the use of chemical treatment as in my opinion they can complement each other. In no way I would ever advocate replacing one with the other.

I'm in no way suggesting that you MUST do this but it works for me and some of my friends/acquittances.

Approx 3 years ago my Wife lost 22kg by walking 😲

She used to go for walks everyday, got to the point where anything less than 8 miles felt pointless to her!! On a morning she would go to work for 6am, park her car and do a 2 hour walk before starting work! 🤯

She fell out of the habit though and has since put approx half the weight back on. I'm writing this in small font as I will be absolutely slaughtered if she reads this!!!!

• Haha 1

I'm still probably as fit as I was 20yr ago, I'm now a 32 waist instead of  hovering between 28/30.

I'm very active at work, my problems are all going to be down to joint wear which is starting to take it's toll, getting old sucks.

I'm nowhere near as fit as I was 10 years ago! I am around 14 kg lighter though 😭.

I spent on average 16 hours a week in the gym or running back then and it's the weighted running that knackered my knee.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Bender said:

I'm still probably as fit as I was 20yr ago, I'm now a 32 waist instead of  hovering between 28/30.

I'm very active at work, my problems are all going to be down to joint wear which is starting to take it's toll, getting old sucks.

Think I was 11 last time I was a 32 waste....

34/36. Used to get bigger from waist to chest.

Now bigger from chest to waist.....lol

• Haha 2

I blame my Wife for my weight gain!!   when we first started dating she kept telling me I was far too skinny and needed to put on some weight before we got married as I would look emaciated in the wedding photos.

Approx 6 months before we got married

Bridlington 04-09-2005 14-30-56.JPG

16 years later at my heaviest 

20200614_151206.jpg

Its all her fault, she never told me to STOP putting on the weight!! 😆

• Like 2

I'm 59 this year! I've had a hard life! :classic_biggrin:

I've smoked since I was 13, I've drunk too much for as long as I can remember

and I like my chips and bread :laugh:

My knees are knackered, I walk with a stick.

I'm still reasonably active at work but it's hardly manual labour.

I was 12 and a half stone when I came back from the Gulf in 92

I'm about 21 stone now :shock:

But I'm happy enough and I almost never have time off! I'm going to carry on until I can't! :thumb:

• Like 3

fit as fook me ... middleweight boxing champ , train cage fighters now..... done  Iron Man UK 6 times , won it 4 of them, do a lot of stunt work for famous actors , like to Kayak , the rougher the rapids the better and at weekends i like to lapdance.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Tiggie said:

I blame my Wife for my weight gain!!   when we first started dating she kept telling me I was far too skinny and needed to put on some weight before we got married as I would look emaciated in the wedding photos.

20200614_151206.jpg

Who's the bloke holding you up by the ankles 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I'll be venturing out after dinner (lunch to those south of the M62 🤣🤣🤣🤣)  

Breakfast

Dinner

Tea

End of discussion.....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tiggie said:

20200614_151206.jpg

Problem with that sequence of photos is you've made it look like you ate the child 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Good morning. The weather’s looking fine and I’m all dressed and ready to go out on the bike. So WTF am I doing typing this? Seeya...

Today I had a fine day out on the bike. Much fine scenery, some rather splendid roads, and good weather. 230 miles covered in total. 

93496E73-FDED-42C8-8490-75D196449285.jpeg

1CD89F01-9DBE-450D-A228-8F486DF44D2F.jpeg

167BA3D1-4173-4E81-8579-4B0CC4A034B3.jpeg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NeilM said:

Breakfast

Dinner

Tea

End of discussion.....lol

Reckon I'm from further north than you and for my family its breakfast, lunch, dinner and if for some reason your underfed supper. On special days you can squeeze in tea as well between lunch and dinner. Never, ever luncheon though.

• Confused 2