Electric Bicycles .

fastbob

Wondering back from the shops last night and just about to cross the road when I heard a strange , high pitched whirring sound . A split second later a hooded figure on a small electric bicycle flashed past me at what I would conservatively estimate to be 50+ miles an hour . They were immediately followed by another one going equally fast . Both of them then leaned over at an extreme angle as they took the first exit to the rounderbout without braking . You know when you hold your breath because you just know there's going to be a horrible crash ? Well there wasn't . Bearing in mind that the road was wet and greasy and the turn was tight , there's no way a motorcycle of any design would have managed that manoeuvre at that speed so how they did it on bicycle tyres is nothing short of a miracle. I would also add that these youths were all in black , no crash helmets ( of course ) and the bikes had no lights . I really don't know what to make of it all . In future I'll be looking twice before crossing the road or pulling out of a junction especially if I see a bicycle because it could be on you in a split second . You saw it here first , people are going to get hurt or worse . 

• Like 2

Surely the stupid layers of licensing already in place for Motorcycles would dissuade you from any more regulations .... because one thing is patently obvious ... the group you described won't be bothered about licensing ,,,, Small electric bicycle travelling at 50+ mph .... that must have a range of about a mile .....:classic_smile:

Edited by Trooper74

I have never understood why the police don't target cyclists with the same amount of zeal as they do other motorists? 

If I was to ride my motorcycle on the pavement, without lights at night, wrong way down one way streets or ignoring traffic lights, etc, I'm sure the fines would be enormous! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

I have never understood why the police don't target cyclists with the same amount of zeal as they do other motorists? 

When I was last in London the police where quite proactive on this.

15 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

Surely the stupid layers of licensing already in place for Motorcycles would dissuade you from any more regulations .... because one thing is patently obvious ... the group you described won't be bothered about licensing ,,,, Small electric bicycle travelling at 50+ mph .... that must have a range of about a mile .....:classic_smile:

There you go 40mph Mile 25+ range.
https://www.jacs-electricbikes.co.uk/product-page/52v-2400w-calibre-rake-fast-electric-mountain-bike-40mph-ebike-bluetooth
These things are so light they can achieve some good ranges.

The way of the future for Electric Vehicles IMHO, lightweight without the refinements of the petrol counterparts.

I do think there needs to be some rules, registration, insurance and rider standard for electric vehicles of all types.  At the moment they meander round doing what they want.

There are several round here of ALL Ages, OAPS to Kids on electric scooters & mobility scooters meandering into the middle of the road into oncoming traffic to pass parked cars, or beeping/ shouting sometimes aggressively to get off pavements or footpaths when they approach silently from behind.

The standard only needs a theory test and an equivalent CBT/ Mod1 but something.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, onesea said:

https://www.jacs-electricbikes.co.uk/product-page/52v-2400w-calibre-rake-fast-electric-mountain-bike-40mph-ebike-bluetooth

The way of the future for Electric Vehicles IMHO, lightweight without the refinements of the petrol counterparts.

I do think there needs to be some rules, registration, insurance and rider standard for electric vehicles of all types.  At the moment they meander round doing what they want.

There are several round here of ALL Ages, OAPS to Kids on electric scooters & mobility scooters meandering into the middle of the road into oncoming traffic to pass parked cars, or beeping/ shouting sometimes aggressively to get off pavements or footpaths when they approach silently from behind.

The standard only needs a theory test and an equivalent CBT/ Mod1 but something.

And insurance - third party at least so when they do mow down some innocent there's some chance of compensation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onesea said:

The fact that sellers are advertising electric bikes capable of speeds that are illegal with the get out clause that they do not condone operating the bike in high power mode in none approved environments suggests that plenty of people will buy these things and use them on the roads.

But then plenty of bikers run motorcycles with illegal fittings for road use and seem to think that's not a huge issue.

In the end it will take a series of accidents for legislation to catch up.

• Like 1

I think electric bicycles will become one of the main modes of transport in the next few years. A friend had one and he let me use it a few times. It was bloody brilliant, zipping along with no effort and no noise. His one did about 20mph. That was plenty fast. If you get the chance you should have a go on one. You will be surprised how good they are.

Taken from Google.

