What would you lubricate a lock with?

Beans

It's getting more difficult to get the key in the lock of my Givi top box. The top box is pretty new, couple of months old. The key now only goes in bit by bit and it feels stuck. All I can think of is that the lock barrel needs oiling. Any advice? 3in one? Wd40? Graphite powder?

Clean lock out first with a drying cleaner or blast of compressed air 

Then either small amount of graphite powder or pencil rub

dont just add lubricant as that will just add to the crud in the lock .... Clean and dry first

Guest Richzx6r
6 minutes ago, geofferz said:

I know that wd40 isn't a lube but it works on locks just fine - done it loads of times 

I bet your mistress loves using wd40 as lube

WD40 is able to free up sticky locks because of the high solvent levels in it. But having got it free you need to get something in there to provide lubrication and keep it free.

I quite like cycle spray with teflon for locks. But a small amount of any decent oil seems to work fine. I know people get their knickers in a twist that oil will attract crud but I've never found that to be an issue. Most locks have a plate to seal out dirt. 

Any form of liquid lubricant will be fine at first, but as dirt dust and grit get attracted you are back where you started. To clean out the liquid lubricants use a good squirt of aerosol degreaser or contact cleaner, wait for it to dry then use my previously suggested powdered graphite or wax or PTFE spray.

• Thanks 1

A tiny amount of this.

https://www.toolstation.com/lithium-grease/p89691?searchstr=grease

Perfect even if the lock is open to elements.

Use it on the shed's padlock, last time I've applied it was well over 6 months ago. Keep in mind that's Scotland weather :thumb: 

19 minutes ago, Marino said:

Graphite from pencil, 👍

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE IN YOUR IGNITION LOCK. It makes and breaks electrical connections and graphite is a conductor of electricity. it's a good choice as a "dry" lube for other locks but not ones with switches in. 

The interior grade lock I used on the boat I filled with grease when I installed it 6 years ago.  Lock is fine the key kept in locker on board is rusty as.
Might have to replace the lock as I don't know if you can copy a key that rusty!

2 hours ago, jedibiker said:

I cleaned my lock with brake cleaner, then soaked in acf50 before adding a little oil. I realise the oil may just move the remains on the acf50, but will see

ACF is remarkably resilient, between coatings I spend some time trying to clean it off my wing mirrors...

• Like 1