What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

On 24/05/2022 at 20:45, bonio said:

I'd be interested to know how you get on with it @Gerontious

Tested it yesterday on a dual carriageway and it works.

Obviously its not a 'cruise control' as it doesn't maintain a set speed to account for hills.. so the bike will slow down going uphill and speed up going down. But.. as the throttle is not 'locked' only held by friction, its easy enough to adjust the throttle position to account for this. On the flat.. it works just fine.

I went for this one because its a simple button press 'on' - 'off'. And the thumb-button action is very 'positive' not something you can do by accident. or release by accident either.

The alternative means rolling a gadget at the bar-end, which looks a bit awkward to me. Though Im sure it works just fine. They are certainly very popular. Kaoko being the widely sold brand. - With that one you replace the standard bar-end weight with the gadget. which you may or may not like the idea of.

It will just make for a more relaxing ride for the two mostly motorway/autobahn days coming up.

There is an aftermarket cruise control available for my bike, but it costs £600 plus fitting. Or I could replace the bike with the latest model and increase my current debt by £6000. I don't think I would want to pay that for a feature that for me has very limited use. The only time I use motorways is when on tour. To get to and from the Tunnel and then to Neuerburg. Or as is coming up, down to Austria.

I will likely take it off when we get back and just store it away until next time. As its not something I need for normal day to day. (I don't commute or use motorways at all - normally)

Edited by Gerontious
clarification.
  • Like 1

Just sat looking at mine can't ride it for a week after a hospital procedure, and currently not drinking, and trying to eat as healthy as possible. Looks like it's a case of enjoying the garden and loads of tv😭

• Sad 2

After I fitted the Garmin XT, went for a little ride to J&S at Oakmere Cheshire. Got talking to a few bikers who were heading off to Germany. Now sat with a glass of vino mulling over my travel options 🤔

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pie man said:

After I fitted the Garmin XT, went for a little ride to J&S at Oakmere Cheshire. Got talking to a few bikers who were heading off to Germany. Now sat with a glass of vino mulling over my travel options 🤔

How are you finding the XT & did you connect using a switched live or direct to the battery? 

1 hour ago, V650 said:

How are you finding the XT & did you connect using a switched live or direct to the battery? 

Hello - I have it connected using the switched live (Behind the headlight on the KTM). Not really put it to any real test as yet. It is far more advanced than the old 340 I have been using. I have been using Basecamp for many years with the Garmin 340L on the MT however, Stu has sent a link to a very useful Garmin Forum.

• Like 1

Cheers 

Connected mine directly to the battery as I did not want it switching off every time I stopped for a few mins 

Tried basecamp and find it a bit over the top for what i need too much of a lerning curve for my old brain 

Been trying out the MRA app and was almost tempted to cough up the €69 Annual Gold sub but today there was an another offer of a new Silver Sub @€9.99 a year which has a few more features than the basic free version 

got my zumo a few monts back and still trying to figure it out coming from a TomTom :-)

There is also a zumouserforums site that is quite good if it's not the one stu linked you to 

• Like 1

I have the XT and the real test will come end of next week. Only thing I’ve done that’s a bit different is I’ve created a load of routes and put them onto an SD card. That’s the way I did it on my old 660.

I use basecamp as I find it very simple. I use just one feature. One action or command or whatever you want to call it. So easy. And this on a Mac which it was never properly optimised for!!

one thing I have noticed. Because the XT is an android device it’s not exactly a seamless experience with a Mac computer. Which is why I’ve chosen to use the SD card. There are workarounds but I can’t be bothered. Just format the card. Put a folder on it called Garmin and basecamp treats it as though it’s the actual device itself. My 660 was the same. It’s a method that works perfectly for me.

aside from that fairly minor gripe. It’s a fantastic upgrade from my 2009 660. 

I have it wired to the accessory plug Honda kindly hid away under the instruments which is only live with the ignition on. It’s easy enough to stop it switching itself off when the ignition is off. A simple button press does it.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, V650 said:

A locking device for it would be nice but a bit pricey  

j

They are. But its not something Ive ever worried about. if the bike is going to be out of sight then I remove it, drop it in my helmet and put the gloves on top. or if I have the top case on the bike. lock it in there. The main thing is to ensure its properly 'locked' onto its mount, before you set off.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

It was wet first thing so I was doing a bit of routine maintenance and wondered why I fiddled around with a ruler checking the chain slack. So I made a couple of simple gauges. 

I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier as it makes checking the tension much simpler.

IMG_20220603_101701101.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, billy sugger said:

I use a chain monkey. Brilliant bit of kit and dead easy to use 

I have one of those which is handy for initial setting of the chain when I've had the wheel off. But for routine checks I was using a ruler to measure the slack and it was a bit of a faff 

I is a bad biker.

I feel the snatch when riding, my boots get chain oil on them when I flick the chain and think I should tighten that a tad when I get home.

My hands then get oil on them when I pinch it and think that's about right..

No ruler no guages just mk 1 eye ball...

Big long loop today, started at the 1066 cafe for a bit of brunch, then down to Hastings and on to Newhaven harbour for a spot of lunch. Once that was polished off it was down to Brighton, Worthing and Littlehampton before returning home. 

Nice way to empty the tank and put some fresh super in. ;)

1 hour ago, onesea said:

I is a bad biker.

I feel the snatch when riding, my boots get chain oil on them when I flick the chain and think I should tighten that a tad when I get home.

My hands then get oil on them when I pinch it and think that's about right..

No ruler no guages just mk 1 eye ball...

Simon Cowell Pron GIF by America's Got Talent

Just got back home from a six hour ride out, so much for chilling out today :lol:

Basic route give or take various detours and and a bit of exploring, Home to Pocklington, Stamford Bridge ( went down Garrowby Hill ), Castle Howard, Helmsley, Pickering, Scarborough, Bridlington and the A614 home again, had three 10 minute stops in total, not sure on mileage done but only have a few miles left before Xena has hit the 10000 mark :thumb:

• Like 4

On 02/06/2022 at 13:39, V650 said:

There is also a zumouserforums site that is quite good if it's not the one stu linked you to 

I thought I recognised your username from somewhere! 

Yes I have sent him the link to the other forum I run :lol: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bud said:

Over the last couple of days I wanted to remove these exhaust bolts. Would rather do it now, than the middle of the winter, when I might be forced to.

52119008487_72a65d2da6_c.jpg

managed to get one out, the other snapped. So grinding, drilling, and tapping sorted it.

52120287539_84bd8858cb_c.jpg

I bet you heaved a sigh of relief when they came out ok. 

12 hours ago, bud said:

Over the last couple of days I wanted to remove these exhaust bolts. Would rather do it now, than the middle of the winter, when I might be forced to.

52119008487_72a65d2da6_c.jpg

managed to get one out, the other snapped. So grinding, drilling, and tapping sorted it.

52120287539_84bd8858cb_c.jpg

I would have thought they would break off for sure 

Well Done :-)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, V650 said:

I would have thought they would break off for sure 

Well Done :-)

One of them did. They were so corroded the threads were only about half the size at the head they should of been.

• Like 1