What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Pushed it over. Like right over. Trying to get it on a paddock stand. What a donkey.

No actually damage. Just a few scrapes, which I can pretend were earned heriocly.

Any ideas what's best to pain over the black metal bits (like the brake pedal) that are now scraped and showing shiny metal? 

7 minutes ago, bonio said:

Pushed it over. Like right over. Trying to get it on a paddock stand. What a donkey.

No actually damage. Just a few scrapes, which I can pretend were earned heriocly.

Any ideas what's best to pain over the black metal bits (like the brake pedal) that are now scraped and showing shiny metal? 

Hammerite? 

Mine went over a week ago when I left it to open the garage door. Took out the hand guard and an indicator 🙄

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

If it's matt black I use Halfords high temperature black enamel. That has a nice matt finish.

I use that or matt black Hammerite to repaint my centre stand every year. Winter seems to wreck it and I reckon next year it'll be due replacement .

Just waiting for next months rota to appear so I can book the bike in to have my new sat nav wired in and the old one removed, not something I want to DIY as the switched feed is hidden away. (and Im lazy)

Been looking at inner bags for the panniers as a certain posh git who will remain nameless has been bragging about his newly bought ones and we can't have that. (can we?) who knew that pannier bag envy could possibly be a thing. Also Ive been looking a pretty roads. (and my savings account) 

SS243.png

• Like 2

Good news!... Finished fixing by lads 125 after it was stolen so went out for a dad and lad ride.

Bad news! .. 10 minutes in he hit a small patch of diesel on a roundabout and slid off!

Only real damage was a bruised knee and his pride.

• Sad 3

Gave my son in law permission to use my bike for a few days while his is off the road for maintenance.  In payment he'll overhaul my brakes and renew the pistons. Not as if I'll be using it before mid June - if I'm lucky.

• Like 1

Back to Bridgestone tyre on the Pan.

The new T32 and for the first 50 miles it is a treat :thumb: 

Goodbye 40mph wobble🙂 

Edited by husoi
  • Like 2

Got a new pair of tyres fitted to the Silverwing, a set of Bridgestone Hoops.

That's what I had fitted to the rear previously and it lasted 7000miles.

The rims were looking pretty rough so cleaned them up and for a change from the std silver, painted them satin black.

20220409_172730.jpg

20220409_172742.jpg

• Like 1

Spent a happy afternoon replating the disc bolts for the Z500's repainted gold wheels, they are now in the oven for a few hours to avoid any Hydrogen embrittlement in these High tensile bolts after plating.

2077744206_allbolts.thumb.JPG.618a93aa436057134e1088ca413fe906.JPG

here are the wheels before lacquer and unmasking.

335397437_02-wheelbrasspaintbeforelacqure.thumb.jpg.38d9ee4d0d9b13371dd7acd4a63cfc2d.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi @linuxrob did you do a thread on the kit and methods you use for your plating?

I would be very interested in learning how easy and cost effective it is?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, have done quite a bit now with the proprietary chemicals from Gateros plating nr Lincoln. will have to amend or do another thread with my experiences. but in a nutshell it is a good system and for me it is cost effective as i can do little and often, i.e. front wheel out , will do the spindle nuts brake bolts and mudguard bolt in one session the a few month later do the back wheel stuff as and when it comes to bits. 

My main reason for doing this as opposed to farming the job out is I want to do as much as i can myself and reuse as much as i can of the original bikes and not loose anything. I have not got the space of inclination to strip everything and keep it laying around till the bolts come back and then start reassembly i have to do sections at a time even with the whole bike to do.

It is a absolute faff to plate zinc parts like this but the results are as good as send away ( have to be creative about doing big long spindles though.

Cost wise chemicals and anodes are around £60.00 I use my own psu and pump and so far have done the best part of 3 bikes and other non bike bits too and still have 75% of the anodes left and just decant and filter the solution. So far it just costs me time and effort. I would have to do a good job cleaning the parts before sending away to keep the platers happy.

tank.thumb.JPG.c7e8c8368abe4f539aa36a3cc5077219.JPG

• Like 3

Rode it. So sick of sitting at home doing nought, mainly due to a complete lack of funds to do anything else, (my fault, losing job during first lock down) everywhere I went though there was bloody roadworks/diversions of one kind or another. Ended up doing Salcey Forest, Stoke Bruine, and lots of bendy bits in between. Couldn't get into any kind of flow though, too much other traffic, so took the edge off somewhat, but at least the weather was good 

Edited by billy sugger
Spelling