Rant of the day

MikeHorton

11 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Meanwhile in some godforsaken fly blown wilderness , scorched by a relentless sun , there stands the ruins of a deserted mental hospital / castanet factory . The windows are shattered now and a solitary shutter creaks and bangs as a mournful hot wind moans through the rusting bars . No sign of life now except a dried up turd in a corner left by a long dead shepherd in 1973 . But wait .... What is this I see ? There are two motorbikes parked outside in the baking sun . Can it be ?  ....... To be continued ( not really ) 

I found your use of the turd to be very emotive 😁 

9 hours ago, fastbob said:

Meanwhile in some godforsaken fly blown wilderness , scorched by a relentless sun , there stands the ruins of a deserted mental hospital / castanet factory . The windows are shattered now and a solitary shutter creaks and bangs as a mournful hot wind moans through the rusting bars . No sign of life now except a dried up turd in a corner left by a long dead shepherd in 1973 . But wait .... What is this I see ? There are two motorbikes parked outside in the baking sun . Can it be ?  ....... To be continued ( not really ) 

You sir, have missed your vocation in life. Such command of the pen stirs even the most weary of souls. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Artistic license old bean.

Phone screen to be precise . I pound a keyboard all day at work . 

• 3 weeks later...

I hate my internet provider!!!

Called them, 8th in the waiting list.

To make it worse, got the option of call back.

15min later got the call.

less than 10 min and the dropping connection problem is solved and everything running properly.

I hate when I can't have a good complain. 😋

• Haha 2

Local government clowns have started emailing over half the population of Northern Ireland asking for highly sensitive PII (personal identifable information).  Stuff like bank statements, passport, birth certificate.

Only, they didn't.  They got a little small 3rd party IT company to do it.

So it literally looks 99% like a scam.  When you phone up this 3rd party company handling the scheme the say it's legit, better do it, or you won't get the voucher for the scheme.

It has no links to the government, no SSL certificate for same.  It's not gov.uk.  They threaten you with 7 days notice in bold red.  The website to submit the information is public, makes no reference to the government.  No Privacy policy, no data protection information, no terms and conditions.  It really looks like a scam.

Heads will roll.  I've already complained to the ICO and the government department behind this as I for one will NOT be uploading that kind of data to a random 3rd party unless they at least look legit and act responsibly.

</rant>

• Like 3

My rant is APC Delivery people.

I arrange my day to make sure is home for the 1420 to 1620 delivery time allocated at 0929 this morning.

To find that the guy is no where insight when I get home.

I empty bits out of car and find note in porch and a text on my phone, we tried to deliver a 1616.  

Most annoying as we live in an estate that has one road in and out and I passed no delivery vans so he was considerably earlier than the text.

I phoned up and was advised it’s only an estimated delivery time, the van has left the area. I did suggest how far could he of got in 12 minutes and request they turn it round but the controller was not interested.

These are the company’s who’s computer given my post code generated my address wrong (same address but one is court the other way different post codes) then refused to deliver to me even though the post code was correct….

In the end if recall I spoke to the house they where trying to deliver to who agreed to accepted the parcel. However the driver on that day decide it was sensible to deliver it to the person working on his motorbike in the front garden rather than the old man on crutches.

a quick google says it all 2.5 Stars ⭐⭐️ 

Edited by onesea

I've designed the control system for a gas fired generator set for a company in London. 

It's a district heating job, this unit just shy of 1MW of power is going to supply power and heat to 12 blocks of flats around it. It will run whenever there is heat demand, and is located in an underground plantroom. It has an SCR (urea exhaust dosing system to eliminate NOx emissions).

The client is a funny one, they go from radio silence to demanding answers for various queries, and its become apparent there's a contractor they are using who are meant to be arranging the install, but are a bit clueless. 

I've recently noticed something, the engine is housed in a container with a ventilation system plumbed into it. But the exhaust pipe leading to the SCR, and then onto the building exterior is external to this, along with the main breaker panel, auxiliary power panel, and overall control panel. It's a tight plantroom, and even though the pipework is lagged, it will still be 50-60 degrees touch temperature. 

I asked them "You're ventilating the engine bay, but what about the plantroom? I can't see any temperature control system in place and you've got a exhaust pipe that won't be perfectly lagged that gets up to 400 degrees..."

And all hell has broken loose. Client is basically screaming that we should have warned them. We've reminded them that they told us that all calculations had been completed for cable runs, and heat calcs for the room, we are only worried about the engine bay. So next week is going to be fun as I've just finished by sending some Friday afternoon bombs.

• Haha 2

On 28/10/2021 at 16:56, onesea said:

My rant is APC Delivery people.

I arrange my day to make sure is home for the 1420 to 1620 delivery time allocated at 0929 this morning.

To find that the guy is no where insight when I get home.

I empty bits out of car and find note in porch and a text on my phone, we tried to deliver a 1616.  

Most annoying as we live in an estate that has one road in and out and I passed no delivery vans so he was considerably earlier than the text.

I phoned up and was advised it’s only an estimated delivery time, the van has left the area. I did suggest how far could he of got in 12 minutes and request they turn it round but the controller was not interested.

These are the company’s who’s computer given my post code generated my address wrong (same address but one is court the other way different post codes) then refused to deliver to me even though the post code was correct….

In the end if recall I spoke to the house they where trying to deliver to who agreed to accepted the parcel. However the driver on that day decide it was sensible to deliver it to the person working on his motorbike in the front garden rather than the old man on crutches.

a quick google says it all 2.5 Stars ⭐⭐️ 

To carry on with yesterday's rant, I had to drive to the depot in person today.

It wasn't on today's delivery.

I get there to find another person from the same town with exactly the same complaint.

There are roadworks on the route my wife uses for work, due to have finished in August but still ongoing.

So she's driving through them this afternoon and a lump of stone bounces up and goes through the windscreen. £75 it's going to cost as excess. 😪

2 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Is that not negligence by the contractor for not ensuring the road is debris free? 

Given the amount of traffic on the road, including farm vehicles, there's no way to prove where the debris originated.

• Sad 1

Yes there is, and the insurance company should look into it.

According to UK law, it is the responsibility of the main contractor to ensure public roads are maintained safe during works.

Also, according to H&S board, contractors have the duty of care for the safety of road users and will be responsible for any damages inflicted to the general public for the duration of the works.

Debris from a farm, generally small size gravel or mud, is completely different from debris coming from a construction site. In the lather you will be highly likely to find small or medium size  stones capable to damage vehicles or even worse to wound someone if the preventive measures in place are not adequate.

Main contractors have the duty to prevent any accident or near misses that it may occur in and around the site.

Personally, I would pursue a claim to the contractors public liability insurance.