E10 Fuel - be warned...

Turbogirlie

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think its just petrol that can strip unprotected paint rather than the ethanol content! 

Hence why there is petrol resistant lacquer  

Being a dinosaur and only having dinky little arms I regularly slop petrol when filling. It's never affected the paintwork. The matt black plastic trim sometimes gets a whiteish bloom but it fades off after a day or so. I'd prefer not to slop as it's wasted money.

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Being a dinosaur and only having dinky little arms I regularly slop petrol when filling. It's never affected the paintwork. The matt black plastic trim sometimes gets a whiteish bloom but it fades off after a day or so. I'd prefer not to slop as it's wasted money.

But your bike has paintwork thats protected by lacquer so you won't have an issue at all 

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Did we lose the point of the original post somewhere? Nothing to do with whether your bike / lawnmower* / whatever is capable of running using the damned stuff, but the potential damage to unprotected surfaces. Having had to replace the screen on my bike at great expense, I think it’s a valid point.

* I do need to check my lawnmowers (yes, I have four - I used to be a gardener, and we have a lot of grass to cut here 🤔). 

OK as you don’t seem to appreciate thread drift even when it’s relevant; in 12 years of using E10 none of my vehicles have ever suffered from paintwork problems because of spillage. It’s simply scaremongering. 

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Christ on a crutch. I know the bloody bike will run on E10. If I'm somewhere where there's only E10 I'll use it. IMO it runs a bit rougher. I prefer E5 it's my bloody choice. Yes I'm a dinosaur - what are you? 

Oh dear you are touchy. Nobody has ever suggested that you don’t have a choice. My point is an£ al2ays was that your bike will run perfectly on E10 despite your protestations. 

1 hour ago, DuRavary said:

OK as you don’t seem to appreciate thread drift even when it’s relevant; in 12 years of using E10 none of my vehicles have ever suffered from paintwork problems because of spillage. It’s simply scaremongering. 

Drift ? More like a dinghy in a storm…

The whole “will my bike run on E10?” has been done to death elsewhere… it’s the new tyre and choice of oil topic!  

Back on topic.. It may not affect lacquer protected pain, but unprotected plastic… my screen from my recent mishap in Scotland. It may be a general petrol effect, and maybe E10 is coincidental…

9AE7AA49-F266-41DE-BD54-428B8DF23908.jpeg

• Sad 1

I'm intrigued how you get petrol onto your screen?

I sometimes find that the previous customer has left petrol in the nozzle which leaks out as you tip the nozzle towards the bike. I developed the habit of always inverting the nozzle before going anywhere near the bike.

Ethanol is a solvent, Petrol is also a solvent, there is more solvent in the petrol now, just about any engine that runs on unleaded will run fine on it, it's the eating of rubber and the deterioration of gaskets that's the issue. 

Petrol engines were designed to run on petrol funny enough, the increase of ethanol will increase the risk of degradation to older engines and fuel delivery systems which were not designed with ethanol in mind. 

It's the end of the world, not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'm intrigued how you get petrol onto your screen?

I sometimes find that the previous customer has left petrol in the nozzle which leaks out as you tip the nozzle towards the bike. I developed the habit of always inverting the nozzle before going anywhere near the bike.

A combination of impatience, stupidity and clumsiness. 

Filling the bike, the last couple of litres or so require more patience than I have. I eased the nozzle up towards the opening to see how full the tank was and misjudged (yes, I should have stopped the flow of fuel). In my haste to put the nozzle back in the hole I caught the lip of the filler causing some fuel to spray (recall the Ewan and Charlie incident - a bit like that). It was probably less than a cap full, and I was lucky it didn’t spray in my direction. 

• Sad 1

I have on occasions wiped my bikes down with a fuel soaked rag (after wringing it out), and it has never done any damage to my screens, yet using clutch cleaner will fog the plastic/perspex if you get that on it

33 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

A combination of impatience, stupidity and clumsiness. 

Filling the bike, the last couple of litres or so require more patience than I have. I eased the nozzle up towards the opening to see how full the tank was and misjudged (yes, I should have stopped the flow of fuel). In my haste to put the nozzle back in the hole I caught the lip of the filler causing some fuel to spray (recall the Ewan and Charlie incident - a bit like that). It was probably less than a cap full, and I was lucky it didn’t spray in my direction. 

I'm am guessing yours is the same design as mine is on the RT and it's a pain in the arse! 

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I'm am guessing yours is the same design as mine is on the RT and it's a pain in the arse! 

Probably. The filler is high and you need to ensure the nozzle is vertical, which is an acquired skill, otherwise the damn thing keeps cutting out while the bike’s still only half full.

20 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Probably. The filler is high and you need to ensure the nozzle is vertical, which is an acquired skill, otherwise the damn thing keeps cutting out while the bike’s still only half full.

Yup and the spout is just about big enough for the nozzle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

The whole “will my bike run on E10?” has been done to death elsewhere… it’s the new tyre and choice of oil topic!  

Back on topic.. It may not affect lacquer protected pain, but unprotected plastic… my screen from my recent mishap in Scotland. It may be a general petrol effect, and maybe E10 is coincidental…

Did you manage to repair the screen? … I would imagine that the petrol has only damaged the surface. 

5 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

You have to trickle mine to fill it without it spraying everywhere

I know a few of the guys I ride with have tiny filling holes in their tank so filling up has to be done really slowly. I don't understand why the manufacturers do it that way.

The CBF has a huge hole straight into the tank, the Bobber has a plate inside the filler but the hole is large enough to get the nozzle into the tank. But my mates have to stand with the nozzle held off the plate because the hole is smaller than the nozzle.

13 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

Did you manage to repair the screen? … I would imagine that the petrol has only damaged the surface. 

I’ve bought a replacement off eBay. I’m sure the damage is fixable with a bit of time and effort - I used a couple of mildly abrasive polishes and it is less obvious where I’ve done it. As we’re currently renovating our house and have much to do on the garden, spare time and effort is in short supply. 

4 hours ago, Steve_M said:

T cut should clean that off ...

Petrol engines were designed to run on petrol funny enough,

And what is petrol? That was a problem in F1 in, I believe, the ‘80s when the rules stated simply that the engines had to run on petrol but there was no definition of what petrol meant. Some of the ‘petrol’ being used wouldn’t burn if a lighted match eas dropped on it. The refined petroleum products mixed with many additives including ethanol sold as petrol is as much petrol as the five star leaded used in the dim and distant past. 

I've been buying petrol since the 80's I've yet to find any that wouldn't  Instantly ignite with the introduction of a match, if your dropping it into a tank and there is no oxygen it's simply not going to do anything, watch out for the vapour as you drop it in though.