Exhaust headers blue … cause for concern?

Davidtav

I have a Kawasaki Z650. Almost three years old. Had it from new. Been serviced at main dealers regularly. All seems to work perfectly. … one thing that irritates me a bit though is that the exhaust headers have developed this blue tinge. Now I know, from a Facebook group, this isn’t exceptional. But to me it does seem wrong. Makes me think the bike is getting too hot. Possibly running a bit lean. The temperature gauge seems to work ok. The fan comes on properly when sat in traffic. The blue tinge has become more noticeable over the last 12 months. As I’ve started to ride it more spiritedly perhaps … anyway I just wondered what you guys think?  Should I be concerned at all?  Or just accept this is what modern bikes are like? … yes I know the bike needs a clean!

Heres a pic

EDDC7250-7A3C-435D-A3C4-8B12B1641712.jpeg

@bonio is perfectly correct about the harpic but please ensure it is the max strength one in the black bottle !

Think yourself lucky you don`t own a 60`s Norton or Triumph or the tightly bending BMW flat twins as blue was definitely prevalent.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

Its completely normal.. forget about it.

heat steel to 500c or higher and it turns blue. you can clean it if you want but it will only happen again. and again. and again. 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Funnily enough I was just reading a post on the Bobber forum where a guy was complaining his headers hadn't changed colour.

The advice was to go out and ride it properly.

😂 Yup got to get hot enough or its not going to happen 

15 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

The header on my Himalayan has gone a light brown, like most Himalayans. Stainless steel but possibly not the best grade ... looks ok though.

Stainless goes different colours depending on heat, brown indicates not overly hot. 

• Like 2

The Kawasaki Z650 is basically the old ER in a new name, and it does run lean when it's in eco mode. It does this to save fuel, so if you cruise at 70mph it will blue up those pipes over time as the exhaust temp will increase. 

Nothing to worry about, all part of the normal operation of the bike to meet EU emission rules. Doesn't seem to have impacted reliability.

• Like 1

Please be careful using any product that contains Hydrochloric acid on 300 series stainless steel parts. It can cause pitting and stress cracking, some grades are more corrosion resistant.

Just use Harpic etc in the loo.

• Like 2