What counts as an EAPC ( Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycle )

An EAPC must have pedals that can be used to propel it.

It must show either:

• the power output
  • the manufacturer of the motor

It must also show either:

• the battery's voltage
  • the maximum speed of the bike

Its electric motor:

• must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
  • should not be able to propel the bike when it's travelling more than 15.5mph

An EAPC can have more than 2 wheels (for example, a tricycle).

Where you can ride

If a bike meets the EAPC requirements it's classed as a normal pedal bike. This means you can ride it on cycle paths and anywhere else pedal bikes are allowed

I had a go on an electric bike last year and have to admit that they are quick, the bike I was on had a boost mode and did about 15 - 20mph.  I don't think some cyclists do themselves any favours judging by what I've seen over the years,  I'm definitely not anti bike, I ride a mountain bike, albeit in the plantations and off road tracks, "where I can fall off in private" :classic_biggrin: I stay away from the busy main roads.  I do have something that, imho, I think should be a requirement by law for all cyclists though and that's 3rd party insurance.

• Like 2

I've got nothing against electric bicycles ( as distinct from electric Motorbikes ) I guess you just had to be there when these two things shot out of the darkness and managed to get round that corner at such terrifying speed . There are  a lot of elderly and partially sighted people that cross the road in that particular place who wouldn't have stood a chance . 

There's going to be a bad accident sooner or later. Remember a few years ago some tosser got done for "riding furiously" after he killed a woman on a crossing in London? That was on a purely pedal powered bike but which has been adapted somehow but precisely how I cannot remember. 

Just now, S-Westerly said:

There's going to be a bad accident sooner or later. Remember a few years ago some tosser got done for "riding furiously" after he killed a woman on a crossing in London? That was on a purely pedal powered bike but which has been adapted somehow but precisely how I cannot remember. 

I seem to remember the bike was suitable for velodrome i.e fixed gears and no brakes.

I think the twat thought he was in control if he stopped peddling.

Cheers

Ian

4 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I seem to remember the bike was suitable for velodrome i.e fixed gears and no brakes.

Cheers

Ian

That's  it. It wasn't road legal apparently.

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

with those things i think you have to pedal backwards to start braking 

On 12/12/2020 at 18:03, dynax said:

Any vehicle regardless of power and propulsion, if it is used on a public road or path, it should have minimum of 3rd party.

And that includes mobility scooters .!!

• Like 1

Just now, Trooper74 said:

And that includes mobility scooters .!!

Especially them, thing is some people do qualify to get them through motability, who could also provide the insurance for them, but yeah anything ridden or driven :thumb:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

He was riding fixed wheel without brakes .... Very Stupid .... but very fashionable among the hipsters of Londonistan ...

I ride fixed wheel daily ... 2 brakes !!

I've seen one near me absolutely flying along it's more than an electric bike as I'm not sure he has pedals....no lights all in black and no helmet....the plod don't seem to care about these scooters on the road or pavement even though they aren't allowed 

On 12/12/2020 at 12:18, fastbob said:

Wondering back from the shops last night and just about to cross the road when I heard a strange , high pitched whirring sound . A split second later a hooded figure on a small electric bicycle flashed past me at what I would conservatively estimate to be 50+ miles an hour . They were immediately followed by another one going equally fast . Both of them then leaned over at an extreme angle as they took the first exit to the rounderbout without braking . You know when you hold your breath because you just know there's going to be a horrible crash ? Well there wasn't . Bearing in mind that the road was wet and greasy and the turn was tight , there's no way a motorcycle of any design would have managed that manoeuvre at that speed so how they did it on bicycle tyres is nothing short of a miracle. I would also add that these youths were all in black , no crash helmets ( of course ) and the bikes had no lights . I really don't know what to make of it all . In future I'll be looking twice before crossing the road or pulling out of a junction especially if I see a bicycle because it could be on you in a split second . You saw it here first , people are going to get hurt or worse . 

You should take more notice of what Jimmy Savile said about the green cross code mate.

18 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

You should take more notice of what Jimmy Savile said about the green cross code mate.

Jimmy Saville was the seat belt campaign. The green cross code had Darth Vader.

Darth Vader was slightly less of a menace.