Numb fingers on the throttle hand....

Troy

After riding 15 minutes or so, my fingers will begin to go numb and will gradually effect my entire hand. 

It has only been since owning my CBR which I got last year. I’ve tried adjusting my gloves, thinking they maybe too tight... this helps but only a little. 
Is my grip too tight on the throttle? (but I would of thought this would effect both hands, no?!)

Maybe it’s me still needing to adjust to the riding position on this bike? Afterall, not much riding has been done because of Lockdown.

Thoughts?

Edited by Troy

one possible cause.

for me, modern bike handlebar grips are too narrow. I often say they're like trying to hold two pencils. so, I make them bigger, adding covers makes them bigger, adds girth and improves comfort hugely, also reduces vibrations somewhat. I use Grip puppies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Could be a physical thing ...too tight grip ,poor posture/position, onset of white finger/renaulds /HAVs 

Could be a mechanical thing.

Incorrect bar weight , poorly tuned suspension , bent bar resulting in poor position .

• Like 1

I doubt the OP will be putting Grip Puppies or similar on his CBR6. 
I know I wouldn’t have put them on mine. 

I think you just need to get used to the bike and riding position. 
I think you are gripping too tightly but also agree with TimR that it could be a number of things causing excessive vibes through the bars. 
Try gripping the tank with your knees and loosen your grip. Keep your forearms level with the ground. This will mean a bend in your arms.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far! 

I’m due to get some heated grips installed so I’ll wait to see what happens after they’ve been fitted, as this will remove the standard grips anyway and I’m fairly certain they will be bigger. If the problem still persists after that, then I’ll look at other options like ‘grip puppies’ since they seem so recommended.

I’ll also work on my riding posture and see if that helps. 

Edited by Troy

Another vote for Grip Puppies here. Even with them on, the heated grips on my K12 work fine. I used to suffer with numb hands and as @Gerontious pointed out some handlebar grips are too narrow so Grip Puppies bridge the gap so to speak.

I've also used one of these for long trips so I can ease the pressure off my throttle hand:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Products-Cruise-Throttle-Assist-OX609-Motorcycle-Hand-Wrist-Rest-Tour-J-S-/133113792812?hash=item1efe33492c

Edited by rob m

or you can take it a step further and add a mechanical "cruise control" - there is a reason these things, though in electronic form are becoming normal equipment on larger bikes, especially anything made with the likelihood of touring involved.

im not bothered about cruise control. not standard on my 2018. but standard on the new 2020/21. but.. if I were to go for one it would be this.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/Atlas-Throttle-Lock

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

or you can take it a step further and add a mechanical "cruise control" - there is a reason these things, though in electronic form are becoming normal equipment on larger bikes, especially anything made with the likelihood of touring involved.

im not bothered about cruise control. not standard on my 2018. but standard on the new 2020/21. but.. if I were to go for one it would be this.

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/Atlas-Throttle-Lock

This looks good! It might come in handy for me actually. Got some family in France...

I suffer with this when riding mainly right hand but i do get it in left hand occasionally after a long day riding, i think its mainly down to posture as a sportsbike isnt the most natural position to be sat in.  

I use wrist supports when riding and can go much longer before it comes a problem.

I wonder if it's the angle of the levers. I saw a video by one of those bike setup gurus recently, and he made the point that no one ever checks the angle, which of course is set to some average that will be wrong for many. Been riding for yonks, but never realised that...

A 2-minute job to check, and change them so they match your forearm position. Mine were ok, so no adjustment needed. 

Probably not relevant,  but I got really painful tendinitis after getting back on a bike following some years away. Solved with regular wrist exercise... ooh, er missus. 

May I propose an alternative ? Mind you , if you're fitting heated grips this is purely academic . I've had Oxford Fat Grips fitted to a lot of my bikes including my present ER5 . These things are great not so much because of the slightly increased diameter but because they are just so grippy . The key to comfortable hands is not to be  holding on so tight . With a grip that has maximum adhesion the desire to clench your hands gradually diminishes as you realise that you don't have to hold on for grim death .  

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 3

I've had similar sensation when using pressure washer or strimmer. It's the high frequency vibrations along with gripping tightly. Either cushioning or looser grip helped for me.

On 20/03/2021 at 19:36, Troy said:

This looks good! It might come in handy for me actually. Got some family in France...

Throttle locks are turd. I had one on the Golding which needed constant fiddling to maintain a speed. Any change in the environment such as road level or wind meant it needed adjustment.

As has been said, try relaxing a bit. I barely grip the handlebars at all unless I'm giving it the beans and even then it's still a light touch.

2 hours ago, JustinW said:

I've had similar sensation when using pressure washer or strimmer. It's the high frequency vibrations along with gripping tightly. Either cushioning or looser grip helped for me.

Google HAV's / whitefinger . Sounds like you may have the onset of it .

• Thanks 1

Instead of heated grips look into heated gloves as alternative.

For the look of it I'll be looking into fatty grips 🤔

Or, being a cheap git a length of foam pipe insulation 😋

• Haha 1

Some times I find myself holding the grips as if I was upside down. 🙄

Resting the fingers on the brake lever helps easing the grip and get the blood back in the fingers.

Why I do it I have no idea.

There are several reasons why you can get numb fingers.  Vibration is one.  In my case it is pressure in the wrist that traps the nerves to my fingers.  I have had the same problem mountain biking for years.  I can even get the problem driving a car if I am not careful how I hold the wheel.   Adjusting the handlebar position and angle to minimise the pressure point is probably the best solution.  Some gloves make the problem worse.  With my mountain bike, the gel padded ones seem worse - I think the gel bunches up and puts more pressure where you don't want it.  Thinner gloves therefore tend to be better.  I haven't had specific problems with any of my motorbike gloves though (none of which had gel).  Cruise control helps, when I get the chance to use it.

• Like 1