Changes to the sale of Petrol in the UK - Summer 2021

Turbogirlie

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My bike is quite happy to run on E10 but as previously said I prefer to run it on the 97 octane stuff. Probably fallen victim to Shell marketing. I leave it with the tank full because it seems a better option than leaving it empty and possibly getting corrosion in the tank. 

All fuel tanks get water in them, regardless of fuel. this is why the outlet is never at the tanks lowest point. My habit for years has been to run the tank well into reserve and then fill up with a dose of Wynns dry fuel added, I tend to do this once a year at the start of winter. This homogenises any water into the fuel where it is burnt off and during the winter water is less likely to condense out as its a tad to cold for that to happen. water condenses out during the warmer months overnight as the tank and its contents cool down.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

E10 gas has a three-month shelf life maximum.

I put fuel stabiliser in my tank and always full to the brim.

not had problems so far.

on my old bike I changed the fuel lines that are e10 compatible.

On 03/07/2021 at 21:20, S-Westerly said:

Good reason for me not to use it as my bike is left for months at a time when I'm away and I like to fill the tank when I leave it.

Not sure why but when in Eu used e10 and consumption went to 5.5 l average on hundred km while in uk was 4.8.

when going on ship I will continue to drain the tank and leave it open, it’s another reason to spend day riding and another afternoon draining in garage 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Marino said:

Not sure why but when in Eu used e10 and consumption went to 5.5 l average on hundred km while in uk was 4.8.

when going on ship I will continue to drain the tank and leave it open, it’s another reason to spend day riding and another afternoon draining in garage 🤣🤣

Because ethanol has a lower energy density than petrol.

I wouldn't have expected quite such a dramatic reduction in fuel economy though - are you sure you weren't giving it the extra beans? :-D

2 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

Because ethanol has a lower energy density than petrol.

I wouldn't have expected quite such a dramatic reduction in fuel economy though - are you sure you weren't giving it the extra beans? :-D

Honestly not, I didn’t count autobahn as I went well over normal speeds, but even there on average speed of 180km/h I had 6.5litres/100km

On 130km/h it was 5.4 to 5.5, as soon I topped up in uk, just by the tunnel crossing it went to 4.8, average speed 75miles.

all across the Eu it was e10 petrol. I couldn’t go under 5.4l/100km

i don’t think that onboard computer was drunk in Eu, 

13 hours ago, Marino said:

Honestly not, I didn’t count autobahn as I went well over normal speeds, but even there on average speed of 180km/h I had 6.5litres/100km

On 130km/h it was 5.4 to 5.5, as soon I topped up in uk, just by the tunnel crossing it went to 4.8, average speed 75miles.

all across the Eu it was e10 petrol. I couldn’t go under 5.4l/100km

i don’t think that onboard computer was drunk in Eu, 

Interesting. I've noticed I get better consumption when I use 97 octane stuff over the 95. Sadly not enough to offset the price differential although using Shell's app means I do get a slight reduction overall. 

I fill the BMW with whatever's the highest octane available, as advised. In Wales last year I found a garage that only had 95 and the bike definitely ran rougher after filling up. It was really noticeable. 

In Switzerland in 2017 I found this Shell garage that had 100 octane (probably for the classic and sports cars that drive the passes). I was properly excited for a moment 😀

hqEvjqn.jpg

• Like 1

I did not notice any difference between 95 and 100 octane. In Croatia they have at almost every petrol station 100 octane and bike went same way as on 95, and consumption was slightly different, 0.2, 0.3litres per 100 km. 

You should see the price of 116 octane race fuel lol I think it worked out about £20 per litre last time I bought any.

Wouldn`t use it in a road bike but it has been tempting once or twice,

Cheers

Ian

• Sad 1

Modern cars engine management systems can sense the higher octane rating and advance the ignition slightly which is why you get better mpg with higher octane fuels. Bike engine management systems don't have this capacity so using higher octane will make no difference.

2 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

You should see the price of 116 octane race fuel lol I think it worked out about £20 per litre last time I bought any.

Cheers

Ian

£20  a litre !! ,i'd want a w**k and a pot noodle included in that .

Edited by Six30

30 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

What flavour pot noodle ?

Next time I am Santa Pod I will ask the lady in the shop how much it is now and give her your email you never know your luck!

Cheers

Ian

send a pic of the lady first  :thumb:

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Cheers

Ian

Not sure how much it helps, when I went to race track, they had 120 octane fuel, one of them told me no need as I will have to set compression ratio and some other stuff in order to have any effect.

I’m not an expert but have a sense, for my bike it says minimum 88 octane, doesn’t say about max.

22 minutes ago, Marino said:

Not sure how much it helps, when I went to race track, they had 120 octane fuel, one of them told me no need as I will have to set compression ratio and some other stuff in order to have any effect.

I’m not an expert but have a sense, for my bike it says minimum 88 octane, doesn’t say about max.

That's what I referred to above. Most bike can't tell the difference so there's no point using higher octane fuels. You need an engine management system that can sense the knock and adjust the ignition timing to make the most of high octane fuel. 

On 04/07/2021 at 17:48, S-Westerly said:

My bike is quite happy to run on E10 but as previously said I prefer to run it on the 97 octane stuff. Probably fallen victim to Shell marketing. I leave it with the tank full because it seems a better option than leaving it empty and possibly getting corrosion in the tank. 

Only reason to use 97octave on injection bike is when leaving it for months at a time.  Apparently injected bikes are set up for 95 and best run on it or so I was told. 
When I used to leave my bikes for months I would use good stuff before I left. Now I don’t bother, we’ll maybe for my 2 stroke outboard as the fuel can take a month or 2 to use.

The only reason I was using C16 or C120 was in the supercharged Busa as forced induction motors can be spectacular and expensive on pump gas.

Believe me I have seen a tank blown off by a complaining plenum chamber that let go at 175mph+ at Woodbridge a few years ago.

I often wondered if that fuel would be good for storage situations but the cost put me right off lol.

Cheers

Ian

According to owners manual MINIMUM octane is 95. E10 is allowed but any more than that is forbidden. I use 97 now and again and when I leave the bike. Doesn't seem to have caused any harm.