E10 Fuel - be warned...

Turbogirlie

25 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

BMW owners might have some grounds for not taking the manufacturer at their word. A long time ago a lot of BMWs with alloy engines were recalled as a "precautionary measure". Our neighbour sent his three month old car in and was told it would be a few days before he got it back. 

When it came back he didn't notice any difference until he asked his independent mechanic to take a look under the bonnet. Lo and behold his all alloy engine had suddenly developed a cast iron engine block. 

The BMW nicasil liner issue is over 20 years old which they fixed for your neighbour at the time so i see that as a positive on BMs response ,just fixing a design fault, same reason why some old Porsche cayenne v8s are so cheap. Have to say BMW are pretty good with their recalls, my 2003 car had airbags done in 2018 and my mrs 2005 120d just had a recall on a bit of wiring.

Bmw weren't the only ones to suffer liner failure. 

I have a mate who's had had m3s for as long as I can remember, he's always put the cheapest fuel going in and had 0 issues relating to fuel, it's driven hard everywhere, his son has had a. M4 for a few years now and that's the same, they've not noticed any difference in performance or the 12mpg they get whilst using e10. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bender said:

Bmw weren't the only ones to suffer liner failure. 

I have a mate who's had had m3s for as long as I can remember, he's always put the cheapest fuel going in and had 0 issues relating to fuel, it's driven hard everywhere, his son has had a. M4 for a few years now and that's the same, they've not noticed any difference in performance or the 12mpg they get whilst using e10. 

Early Jag v8s also suffered.

I've run my M3 on 95 for 10000 miles without a related problems and about 500 so far on e10.

Thankfully I get better than 12mpg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

The BMW nicasil liner issue is over 20 years old which they fixed for your neighbour at the time so i see that as a positive on BMs response ,just fixing a design fault, same reason why some old Porsche cayenne v8s are so cheap. Have to say BMW are pretty good with their recalls, my 2003 car had airbags done in 2018 and my mrs 2005 120d just had a recall on a bit of wiring.

The reason our neighbour was miffed is because he bought a car with an alloy engine and ended up with a cast iron engine block which wasn't made clear to him at the time. 

55 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The reason our neighbour was miffed is because he bought a car with an alloy engine and ended up with a cast iron engine block which wasn't made clear to him at the time. 

If your neighbour bought the BM, (E36 325 era?) specifically because it had an aluminium cyl block and change to the iron block wasn't explained then yes I can see why he would be miffed. But the fact he drove it afterwards without noticing any difference and someone had to point it out would suggest he didn't.

Sure there would be a minor weight penalty, but no more than 1/4 tank of fuel.

On 30/10/2021 at 13:35, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I remember when unleaded was first introduced. The number of mechanics with stories of how it was causing breakdowns led to some people fearing the worst. Strangely that seems not have been the case after all.

In those days the cars rusted to bits any ended up I the scrap yard before the valve seats wore away 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Bender said:

If you had a lancia it may have rusted away before you started it 😂 

Or an Alfa … especially the Sud !!

Mate of mine had one, spent loads on fixing the engine because the head warped, only for it to be condemned at its next  MoT

I have so far had no issues at all running my bikes on E10. But there is a bit in this video by FortNine about carbs vs injectors which raises a question about fuel with higher levels of ethanol. 

As ever he asks the really important questions, such as if you ride a bike with carbs, how often do you need to pull your knob?

On 08/10/2021 at 19:23, PaulCa said:

I'm going to go with "bollocks".

You are looking at an increase from 5% to 10% ethanol.  That is not suddenly going to turn your petrol into paint stripper.

Also, what do you think "Panel wipes" are?  Yep, they are 99% pure ethanol (actually Isopropanol).

If you have paint dissolved by alcohol you should have bought a modern bike and not a Harley! (kiddin).

Thanks for the support with your comments.

I am qualified in stating what happened, I was there and you were not. 

Remind me not to bother anymore.

On 09/10/2021 at 20:50, Bender said:

ICSC 0078 - TOLUENE. Highly flammable. Vapour/air mixtures are explosive. NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking.

It is also superb at cleaning hypalon inflatable dinghies prior to applying glue for patches 👍👍

However I also strongly recommend you do not try drinking the stuff 🥵🤢🤮😨

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Turbogirlie said:

Thanks for the support with your comments.

I am qualified in stating what happened, I was there and you were not. 

Remind me not to bother anymore.

You are correct.  You are qualified in stating what happened.  That's an observation.  What you are not providing is enough information to support your claim this is caused by E10 fuel.

I would suggest it is extremely unlikely.  You could test to see if normal E0 or E5 dissolves the same paint?  

If raw petrol, E5, E10 or panel wipes removes the paint, then the problem is the paint surely, not the fluid as all these exist in their environment.

Just done a fuel consumption test on the Silverwing with E10, brimming the tank and refilling to the same point.

It did 52mpg , exactly the same as its done for the last 2.5 years on E5 ,on the same round trip Rugby to Banbury.

• Thanks 1

I really don't bother checking mpg on the bikes, I've run both on E10 without problems. But the Bobber is going to used less over the winter so I filled it up with E5 yesterday. 

Honda say the CBF being carbs may show some starting issues in cold weather, but so far so good.

I do find the car is giving less mpg with E10. The average range for a full tank has dropped slightly. But as I've said before, bikes and cars have different engine management systems. 

Had a look on bank statements and I last put fuel (E10) in the car on 7th October. £37

A month later & Dashboard says I still have 175 miles worth left, I think I'll cope with any reduced mileage E10 provides :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here. I noticed someone getting a little agitated because in a chat about petrol, and paint /perspex being affected, people had sidetracked slightly and talked about ethanol effects in the engine. Is this usual? If I'm replying to a thread, should I aim to always follow the originator's track? 

8 hours ago, Swede said:

Hello, I'm new here. I noticed someone getting a little agitated because in a chat about petrol, and paint /perspex being affected, people had sidetracked slightly and talked about ethanol effects in the engine. Is this usual? If I'm replying to a thread, should I aim to always follow the originator's track? 

Normal .... Yep ..

Follow the original post .... It helps but after generally 2 pages you have no chance .Its like herding puppies .

Edited by TimR
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Swede said:

What's your favourite biscuit ? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I'd not even open a packet of rich tea biscuits. Horrible things.

Do these come as standard at work?

LN_737988_BP_11.jpg.fefd1ccf60e702acc0a73881d11625eb.jpg

For me now it depends, offers of tea and biscuits. Depends on the job in hand and if I feel the need to wipe my feet in the way in or out...