selling up and moving on :(

mealexme

Hi guys, some of you might remember me from years ago, but most of you probably won't.

I've not posted in a while, and I've not ridden much either,  so I've finally decided to sell up.

The problem is, I've never sold a vehicle privately before and wouldn't know where to start in keeping the bike safe, but at the same time I can't sell without offering a test ride.

How do I offer a test ride but stop the bike from getting stolen? The last thing I want to do is to give a complete stranger my keys!

Side note - its mad to think I signed up to this site over 10 years ago, and the forum has offered a lot of great advice over the years and Ive made a lot of friends on here and had a lot of fun, so if anyone is still on here and reading this, thank you!

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, mealexme said:

Hi guys, some of you might remember me from years ago, but most of you probably won't.

I've not posted in a while, and I've not ridden much either,  so I've finally decided to sell up.

The problem is, I've never sold a vehicle privately before and wouldn't know where to start in keeping the bike safe, but at the same time I can't sell without offering a test ride.

How do I offer a test ride but stop the bike from getting stolen? The last thing I want to do is to give a complete stranger my keys!

Side note - its mad to think I signed up to this site over 10 years ago, and the forum has offered a lot of great advice over the years and Ive made a lot of friends on here and had a lot of fun, so if anyone is still on here and reading this, thank you!

Your still welcome without the bike 👍 

Cash in hand as minimum, proof of insurance ie to ride another bike preferable 😁 

• Like 2

I don`t even test ride my friends.

Good luck with sale but as others have said "Full asking price and proof of insurance in my hands first" The insurance is important as if it goes tits up you will be asked if you checked.

Well done for pointing it out @Bender.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Ian Frog
  • Like 1

There are no friends in business.

Get the money in hand and let them do whatever they want with it.

Advertise as "sold as seen" to avoid litigations and tell whoever buys it that if on the day they bought it they change their minds just bring it back exactly as they got it and you return the money.

I agree with trying a dealer.  I just sold my bike to a dealer - they were offering more than I was getting offered as a trade in.  We agreed the price from pictures, emails and phone calls.  They came to collect it and made the bank transfer when they arrived so I had the money before they drove away with it.  Unfortunately they are in Darlington so probably a bit too far away from you.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try a couple of these "buy my bike for cash" sites first, but u think they'll low ball me.

As for actual dealers, the only big dealer around here only buys them if they're less than 5 years old I believe, and it's an 08 plate 600rr (the best year 😂 )

33 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I remember you!! :cheers:

I remember you too :D

The forums changed a bit, or at least it has on my phone anyway. Good to know people have stuck around! :cheers:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mealexme said:

Cool, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try a couple of these "buy my bike for cash" sites first, but u think they'll low ball me.

As for actual dealers, the only big dealer around here only buys them if they're less than 5 years old I believe, and it's an 08 plate 600rr (the best year 😂 )

I remember you too :D

The forums changed a bit, or at least it has on my phone anyway. Good to know people have stuck around! :cheers:

Older Hondas are better than newer ones in terms of build quality in my humble opinion. Hope you can find a good home for it.

• Like 1

I'm constantly scanning ads at the moment and it either seems to be cash in hand as a minimum with some requiring proof of insurance. If you make this clear in any ads you should'nt have any issues and if you do its likely they are dodgy or not serious about buying your bike anyway.

Edited by Spongefinger
Spellings

I didnt test drive mine either, and most dont offer it. biketrader seems to sell at good prices, but it is scary giving out adress etc if the bike isn't safe or offer viewings at a local friends/family.

I take cash in hand, make the purchaser a coffee, go to local bank and pay cash into account ..... Putting the cash through a counter is vital, there are too many forgeries about.

Then he can have a ride, if happy the purchaser rides off into the sunset, if not i take him  to the bank and withdraw the cash ....

But PayPal is my favourite.

On 11/03/2021 at 09:42, keith1200rs said:

I agree with trying a dealer.  I just sold my bike to a dealer - they were offering more than I was getting offered as a trade in.  We agreed the price from pictures, emails and phone calls.  They came to collect it and made the bank transfer when they arrived so I had the money before they drove away with it.  

Yes, this is my experience too. plus mine were from the county next door to mine so agreed a price based on my ad plus extra pics and videos, then they picked it up in a van the next day. bank transfer there and then in the garden lol, then just waited for me to to change over owner details online. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James in Brum said:

@Six30 08 Plate 600rr, I assume that is cbr600rr. 

yeh saw that in his profile , wanted details , reg etc so i could try and beg it of him .