Jet washing and snow foaming a motorbike

Stu

The jet washing always causes a stir when people mention it :lol: 

I belong to a local facebook group for bikers and there a detailer on there who put a photo on of a someone snow foaming a motorbike with the caption of "This is not a professional wash this is just laziness snow foam is not for motorbikes and neither is jet washing" 

I then questioned it basically asking for evidence of such a statement and the reasons why it bad for a bike! 

He then deleted the post and never answered me! 

So is that admission that snow foam and jet washing is fine for bikes? after all if a "professional! cant give me the reasons why its not then it must have been a false advert he put out there! 

I have snow foamed my bike and jet washed it a lot 

I also did a test many years ago that I did post on here where I got two sealed wheel bearings and I jet washed them at point blank range and they never let a drop of water in past the seals! When you bear in mind you have a wheel bearing then a dust seal how can jet washing be dangerous to the wheel bearings like people claim? 

Electrics yes you have to be a little mindful but if you are using a jet wash in such a way that water is being pin pointed to one spot then things will go wrong! 

You just have to be mindful and simply not too close 

Discuss...........

This "professional" detailer I speak of also says everyone should use waterless cleaning products! 

I couldn't think of anything worse to be honest! I like to get as much off as possible first then use plenty of water on a mitt 

• Like 1

I've got some waterless cleaner for the car. Its crap!! :lol:

It also states on the bottle you should clean the bulk of any dirt off first before using it. What with I wonder? :scratch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never seen the need for a jet washer. Bit old fashioned I guess. I just use a bucket of warm water with a capful of Wilco own brand car wash.  A large microfibre cloth, which is only used for the bike and goes in the washer afterwards and then after a rinse off, let the bike dry naturally. Finally a polish off with another microfibre cloth with a dab of polish on it. Vinegar based cleaner for the mirrors and light lenses to get rid of any watermarks and a bit of wd40 to wipe down the wheel rims. No fuss, takes about an hour with a coffee break. The bike lives outside so there’s not much point obsessing about it.

F5F6C88D-EDEF-4C1C-AF21-E2A217C37BCA.thumb.jpeg.ce36f60f12bcf407f1e5227f636e9435.jpeg

• Like 5

Owners handbook advises against power washing in way of electrics. As mine lives outside except when I'm away it gets washed by hand with warm water, some of my wife's  car shampoo and a microfibre cloth. Brush the wheels etc. and then dry with another microfibre cloth. If its really heavily crusted I wash off the thick crud first with a garden hose.

Snow foam for me but primarily as laziness, snow foam wipe with cloth jetwash. Snow foam again and get wash to rinse.

Regarding jet washes there many sizes and powers, for example:
1)The one at work is industrial job and I stand 3 foot away and use with caution.

2) My one at home was carefully selected by my mum so as not to cup it into teak decking or rip sealant from under deck fittings.  That one I find a get a better clean with because I don’t mind putting the nozzle into the corners.

• Like 1

Washing the bike is my least favourite part of ownership so I’m all for snowfoam and jet wash, followed by a once over with a cheap car shampoo using a sponge if required. I am cautious with how I use the jet wash, though, keeping it a decent distance from moving parts, electrics etc. 

I occasionally use waterless wipes to clean the “dark side” of the frame rails as they’re tricky to get to by any other means. 

So far, so good… 😁

• Like 1

I jet wash then use a sponge to wash it with car detergent and jet wash to rinse on low power setting.

Always careful with wheel bearings and I don't aim the jet to them.

Then use the chamois (same as for the car) to dry it.

Doing this since 2015 when I bought the Pan and never had issues.

I use the sponge with a bucket because I always wash the car and the 2 bikes at same time because I can't be arsed to do one only.

I had never heard of snow foam until reading this thread. 

My procedure is to first spray the wheels and any manky bits with Screwfix No Nonsense degreaser. Out of a spray bottle. Then I hose the bike down with plain water from a garden hose. Dry off with a micro fibre cloth. Finally I leave a film of WD40 over the engine, fork legs etc. … my bike has a flat paint finish. And my cousin, who has worked with car repairs, warned me never to put any wax near it. So I never have. 

