Cost of living crisis

Bender

8 hours ago, Bianco2564 said:

Heard on the news today, the wholesale price of gas is falling due to over supply?

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/europe-gas-prices-mostly-fall-on-possible-over-supply/

There are reports of gas tankers waiting for unloading around Europe because there is no storage capacity.

In the meanwhile, the idiotic Macron is stopping the connection from Sines in Portugal to supply Europe because he wants the main entrance to be in the Mediterranean. Not only is further away for the tankers to travel but they will have the Gibraltar straight to cross which is already pretty busy as it is.

One new expression that I have heard in recent days (and refers to a earlier post I've made) is called reduflation.

In simple terms, reduflation is the act of selling a product for the same price but with less product inside.

In UK this happens a lot with innumerous products some more obvious than others.

A 800g loaf is now 600g. 

What would be a 450g package of chicken is now 250g

A more subtle "reduflation" is toilet paper that not only the rolls are narrower and smaller, but the density of the paper is lower.

Followed advice from Which? about turning down the central heating by a degree, reducing washes and dishwashing by making sure they are full and on economy modes, shorter showers and compared to July to Sept last year, we are using about 20% less electricity and gas. Surprised at the difference.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Throttled said:

Followed advice from Which? about turning down the central heating by a degree, reducing washes and dishwashing by making sure they are full and on economy modes, shorter showers and compared to July to Sept last year, we are using about 20% less electricity and gas. Surprised at the difference.

We haven't turned the heating on yet. We don't use the dishwasher and only use the tumble drier for bedding which is once a week. 

Our bills are still nearly three times what we were spending last year. 

Next week my father will be staying as my mother is still in hospital. We had to put the heating on when he was last here so that's going to be expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We haven't turned the heating on yet. We don't use the dishwasher and only use the tumble drier for bedding which is once a week. 

Our bills are still nearly three times what we were spending last year. 

Next week my father will be staying as my mother is still in hospital. We had to put the heating on when he was last here so that's going to be expensive. 

We are at double what it cost last year, but take off the subsidy and it is not too bad. The heating goes on in the evening for a few hours, but the boiler is not on for more than it is on. How do you dry clothes without heating or tumble drying?

5 minutes ago, Throttled said:

We are at double what it cost last year, but take off the subsidy and it is not too bad. The heating goes on in the evening for a few hours, but the boiler is not on for more than it is on. How do you dry clothes without heating or tumble drying?

We are on fixed rate till next April but we have been practicing energy conservation, I'm going to stump up for a heat pump tumble dryer in preparation 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 13:22, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I see Shell's profits have risen by £4 billion from £4.2bn to £8.2bn 

I think most of that is our house.

we are just getting ripped off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bender said:

We are on fixed rate till next April but we have been practicing energy conservation, I'm going to stump up for a heat pump tumble dryer in preparation 

We bought a Bosch heat pump dryer a couple of months ago.

Mrs grumbled at first because it took 3 times as long but now she's got used to it.

Another benefit is the heat given off by the dryer is kept in the house and warms the utility room up.

It's going to take time to recover the £500 we spent on it but the sooner you ditch the inefficient B rated machine the better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

We bought a Bosch heat pump dryer a couple of months ago.

Mrs grumbled at first because it took 3 times as long but now she's got used to it.

Another benefit is the heat given off by the dryer is kept in the house and warms the utility room up.

It's going to take time to recover the £500 we spent on it but the sooner you ditch the inefficient B rated machine the better.

Ours is built in, not such a great choice but it's getting changed, I've worked out they take longer but its a bit like air con in reverse so uses less Leccy than current tumble dryer 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Throttled said:

How do you dry clothes without heating or tumble drying?

We have a covered outdoor clothes line which we use as much as possible. When necessary we use a dessicant dehumidifier in the utility room. It uses very little power to dry clothes very effectively.

• Like 1

Never actually heard of heat pump dryers until now. 

Certainly considering one after a look into it. Apart from the electric cost difference it will also save having the utility room window open with the hose hanging out. That room gets cold quickly!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

We have a covered outdoor clothes line which we use as much as possible. When necessary we use a dessicant dehumidifier in the utility room. It uses very little power to dry clothes very effectively.

same here

17 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Save water - shower with a friend.

@Tiggie and @Bender already do that on a thursday night after a meal of noodles with no clothes on   .... The Naughty Noodle Nudie Night, they call it.

Weirdos or what

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Six30 said:

@Tiggie and @Bender already do that on a thursday night after a meal of noodles with no clothes on   .... The Naughty Noodle Nudie Night, they call it.

Weirdos or what

Jealousy is a terrible trait, I’m sure if you ask nicely they’ll let you join in 😆

• Haha 2

On 28/10/2022 at 19:36, Throttled said:

Clothes airer only thing is they stay up for yonks 

• Like 3