E10 Fuel - be warned...

Turbogirlie

19 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Why bother? If you're worried just fill with premium E5 before laying it up. I've never had any issue with E5 left over the winter.

Totally agree with you my ZRX (carbed) and Busa (EFI) were both laid up for 12 months with E5 in and both are running fine now, and that was in an unheated garage with no periodic start ups which is normal practise.

Cheers

Ian

My concern is more the 86 shadow than the Pan.

They both always run on premium E5 anyway. 

Last winter I didn't bother with anything and even left the petrol in the tank of both.

However, some members could be interested in the clip. 🙂 

Say that I'm a friendly bugger doing some public service 🤣

Our local Tesco’s says that when the E5 runs out at the distribution centre they won’t be stocking any more, local Morrisons has already stopped selling E5.

Wonder if this is going to happen everywhere?

Just now, Mickly said:

Our local Tesco’s says that when the E5 runs out at the distribution centre they won’t be stocking any more, local Morrisons has already stopped selling E5.

Wonder if this is going to happen everywhere?

Then is time for me to start building a E10 converter :thumb: 

will call it E10 project.

Have a intake tank, a ethanol extractor and a filtered petrol tank 😎

right, let me get a clean A3 sheet of paper...

architecture draw GIF

On 17/08/2021 at 21:00, Turbogirlie said:

Don't spill E10 on any paintwork which isn't lacquered.....as it acts as a paint stripper...  

Took the tank off the GT to check the coils and fuel leaked from the tap over the gearbox casing...not a happy person now.  Worse than brake fluid.  

I did post of the effect it had on Perspex a few weeks ago after it splashed my windshield. Lesson learnt the hard way.

I use E5 which is the old "super" petrol or 97/98 octane.  Before I go away I fill my tank then it gets left for 3 to 5 months in an unheated garage. So far over the last 3 years it has started first time and run sweetly from the off. I doubt E5 premium fuel is going to disappear from Shell, BP, Esso etc. Supermarkets maybe but they often didn't sell premium fuel anyway. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 21:00, Turbogirlie said:

Don't spill E10 on any paintwork which isn't lacquered.....as it acts as a paint stripper...  

Took the tank off the GT to check the coils and fuel leaked from the tap over the gearbox casing...not a happy person now.  Worse than brake fluid.  

I'm going to go with "bollocks".

You are looking at an increase from 5% to 10% ethanol.  That is not suddenly going to turn your petrol into paint stripper.

Also, what do you think "Panel wipes" are?  Yep, they are 99% pure ethanol (actually Isopropanol).

If you have paint dissolved by alcohol you should have bought a modern bike and not a Harley! (kiddin).

Edited by PaulCa

Oh dear the doom merchants can’t give up. I’ve been using E10 in all of my petrol engines since 2009 when it was introduced into Germany. As all the cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, chainsaws, strimmers and outboard motors are E10 compliant there have been no problems, none at all. Even my 1931 Ford loves it! I’ve spilled a fair bit of E10 on paintwork an£ there has never been a problem. Get over it, Britain is more than 10 years behind in the case of introducing E10 and there’s a huge amount of data out there about which engines are affected if you are really concerned ask the manufacturer if not ignore the uninformed idiots and move forward. From the outside this sort of thread looks sad, very sad. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Who cares? If we want to use E5 we can use it. My manufacturer recommends it so that's what I'm using. If its sad for you I really don't give Well what a man! Admitting to be sad and afraid of moving on. Enjoy your rat’s whatevers and living in the past. Sad doesn’t really describe it. PS Your Ducati will run without any problem whatsoever on E10, luckily Ducati does give one. According to them E10 is fine. Who would I believe? The manufacturer or a dinosaur. 

I don't know what all the fuss is about to be honest! 

I checked the manual and it said I can use it so I have! 

I have compared both fuels and can't tell a difference :? 

• Thanks 1

I'm seeing no difference in fuel consumption with the E10 either I know there were tales of it making a slight difference I can't see it I can still get 330 to 350 miles at a push out of the Africa twins tank which is just great and over 60mpg

43 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

I've run the silverwing on E5 unleaded, E10 and some 102 octane race fuel and there were no noticeable differences in performance or economy.

