RATS

onesea

Any suggestions on dealing with...  We cannot poison due to having 2 dogs.

We believe they are living under decking / flooring that we could do without ripping up.  Have blocked easy access into garden (under gate) on the hope that the dog that appears to be intrested in them will give them a scare if caught in the open...

We have 2 traps down, got one rat after several weeks but believe there to be more.

Guest Richzx6r

Bar me coming down to you with an air rifle and shooting the buggers (which I'm more than happy to do for free) you could try a small cage filled with bait and a one way door in to it from any access holes

We've got half a dozen of these dotted around our warehouse. Bloody brilliant - batteries last for ages, and a fried ratty is much easier to dispose of than one that's had its brains blown out with an air rifle. :thumb:

IMG_1841.JPG

• Like 3

A cat will be no match for a rat, best course of action is a water trap, basically a big bucket half filled with water with a bridge over it that tips and drops down when it has any decent weight on it.

Another option is to get another dog like a Jack russell which have a natural instinct for ratting.

Or as mentioned air rifle, you can get some decent kit nowaday's for very little money :thumb:

Ask these guy's on here if you fancy some pest control :classic_laugh:

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php

8 hours ago, bonio said:

Thought about getting a cat? Needs to be a proper cat, not a soft southern one.

Problem is we have 2 dog's or we would continue with poison.

One dog would leave dead rats alone, the new one has some ratting instinct.

Although is being defeated by rat runs under decking and behind/ in log stores. These are probably 1/3 of the garden area.

I have blocked the gap under the gate so if caught in open dog might have a chance. Also removes easy entrance/ escape run for the rats.

Tonight after work I will be lifting some decking to check lid of see drain through back garden. Not certain if they are getting in through there.

Have ordered 5 more traps. I think I will be spending some time in my next days off making decking liftable so we can check easily.

• Like 2

I started off by taking an air rifle to the ones that were in the warehouse, but it's only effective for as long as you're prepared to sit there blapping them, and it quickly gets boring. It can be a messy affair, too.

With the electronic zapper you just bait it with something suitable (I conducted extensive confectionary testing based on what I could pinch from the staff canteen, and found that those tiny Mars Bars out of a box of Cadbury Celebrations seem to work best), place it in a likely looking spot and leave it. We check ours each morning - there's even a flashing green light on the top to tell you when it needs emptying, so I don't even have to bend down to look inside! Perfect for a lazy arse like me!

Edited by MarkW
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, onesea said:

Problem is we have 2 dog's or we would continue with poison.

One dog would leave dead rats alone, the new one has some ratting instinct.

Although is being defeated by rat runs under decking and behind/ in log stores. These are probably 1/3 of the garden area.

I have blocked the gap under the gate so if caught in open dog might have a chance. Also removes easy entrance/ escape run for the rats.

Tonight after work I will be lifting some decking to check lid of see drain through back garden. Not certain if they are getting in through there.

Have ordered 5 more traps. I think I will be spending some time in my next days off making decking liftable so we can check easily.

Poison is not good idea if u have a dogs. U will poison your dogs and rats will stay, except if you continue to poison them for a long time.Traps are good solution, as many u can get, rats are multiplying by geometrical progression.

Air rifle is ok if you have nothing else to do and stay there all day long.

Anyway I believe u should remove decking because they probably have nest or hiding place for winter. U have to destroy it and also remove the sent by chemicals so other rats will not come to use it.

17 hours ago, MarkW said:

We've got half a dozen of these dotted around our warehouse. Bloody brilliant - batteries last for ages, and a fried ratty is much easier to dispose of than one that's had its brains blown out with an air rifle. :thumb:

IMG_1841.JPG

Yep they are brilliant ...

Apart from when the victim soils itself and this causes the circuit to reenergise constantly ...

I swear one day the victim will be resuscitated ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, raesewell said:

Sack the dogs and get a proper ratter dog, Jack Russells can make good ratters. If by chance you already have a Jack Russell stop feeding it for a day or two.

You got it! That's what they use here.......and I've seen them in action! Very impressive!

My hounds are loveable the big one is an oaf (think Goofy) more likely to flatten a rat trying to play with it, the other has some ratting intent..  

The gaps between the decking don't give the dogs or much chance.  The garden is to small for Air Weapons.

The problem with ditching decking is we end up with cold stone back yard, present set up is nice to sit in in the summer..  Our neighbours have gone all stone and regretted it. 

The gaps between the decking don't give the dogs or much chance.  The garden is to small for Air Weapons.

Will look at one of the larger electronic traps and toilet blocks.

Drill 20mm hole in decking ... purchase a quantity of wheat or oats,  farm supplies shop or horse supplies ... soak in neat anti freeze for 4 days ... with a funnel pour mixture under decking ... dogs will be fine .... no more rats ... or dead rats under the decking ... they will seek out water ... and die ... 

11 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Drill 20mm hole in decking ... purchase a quantity of wheat or oats,  farm supplies shop or horse supplies ... soak in neat anti freeze for 4 days ... with a funnel pour mixture under decking ... dogs will be fine .... no more rats ... or dead rats under the decking ... they will seek out water ... and die ... 

that sound genius, just curiosity, have you test it ?

12 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

... they will seek out water ... and die ... 

Oh don't tell me of the seeking out water they will chew through any plastic pipes in desperate effort to find water.  The damage done can be considerable,  if your going to poison rats leave them an easy supply of water...