Speed limiters coming in 2022

Liveware Problem

Visordown article

Key points as far as I can see:

Automatic speed limiters to be fitted on all new cars etc. from next year.

No requirement to retrofit older vehicles.

Currently only for cars/lorries not bikes (suggests that bikes are likely to follow though, and this would make sense)

In the EU: engine power will be limited electronically automatically to prevent exceeding speed limit. Can still override with firm push of accelerator.

In UK: limiter will "give drivers feedback when the speed limit is exceeded rather than limiting the speed”

Dataloggers and other tech to also be mandatory, so if you do exceed limits expect to be found out if you're involved in an incident..

ETSC say that traffic collisions will reduce by 30 per cent, and 25,000 lives will be saved in the first 15 years of coming into force.

So you could say, well that's not really a limiter is it.. but this is stage 1, I think realistically it won't be too long before the limiters are not able to be overridden or switched off. 

Any thoughts?

I had loan car which had live speed limit display and gave a mild warning when you exceeded it. 

It was useful driving around, I would have no issue with it auto limiting with bypass if req. 

It will likely reduce deaths and that will be filtered down to stricter control. 

Most new cars log what you have been doing directly before an accident but how much history the new box of frogs will hold we will have to wait see. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, husoi said:

I have one already.

called wife... 🙄

You too.?! Mine has a phantom brake pedal which when I'm going faster than I should be has her left leg going into spasms. The next thing is a very pointed comment and as the car is hers I generally behave. Of course when she's driving speed limits are only a guideline you understand. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bender said:

I had loan car which had live speed limit display and gave a mild warning when you exceeded it. 

It was useful driving around, I would have no issue with it auto limiting with bypass if req. 

It will likely reduce deaths and that will be filtered down to stricter control. 

Most new cars log what you have been doing directly before an accident but how much history the new box of frogs will hold we will have to wait see. 

I can't imagine it will stop at this level, before too long speed limits will in fact be hard limits enforced by technology

:(

I'm not a reckless speed demon but still, not looking forward to that. I know others will argue anything that reduces road accidents is a good thing, but I'm willing to bet most of those people view driving as necessary rather than a pleasure.

Far too Orwellian for my taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

My Wifes car has one of these. Drove me mad when went on holiday to Cornwall and I didnt even drive!! :lol:

It has collision sensors on all sides as well so just feels to be constantly beeping at you 

imagine the revenue they will lose , no one will get speeding fines... if it gets to that stage biking will be shite, can see why so many do track days .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Six30 said:

imagine the revenue they will lose , no one will get speeding fines... if it gets to that stage biking will be shite, can see why so many do track days .

I was thinking the same. 

Surely this is counter productive to the whole speed camera cash cow agenda?

• Like 1

I don't really believe in the speed camera cash cow agenda thing. If there really were cash cows, all the cameras would be painted leaf green or in dressed in camos or hidden behind a rock beside the road. Like they are in France.

But here, if you really can't see that big fluorescent yellow blob on a stick before you reach it then you *are* going too fast. In a lot of places then even give you a warning sign about mile before the camera, just to nudge you into opening your eyes a bit more.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bonio said:

I don't really believe in the speed camera cash cow agenda thing. If there really were cash cows, all the cameras would be painted leaf green or in dressed in camos or hidden behind a rock beside the road. Like they are in France.

But here, if you really can't see that big fluorescent yellow blob on a stick before you reach it then you *are* going too fast. In a lot of places then even give you a warning sign about mile before the camera, just to nudge you into opening your eyes a bit more.

We have some lovely  inadvertently well hidden cameras up here, hidden by trees and behind signs and you wouldn't know till its too late. 

• Like 2

There was a speed limiter fitted to a loan car we got when we took my wife's car in for service .... It failed after four miles!!  We were driving along in a 50mph zone and all of a sudden the car slowed down and wouldn't go above 20mph,  whenever I put my foot down it just kept flashing up LIM on the display.  We rang the garage and they had to come and get the car, fault with the onboard computer apparently.  The guy who collected the car said they'd had a few issues like this, I commented at the time how much fun that would be on the M6 on a Friday afternoon.

• Haha 1