There wouldn't be, because bike engine management systems don't have the ability to adapt to different octane values. They run at preset timings 

2 hours ago, DuRavary said:
2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Who cares? If we want to use E5 we can use it. My manufacturer recommends it so that's what I'm using. If its sad for you I really don't give Well what a man! Admitting to be sad and afraid of moving on. Enjoy your rat’s whatevers and living in the past. Sad doesn’t really describe it. PS Your Ducati will run without any problem whatsoever on E10, luckily Ducati does give one. According to them E10 is fine. Who would I believe? The manufacturer or a dinosaur. 

Christ on a crutch. I know the bloody bike will run on E10. If I'm somewhere where there's only E10 I'll use it. IMO it runs a bit rougher. I prefer E5 it's my bloody choice. Yes I'm a dinosaur - what are you? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Apparently my lawnmower won't be happy on E10. It will have to be as like hell am I putting super unleaded in it :lol:

Fastest lawnmower in town, least you can burn off all the other lawnmowers!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Christ on a crutch. I know the bloody bike will run on E10. If I'm somewhere where there's only E10 I'll use it. IMO it runs a bit rougher. I prefer E5 it's my bloody choice. Yes I'm a dinosaur - what are you? 

I'm a Lion 'roar'

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There wouldn't be, because bike engine management systems don't have the ability to adapt to different octane values. They run at preset timings 

Completely correct, the main point of higher octane fuel is for knock prevention allowing you to advance the ignition timing to gain power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

Completely correct, the main point of higher octane fuel is for knock prevention allowing you to advance the ignition timing to gain power.

Not entirety, if a bike has an o2 sensor it uses that to monitor how it's burning fuel and adjust within what it can, same as a car, some of the posher bikes have nock sensors to detect and retard ignition. 

11 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I'm seeing no difference in fuel consumption with the E10 either I know there were tales of it making a slight difference I can't see it I can still get 330 to 350 miles at a push out of the Africa twins tank which is just great and over 60mpg

I keep a record of all my full tank to full tank fill ups and the effect of using 95 E10 over 95 E5 or 98 is insignificant. The roads used make a much bigger difference as does riding style. With the car the biggest mpg killers are, (as you would expect) having anything on the roof rack but more surprisingly carrying a mountain bike on a rear mounted carrier. Aerodynamics are important. It’s also worth pointing out that over the years E10 sold in Germany and France, and probably other places, has been significantly cheaper than 95 E5. Another bonus. 

Just now, DuRavary said:

I keep a record of all my full tank to full tank fill ups and the effect of using 95 E10 over 95 E5 or 98 is insignificant. The roads used make a much bigger difference as does riding style. With the car the biggest mpg killers are, (as you would expect) having anything on the roof rack but more surprisingly carrying a mountain bike on a rear mounted carrier. Aerodynamics are important. It’s also worth pointing out that over the years E10 sold in Germany and France, and probably other places, has been significantly cheaper than 95 E5. Another bonus. 

HMRC will makes sure it's NOT significantly cheaper here that's for sure 

• Like 3

Did we lose the point of the original post somewhere? Nothing to do with whether your bike / lawnmower* / whatever is capable of running using the damned stuff, but the potential damage to unprotected surfaces. Having had to replace the screen on my bike at great expense, I think it’s a valid point.

* I do need to check my lawnmowers (yes, I have four - I used to be a gardener, and we have a lot of grass to cut here 🤔). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Did we lose the point of the original post somewhere? Nothing to do with whether your bike / lawnmower* / whatever is capable of running using the damned stuff, but the potential damage to unprotected surfaces. Having had to replace the screen on my bike at great expense, I think it’s a valid point.

* I do need to check my lawnmowers (yes, I have four - I used to be a gardener, and we have a lot of grass to cut here 🤔). 

I doubt E10 is any more destructive than E5 to be honest? Clean off petrol spillage ASAP on anything is a good idea.