Chip shops and what they sell.

onesea

49 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Definitely onion in ours. Though it's not vegetarian friendly anyway as it has beef suet as part of the ingredients! 

Good to know - I'll be missing that, then! I assume I'm alright with mushy peas?

Gravy I've always assumed has some sort of animal base.

11 hours ago, onesea said:

I miss the regional variations Fish Suppers, Deep fried mars bars and pizza or anything else come to mention it, fish bits, black pudding, spam, pie suppers.

The one time I had a battered Mars bar I really liked it. Wouldn't be one I'd eat regularly, but I thought it was tasty. 

Agree with you on the standardisation of food. It's actually something I really kick against in life generally, much preferring individualism, although it's getting much harder. I do wonder where we'll end up and am glad I'll not be around to see it. 

Edited by Guest

@ZX7R you'll be alright with peas :)

Gravy you would have to ask where you went. Ours has beef suet in. We once got sent some vegetarian beef flavoured gravy by mistake. It was crap so we got rid of it but it must have a market.

We only fry in beef dripping at our shop so we aren't exactly veggie friendly anyway. Though I've seen plenty of people buy some chips for their Wife/husband/daughter etc and say "ah, they'll never know anyway" :classic_blink:

• Like 1

Oh and as for battered mars bars. I worked as a fryer for 7 years before I finally decided to try one. Bloody amazing!!!! 

Really nice with some ice-cream on the side too :classic_wink:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I'll do 25% discount to any TMBF members that come to mine :classic_biggrin:

Minimum spend of £20. Member must also like all my posts for 30 days. Other terms may apply 

I just messaged my sister she'll be over later in the week with some of her mates, she lives in Baildon 🤣

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Minimum spend of £20. Member must also like all my posts for 30 days. Other terms may apply . They must have caught ,gutted and filleted their own fish and all potatoes must be a British variety  grown by them in organic soil and picked by a celestial virgin on her 18th birthday only if the moon 8s in its last quarter .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Minimum spend of £20. Member must also like all my posts for 30 days. Other terms may apply 

Should make it conditional on them wearing the TMBF buff though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Which chippy is it?

Owt for nowt lad🤣🤣🤣

One of the best chippy’s in my town (Grimsby) has to be Wybers Wood Chippy. Or lovingly just called Wybers Chippy. 

Owned by a Cypriot family since it opened back in the mid 70’s. 

It is now run by the two brothers after Dad retired, but should we be lucky enough to go when he has been on the fryer...which isn’t very often nowadays.... anyway it’s still top notch. 
When me and the wife go it’s Fish, Chips & small gravy for me and a Large bag of Chips, a bag of scraps and a bun for the wife. She’s a veggie. 
When I get home the Salt & Vinegar goes on before the gravy. 
Sometimes I’ll have Fishcake (home made with chunks of fish and potato), Chips and mushy peas.

The menu includes;

Cod Roe 

Scampi

Skate

But I’ve never ever fancied any of that.

I worked down south in my late 20’s 

Guildford, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City etc and was always disappointed when I visited any chippy around there. No trays, no forks, no gravy, no buns, no haddock!! Can’t believe they called themselves a chippy!!

Edited by fullscreenaging

I remember the chippy in Leeds when I was a student, opposite the Engineering faculty, Sweats, known by one and all as Sweaty Betty's.

Extensive menu. Fish. Chips. Mushy peas. Or for the adventurous, a chip butty. 

The mushy peas were so inedible we used to smear them over traffic light lenses. It kind of made sense at the time.

22 minutes ago, skyrider said:

told you before about my battered pizza experience just outside of glasgow 🤮

They will batter anything up there

I'm old fashioned I love pineapple fritters with chips, used to get nice cheese patties too, can't remember last time I had either.

• Like 1

Pickled Eggs - Funny thing is yup I can get them down here, great in pack of crisps.  Don't worry if the jar looks old they will be nicer :D
Pine apple Fritter - Cannot recall seeing one of them in Chippy, one to find :D
Deep Fried Mars Bars - Love them, favourite place has to be sitting on the Quay in Brodick after one of my numerous attempts to scale Goat Fell.

I need to go north again, so many foods I am missing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onesea said:

Pine apple Fritter

We do them but I can't stand em' :lol:   

Local chinese place does a banana fritter too that i've heard is good. Theres a chip shop I've seen that does a mushy pea fritter. Can't say I fancy that!

2 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

chinese place does a banana fritter too that i've heard is good. Theres a chip shop I've seen that does a mushy pea fritter. Can't say I fancy that!

Pea Fritters we can them down here, they are good, also normally in hot plate so drained of excess oil so better than local fresh cooked and wrapped fish...

Banana Fritters are great so is fried banana, so is rum and chocolate (it doesn't matter if its from the fridge) and rum wrapped in tin foil cooked on BBQ but you cannot get that in chippies.

My tip get some Plantain if you can, cooks so much better than banana. Although Banana will do it is up there with Fried Mars Bars...

• Like 1