What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Rode it round N Waled which was fun. Apart from one petrol stop where the Bobber just didn't want to start. The needle did the usual sweep then pressing the starter resulted in nothing apart from the trips and clock resetting to zero. This is a known sign of the ECU getting low voltage. After switching off and back on it started fine and did so for the rest of the day.

I may have a bad connection or it may be the first sign of the OEM battery being on its way out. Most guys seems to have the OEM battery fail within a very short time, mine is still the original.

The Yuasu replacement is a YTX9-BS costing about £50. I have a spare YTZ10S which is virtually the same size, very slightly less height by 12mm, but is rated higher cold cranking amps. The YTZ10S cost £155. If I can't see a loose connection I might try bunging in the spare battery and see how that works.

So this morning I took the battery out which turns out to be a Yuasa as factory fitted. Not sure why so many guys say they are having their batteries failing so quickly as Yuasa are usually pretty decent batteries.

Everything was clean but I gave all the connections and terminals a going over with a copper brush in my Dremel. Then I spotted that the earth strap doesn't actually bolt directly to the frame, it runs to a bracket which is in turn bolted to the frame. When I took that off it was clean but it has a dark finish to it. I'm old school and for a good earth that means shiny metal. So I cleaned that up and gave it a smear of copper grease.

It seems to start a bit crisper so I'm hoping it was just a dodgy connection that was playing up. The battery seems fine.

Earth bracket.jpg

• Like 4

Spent the afternoon having an IAM taster ride. From my memory of the Bikesafe course I completed last year, it's very close as the principles are along the same lines. 

I just need to convine myself I should now do the complete course.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Throttled said:

Took my two nephews and my son out for pillion rides. Not in the style of India or the Far East, where we all went at the same time. Just one at a time.

You could have saved a bit of time and fuel doing it the indian way and put a load of shopping on there too whilst wearing sandals! 

• Haha 1

Does anyone know who fits the battery I to a new bike? Is it fitted at the factory or does the dealer install it as part of the commissioning?

The reason I'm asking is a lot of Triumph owners are complaining of poor quality batteries. One guy had three within as many weeks. 

Mine has a Yuasa as OEM so I suspect it was fitted at the dealership rather than at the factory. If Triumph were fitting those as standard I can't see why so many fail 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Does anyone know who fits the battery I to a new bike? Is it fitted at the factory or does the dealer install it as part of the commissioning?

The reason I'm asking is a lot of Triumph owners are complaining of poor quality batteries. One guy had three within as many weeks. 

Mine has a Yuasa as OEM so I suspect it was fitted at the dealership rather than at the factory. If Triumph were fitting those as standard I can't see why so many fail 

I believe the bikes are crated partially assembled with oil in but the dealer has to fit some items including the battery ready to go out the door.

This was certainly the case with Suzuki when I worked there and I believe all Japanese bikes are the same.

So I would expect that it is still standard practice.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

1980 Kawasaki Z500 out of winter storage, battery on and fresh petrol. Fired up great. Last Nov mixed a few litres of old fuel with oil from the remnants of the oil bottles when changing oil on bikes and car. Placed in tank and carbs on this and the Bandit. When drained out not a lot had evaporated and was not discoloured. Will do the same this Autumn.

Did a few miles to the petrol shop and back to bed in the new Avon Roadriders. The bike now has it's Gold wheels refitted after i stripped and repainted them this winter. The Std black wheels can now go back on the spare Z if it ever gets rebuilt. Blasted and repainted the discs and replated all the bolts, spindles etc while i was at it, plus new wheel bearings. have included a PDF of the whole job instead of boring everyone with a separate post in the other sections.

Will start on the Bandit later this week.

happy reading.

Rob B

Gold wheels only.pdf

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Discovered the Honda's MOT ran out last November. 😳

It has always been in May but during the lockdown that got pushed back to November and I lost track of it. 

Just as well you didn't have an off or insurance would've been rubbing their hands with glee.

I wish my life was as exciting…..

sat nav now fitted and just to add to the thrill of it all and in a bid to try and stay awake. I oiled the chain. By hand, with a cute little paint brush as I like making work. Why anyone would spend good money on an oiler when they can be on their knees in all weathers and end up with filthy hands - beats me completely!!

sweet.

EF175A2C-7C00-4ABF-9426-C20DED20B4BE.thumb.jpeg.6f5ff3f2140e89d5df3b7ce5beeb66b8.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Just as well you didn't have an off or insurance would've been rubbing their hands with glee.

You're not wrong. I only spotted it because I thought the MOT was due in May as usual and was checking the date. It's booked in for Thursday morning. 

I'm surprised I didn't get pulled by plod as it's used almost daily. 

• Like 1

Quick bumble out to the local airfield today, Halfpenny Green. Standby for another airfield pic later may take an afternoon trip out to Shobdon or Wellesbourne

IMG_20220427_113816.jpg

Edited by MikeHorton

A tele of 2 airfields Shobdon was a lot more busy nice coffee and cake too! The Shorts Skyvan was just taking off as I arrived, quite a rare sight I think this one is normally based at Brize Norton used for skydiving. 

Over the past few days not today! 

I noticed some water ingress in my fog lights! Which is not good for a sealed unit! 

I stripped the lights down and removed the light unit and left it in the airing cupboard to dry out 

Inspected it for cracks etc and there was nothing! The only other way water can get in is by running down the cable and through the connector so I put liberal amounts of silicone grease on the connectors and adjusted the wiring to put a "U" bend in it to allow water to drip off 

• Like 1

Put my big boy pants on today and did my first puncture repair 😲😃

Seems wrong to make a hole the size of a biro to fit the sticky rope things, when the original hole was tiny.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Over the past few days not today! 

I noticed some water ingress in my fog lights! Which is not good for a sealed unit! 

I stripped the lights down and removed the light unit and left it in the airing cupboard to dry out 

Inspected it for cracks etc and there was nothing! The only other way water can get in is by running down the cable and through the connector so I put liberal amounts of silicone grease on the connectors and adjusted the wiring to put a "U" bend in it to allow water to drip off 

I've previously dropped a small silica gel bag in the light on a piece of cotton leave for a few days to make sure all the moisture is gone. 

17 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I've previously dropped a small silica gel bag in the light on a piece of cotton leave for a few days to make sure all the moisture is gone. 

I wish I could but the actual LED light is sealed 

These are what they look like

37767645695_b460f95413_b.jpg

38655160131_d7f304b023_b.jpg

sanjoh2002_BMW_KTMLEDs_zpsf401c44a.jpg

On 26/04/2022 at 08:12, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Discovered the Honda's MOT ran out last November. 😳

It has always been in May but during the lockdown that got pushed back to November and I lost track of it. 

Did the same with my R1 earlier this month.

Put a new front tyre on it and went to tax it to go for a spin , only to find the computer said no. Mot ran out last October.

It had always been in June as I bought it in July with 11 months MOT.

Honestly don't remember letting it move back during lockdown.