Works for me. Although my bike is never used on salty roads. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davidtav said:

My procedure is to first spray the wheels and any manky bits with Screwfix No Nonsense degreaser

I have never thought of doing this! 

I have a few bottles in the garage I may give it a go although to be honest I haven't had an issue with just washing the wheels as I would the bike 

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have never thought of doing this! 

I have a few bottles in the garage I may give it a go although to be honest I haven't had an issue with just washing the wheels as I would the bike 

It works very well at getting any oily residue off the wheels before washing them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It works very well at getting any oily residue off the wheels before washing them. 

Does it help with brake dust? 

I've always jet washed and used Auto Glym snow foam.  Especially my enduro bike,  it was jet washed every time I got back in from the trails, I never had any problems.  I do have the jet wash set on low power mode,  and as has already been mentioned, avoid direct water pressure on anything electrical.  Other than that I can't really see what the issue is.....As an after thought, during winter months to get the road salt off, I always use Salt Away or Blu Thru.  They work an absolute treat, plus they leave a protective film on the bike after washing.

Edited by manxie49
  • Like 1

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

No idea, I don't use the rear brake enough to make a lot of dust on the wheel.

Same but I am thinking of the car :thumb: 

I snow foam and never had any issues, the main difference is when using a jet wash I always have the head a few feet away.

I know bearings are good at dealing with these environments, but chains not so much IMHO. So Most of the bike is fine, but chain and brakes are the two main area's I would use lower pressure.

Bucket of water, some car wash shampoo and a sponge. Cold water rinse before and after then microfibre cloths to dry off. If I can be arsed, Mr Sheen for a shine. Done that for years. 

For a quick wash:

• Wet the bike.
  • Snow foam.
  • Cuppa.
  • Careful pressure wash (a few feet away on soft).
  • Blow dry with an 18v cheapo blower.
  • Finish with a microfibre cloth.
  • Oil the chain.

Slightly longer wash:

• Degrease and clean the chain.
  • Spray brake cleaner on the brakes.
  • Wet the bike.
  • Snow foam.
  • Cuppa.
  • Careful pressure wash (a few feet away on soft).
  • Spray with Muc-Off.
  • Snack.
  • Rinse off. (Gentle pressure wash).
  • Blower.
  • Microfibre cloth dry/polish.
  • XCP underneath and vulnerable bits.
  • Oil the chain.

Not saying it's the best way to do things, interested to read other responses.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Same but I am thinking of the car :thumb: 

I'll try it sometime but it's more of a degreaser and brake dust isn't greasy. I find that snowfoam, then rinse off, then use Jif/CIF on the wheels gets rid of brake dust marks. 

43 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I'll try it sometime but it's more of a degreaser and brake dust isn't greasy. I find that snowfoam, then rinse off, then use Jif/CIF on the wheels gets rid of brake dust marks. 

I now its a degreaser but I know this stuff is known to take paint off so you never know if it will attack brake dust too 

16 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Never seen the need for a jet washer. Bit old fashioned I guess. I just use a bucket of warm water with a capful of Wilco own brand car wash.  A large microfibre cloth, which is only used for the bike and goes in the washer afterwards and then after a rinse off, let the bike dry naturally. Finally a polish off with another microfibre cloth with a dab of polish on it. Vinegar based cleaner for the mirrors and light lenses to get rid of any watermarks and a bit of wd40 to wipe down the wheel rims. No fuss, takes about an hour with a coffee break. The bike lives outside so there’s not much point obsessing about it.

F5F6C88D-EDEF-4C1C-AF21-E2A217C37BCA.thumb.jpeg.ce36f60f12bcf407f1e5227f636e9435.jpeg

Similar process to me, except it takes me 4 hours with no coffee break xD ..and I usually find I haven't cleaned the wheels properly the next day either!